ISU surplus sale

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bpmcclain, Jun 1, 2011.

1. bpmcclain

bpmcclain Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Ames
    Has anyone been to one of these? If so, is it possible to get a decent desktop for around $100?

2. besserheimerphat

besserheimerphat Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Product Engineer
    Mount Vernon, WA
    I used to work the surplus sales while going to school (graduated in 04), and unless things have changed the computers they sell are pretty horrible. The people I remember buying them would buy them by the pallet just to get memory out of them. They tend to be rejects from computer labs and staff offices. The nicer stuff gets recycled around the departments untill they are outdated enough to send to surplus.

I always thought the best items to get from surplus were desks, file cabinets and shelves. They may be dirty or kind of rough, but they're heavy duty.

3. ISUCyclone06

ISUCyclone06 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Quality
    Greensboro, NC
    Ya the above comment is right on. I have been to many unless your looking for useless random stuff these sales are left over junk. There may be a diamond in the rough type item but you have to get there early, computers are not and item you'd want to get from there, unless you want an older mac on the cheap.

4. bpmcclain

bpmcclain Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Ames
    All right. Guess Ill look elsewhere. Thanks for the info

5. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    You could possibly get a an average but out dated computer for ~$150, I think that's what I paid for one when I needed a second machine awhile back. But it would just depend on what they have on hand at the time I assume. If it's something that is for web browsing or email and similar functions it would work though.