ISU vs Iowa MBB ending?

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by acgclone, Dec 8, 2011.

1. acgclone

acgclone Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2007
    It sounds like Fran is scared to play ISU, not to mention Drake/UNI. It would be a shame if this rivalry ended, IMO.

I would be ashamed if I were a Hawk fan if my coach talked about major conference opponents like this......

McCaffery: Iowa has uncertain rivalry futures

2. ISUAgronomist

ISUAgronomist Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Ag Research
    Close Enough, IA
    Rivalry will go nowhere as long as a corporate sponsor exists IMO.

3. CyBer

CyBer Guest

I hope we kill them tomorrow.

4. NATEizKING

NATEizKING Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Hilton
    Don't believe it for a second.

5. JUKEBOX

JUKEBOX Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Iowa always quits the rivalry when they start losing.

See 1934 in football.

6. Drive4cy

Drive4cy Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2006
    I can see getting rid of UNI and Drake but I can't imagine Iowa and ISU not playing yearly.

7. Moreover, how could Iowa play Drake and/or UNI in any given year and not ISU?

8. CYdTracked

CYdTracked Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    If Iowa quits playing the in-state teams in order to schedule 3 more cupcake teams then Iowa basketball has reached a new low. I don't see the rivalry games going away, on any given year all 4 schools have been more competitive than the other.

9. dtclones

dtclones Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Des Moines
    The comment about Iowa State not being a rival makes Fran sound pretty ignorant. It is a rivalry even if they don't "have to go through us to win the championship." He clearly doesn't understand what match-ups like this mean to the state of Iowa, even for sports other than football.

10. Rhoadhoused

Rhoadhoused Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Student
    Ames, IA
    I thought he was quoted saying something like "I can't imagine the home and home series between Iowa and ISU changing." This was in response to a Big 4 tournament.

11. Three4Cy

Three4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    West Des Moines
    Dropping us to play Kansas, UCONN, Duke - makes sense to me - NOT. The PR out of Iowa has not had a good week in relation to in-state games.

12. The money quote was when he said they may want to take on Kansas, Duke, or UNC in future years.

13. ISUAgronomist

ISUAgronomist Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Ag Research
    Close Enough, IA
    KU, Duke, and UNC need cupcake games too.

14. flander1649

flander1649 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Kansas City
    I thought there was an State of Iowa law in place that all 4 schools were to play each other. I don't know why people keep bringing this up.

15. CyBer

CyBer Guest

I just find it funny that Fran wants to play Duke and Kansas, would have been funny this year, I think Duke and Kansas would break all their records.

16. CyBroncos

CyBroncos Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2010
    West Des Moines
    “In any given year, you might want to take on Kansas or Duke or North Carolina,” McCaffery said. “You might have an opportunity to have a TV game like that, and if you don’t have that flexibility in your schedule, you can’t play those games.
    “When I’ve got a good team, I want to take everybody on. I want to be on television. It’s our responsibility to do that, and I think you have to look at the big picture moving forward.”

Little message for Fran

1. Who says teams like Kansas, Duke and UNC want to play you?
    2. When you have a good team? When will that be? Try beating Campbell first

17. jdvoss4cy

jdvoss4cy New Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Student
    Ames
    What a moron!

BTW when does he plan on having a good team?

18. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    If I were Fran, I'd be scared to play anybody. And that would make me mad, again and again and again.

19. Zing! This must mean that Iowa's taking over Michigan State's role as "Big Ten cannon fodder" for UNC/Duke's early season games each year.

20. CYdTracked

CYdTracked Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    I still find it hilarious how Squawk fans always call us "little brother" but its been Iowa that keeps initiating all these talks about possibly ending the various series with ISU lately. If we were indeed little brother wouldn't we just be another cupcake on their schedule every year? Funny when all the sudden that they get beat a few times all the sudden the stance is "these in-state games don't make sense anymore"