IT Career Advice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RynoISU, Mar 18, 2011.

1. RynoISU

RynoISU New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Urbandale, IA
    My wife and I are moving back to Des Moines in the next few months, and I am looking to get a full time job in the IT field. I do not have any formal education or certifications in IT, but I do have a degree in another field. My current job requires me to do a lot of IT-related tasks, (dekstop/server management, hardware/software troubleshooting, etc.) so I would say that I have more experience than the average joe, but still have a ways to go. Hopefully, I can get a decent, entry level job that allows me to get more experience and eventually some certifications. If anyone has any advice, suggestions, or job leads, they would be greatly appreciated as I am relatively green when it comes to this field.

Thanks,

2. cs6804

cs6804 Member

Nov 2, 2009
    don't block sport sites.

• Like Like x 1
  3. azepp

azepp Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Ankeny
    Weren't you looking for an insurance job recently? Are you looking for an IT job in the insurance industry?

4. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    I would think you'd be able to find a help desk type position without certifications and what not, maybe an IT job with a company related to your degree.

5. RynoISU

RynoISU New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Urbandale, IA
    I apologize if my posts are too self-serving for this board. If they are, feel free to ignore them. I just feel like this is a good community of people in Central Iowa to gauge some opinions.

I have insurance experience with a former job, so I am still keeping that option open, but recently I have been thinking about parlaying my experience into an IT job, since most companies seem to have plenty of IT jobs available. An ideal situation would be one where I can take advantage of both skill sets.

6. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    Get some certifications.

7. RynoISU

RynoISU New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Urbandale, IA
    Are there any that you suggest? I don't even know where to start.

8. HandSanitizer

HandSanitizer Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    NA
    Central US
    #8 HandSanitizer, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
    Here is what I wouuld do.

Get A+ and Network + Certified. It will cost you some time and a couple hundred bucks, but will get your resume higher in the pile if you know what I mean.

If you want a leg up you may want to look at MCTS Win7 also.
    Lots of companies wanting to upgrade to Windows 7 soon.

I have hired entry level IT jobs in the past and the 3 things I looked for were education, A+, N+. I would use those items to get 500 resumes to a few.
    Then I create a list of 3-5 to interview.
    Then make the decision on all items combined. (along with the panel)

Good luck man! Sell yourself and be confident.

9. RynoISU

RynoISU New Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Urbandale, IA
    Thanks for the info. That gives me a good place to start. Are the certifications you mentioned ones where I need to take a class, or do I just get the study materials and take the test?

My wife already has a job lined up, and if I end up being jobless for a while, I might try to knock those out sooner rather than later.

10. greatshu

greatshu Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2007
    KS
    You def need some type of education or certification if you want real IT job. Employers may go after newly IT related grads with less experience because they can hire them cheaper. You will need to match your experience with education/certification.

11. azepp

azepp Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Ankeny
    No apology needed. IT is a big field and I was trying to get a feel for what you might be interested in.

I agree with what the others said about getting certifications. Not only will it help you market yourself, but it will also help you identify specific areas you enjoy or want to avoid. Browse available online job postings and see what certifications they're asking for to help you identify what the market demands.

12. Cy4Patriots

Cy4Patriots Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2011
    IT
    Every company is different, but the company I work for doesn't care for certifications, obviously they're not a bad thing, but not something that really is a make or break.

They live by the, "you may be good at taking tests, but can you handle the real world" motto. Which is true to an extent, you may be able to study given problems, but not all problems can be studied before hand. Also, much of the "helpdesk" jobs are working with customers and you have to be really good with people, which believe it or not is not always a given.

Also, lots of PATIENCE are necessary. :yes:

13. tec71

tec71 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Executive Director
    Ankeny, Iowa
    This is good advice. There are lots out there with education and experience in that particular field. You will need some certifications, not as much to prove that you knwo the stuff, but more so to show that you are indeed really trying to move into that field.

14. TykeClone

TykeClone Burgermeister!

Oct 18, 2006
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8&NR=1]YouTube - IT Crowd - Have You Tried Turning It Off And On Again?[/ame]

• Like Like x 2
  15. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Management/Sales
    Hudson, Iowa
    My brother in law makes a pretty good living at IT work without a degree at all. My wife has another cousin with a 2 year degree in a similar situation. Degree requirements don't seem to be quite as high in that area as some.

16. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    • Like Like x 1
  17. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member Bookie

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    Certifications are nice, but one good thing to do is get hooked up with a temp agency and have them toss you into some basic servicedesk/helpdesk type positions to get some experience. I have hired 2 temps this last year and then offered them full time positions once their temp contract was up. It is a great way for me to try before I buy.

IT is a good field if you can handle the 24/7 workday and being on call all the time. It is stressful, but pays well.

• Like Like x 2
  18. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Network and Server Admini
    #19 bos, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
    To me, there arent a whole lot of certs that mean anything. You have to have proven that you have performed the tasks behind it and so many applicants havent. Cisco certs will get you higher paying jobs it seems and look better on a resume. A+ really is a worthless cert anymore. I was lucky enough to get my foot in the door on my first IT job without the need of certifications. My boss at the time was more interested in my know how and ability to find answers when I didnt have them. As mentioned before, dont underestimate the power of people skills. If you can communicate effectively and have a decent set of computer troubleshooting skills you should be able to find a help desk job if they are available.

19. HandSanitizer

HandSanitizer Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    NA
    Central US
    When I said I looked at certifications....It was one of the ways I took a stack of 500 to 10 for a PC Tech job. Then you have to talk and get a feel for the person to make a hire. You can pretty much tell if someone is a "Brain dump and test taker" by talking to them for an hour.

So if you wanted to make the cut at the place I was working for you needed to have an A+ Cert and some education in the field.