ISU students among worst in movie piracy

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by SlyCy, Apr 2, 2007.

1. SlyCy

SlyCy Member

Apr 17, 2006
    North Liberty, Iowa
    LINK

ISU students among worst in movie piracy

By Diane Heldt

The Gazette
    diane.heldt@gazettecommunications.com

AMES - Iowa State University students are among the worst offenders nationally when it comes to movie piracy, according to a recent article in the Chronicle of Higher Education.

The list of the 25 universities considered to be the ``worst offenders'' by the Motion Picture Association of America was released last month.

The list was complied at the request of the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on the Judiciary, and it's based on the number of copyright infringement notices received by the schools during the 2006-07 year. The infringement notices inform a college about students possibly illegally downloading copyrighted material.

ISU's total of 586 copyright infringement notices ranked the university 15th nationally. ISU was the only Iowa college or university listed. Columbia University in New York City topped the list, with 1,198 notices.

A similar list was released in February by the Recording Industry Association of America to measure the worst campus offenders for illegal music downloads. No Iowa college or university made that list of 25, which was topped by Ohio University with 1,287 infringement notices.

2. JordanHXC

JordanHXC Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Freight Broker/Musician
    Omaha
    i definitly miss strange search...he he

3. crash_zone

crash_zone Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Engineer
    Tiffin, IA
    That thing was the best! When they finally shut it down - wasn't about 80% of the student body using it? It had everything (movies, music, copies of Windows, etc.).

4. HandSanitizer

HandSanitizer Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    NA
    Central US
  5. jtd9046

jtd9046 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Sales
    Chicago
    Strange Search was awesome! My 80's music collection is still thankful to this day.

6. wartknight

wartknight Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    This should help us in the All-Sports standings right?

7. sodakjoe

sodakjoe Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
    You know, there's a possibility that we're only on this list because we actually have people enforcing the rule...I'm sure that there are a lot of other schools that are much more lax about reporting these kinds of things.

8. crash_zone

crash_zone Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Engineer
    Tiffin, IA
    Actually it said that it was based on the letter sent from the Movie companies to ISU - so we are just getting caught more.....maybe?

9. jpete24

jpete24 Well-Known Member

Cover your tracks up better there computer nerds....

10. redrocker

redrocker Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    M.M.F.I.C.
    Ames - West-CY'd

If not, it should be a category in the Cy-Hawk Trophy from Hy Vee.:yes4lo:

11. DareDevil

DareDevil Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Male
    Team Leader
    Muscatine
    I have got in trouble a few times from not downloading stuff the right way, but I only download tv shows if I happen to miss them.

12. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    Nice... Pos rep for you, that made me laugh

13. A liberal

A liberal Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Student
    Campus
    Just get AresLite and as soon as the song or movie is done downloading, just uncheck "share file"

14. iowast8fan

iowast8fan Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Ankeny
    Iowa is not on the list because half of the student body in Iowa City doesn't know how to use a computer.

15. ornryactor

ornryactor Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Ames
    I wear this designation as a badge of honor! Screw the RIAA and MPAA. And for those of you who remember Strange Search, it has been replaced, to some extent. A bunch of CpE's wrote a program called WASTE a few years back (I think you can a flavor of it on SourceForge) that's now used by a lot of students. It's basically just a p2p program, but the only way you can get into the network is to have someone else who's already in it (and knows what they're doing) set it up for you. Plus, since it's not web-based, all the transfer activity takes place *within* an individual building's network, which the network police can't see (they can only see in and out of a building). It's fantabulous.

16. Knownothing

Knownothing Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2006
    If you are cheating the system by breaking the law downloading movies then you should be kicked off this website. We are supposed to act better at Iowa State University. It gives Iowa State a black eye. You all should be ashamed and it better not happen again.

P.S Sarcasme is directed at those who keep throwing our players who get in minor trouble under the bus.

17. CTAClone

CTAClone Addict

Mar 28, 2006
    First Assistant Director
    Amerika
    The MPAA is a joke. Their rating system is flawed and they hire rich actors like Ben Affleck to do an anti-piracy commercial. It was the funniest thing ever. No one likes Ben Affleck to begin with, and no one is going to sob for a Rich Actor that gets a few movies stolen.

Another thing that is funny, is that the MPAA really has no legal power. There the ones that Rate every movie, but you don't have to have a movie rated. They have an agreement with NATO (National Association of Theater Owners) that they will only show films that they rate. And if they don't rate them, then they will be NC-17. The whole thing is a joke and a money scam, but it does help parents know what their kids can watch. Sort of.

18. ISUboi12

ISUboi12 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    dsm
  19. AirWalke

AirWalke Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Des Moines
    #19 AirWalke, Apr 4, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
    It's funny that the MPAA is complaining about piracy when movie ticket sales have been climbing since 2005. Ridiculous.

20. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Network and Server Admini
    God bless you every one. I miss the ISU network =(