Is all of this Mizzou's Fault?

Discussion in 'Big XII Conference' started by QBUMizzou, Sep 18, 2011.

1. QBUMizzou

QBUMizzou Member

Jul 21, 2011
    I hope it's okay to paste this post from BaylorFans message board. If it's not, feel free to remove it. I just find the logic behind the post fascinating. It's from a poster with the username Sammy11.

I will post some commentary shortly.

2. QBUMizzou

QBUMizzou Member

Jul 21, 2011
    In my opinion, this is hilarious. It involves an enormous stretch in logic. The idea that Jay Nixon spoke as an agent of the University of Missouri is absolutely laughable.

I mean, really? The governor of Missouri is to blame for all of this?

Over the past year and a half I half been angry and amused at all of the writers, message board posters and media nitwits who have used Nixon's comments to excoriate Mizzou. The most common insult is that Mizzou "lifted its skirt" for the B1G. Well if Nixon's comment is construed as "lifting one's skirt" a lot of schools have taken things a bit further. They've removed their panties for any and all potential suitors.

On the whole, Nixon's comments ring true. Unfortunately, he showed a complete lack of decorum by speaking so publicly.

So, do you folks think all of the conference expansion crud is Mizzou's fault?

3. digZ

digZ Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Colorado
    I wouldn't say it's their fault persay. They did kind of "stir the pot" so to speak. The teams that moved, wanted to move before hand, and used the governer's statements as a scapegoat. Without his statements, this whole thing is a PR nightmare for the schools leaving and ditching everyone. But with the governor of Missouri making such public ovations on behalf of Missour(whether or not he is an agent of the University), gave Nebraska the political cover they needed to take their ball and leave Texas. CU is a different story. They left because they were worried about being left out in an expansion frenzy. So without the governer, this stuff probably doesn't unfold in the way that it did, but that's not to say the schools who left(or want to leave now) didn't have these intentions before Mizzou started talking.

So is Missouri at fault? No, there are a lot of parties at fault and it really is a huge mess with no one party as clearly guilty of starting it. But to say they are completely innocent is probably false too. They have been very tight lipped this time around, along with all the other North schools, which is very professional and good business on their part.

4. justcynn

justcynn Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Cabot, AR
    YEP....NM

ok maybe not, but Missouri proved what not to do in realignment, talk. Iowa State fans are frustrated with the lack of info including myself, but if we end up ok in the end it will have been worth it.

The answer to your question is Texas, Nebraska, OU and A&M - they voted against long term stability at every turn.

5. cyman05

cyman05 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010

Let's examine what event immediately preceded Gov. Nixon's comment in Dec 2009...Mizzou had gotten passed over not too long before in the bowl pecking order by other teams that travel better, then in Dec 2009 they got passed over in favor of Iowa State for the Insight.com bowl. That just enraged Mizzou enough to cause the governor to chime in about his frustrations with the Big 12.

So really I guess all the instability in the Big 12 started with all the other Big 12 schools being jealous of Iowa State's fan base and support. But what can we say, don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

• Like Like x 1
  6. everyyard

everyyard Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Male
    At some level...yep. Also to blame: Texa$, Tammy, OU, nebbie, and any others that wouldn't agree to revenue sharing but now are running to it.

7. besserheimerphat

besserheimerphat Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Product Engineer
    Mount Vernon, WA
    My first thought was no, but you made a pretty convincing arguement :twitcy:

8. QBUMizzou

QBUMizzou Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Love it!:yes:

9. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    Not all Mizzou's fault, but they sure didn't help. It made it easier for Nebraska to quietly go about doing what they wanted to do anyway.

10. QBUMizzou

QBUMizzou Member

Jul 21, 2011
    You are absolutely right about that. Still pisses me off just thinking about it. One caveat, however. It's not all about who travels better. Mizzou and Arkansas sold out the Cotton Bowl a few years ago, but last year, even though Mizzou had a better record than A&M, and had crushed the snot out of them in College Station, the Cotton Bowl chose A&M over them.

That really, really sucks. And it gets old.

11. SCNCY

SCNCY Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    La Fox, IL
    I think it all started with the Big 10, not by saying they were expanding, but that they could expand to 14 or 16 teams. One team would not have been a big deal (and for the most part it wasn't). But the 14 to 16 team got everyone worried and started to look out for themselves before thinking. 5 teams moving in to one conference would have been a big chain reaction for all of college football.

12. GoSTATE71

GoSTATE71 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2008
    Okay and you think that doesn't happen in other conferences? I can think of northwestern being snubbed a few times despite having a better record than Iowa, but lets face it Iowa's fan base travels just as good as anyone in the country, would northwestern travel that well? No, its about money. I think the only reason Iowa state was picked over you guys a couple years ago was because we had a football team that hadn't seen a bowl game in awhile and the committees knew that Iowa state fans would flock regardless of where they went. Would missouri fans really wanna play minnesota in the insight bowl? How many fans would of really went to that game. I know missouri fans are extremely supportive but i also don't think missouri fans bother to much for small time games as your program has had high levels of success and is more of a big time program wanting big time bowl games

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tank

Tank Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Pilot
    Niceville, FL
    I blame Texas!

14. QBUMizzou

QBUMizzou Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Hard to argue with you. Still sucks if you're a die-hard Mizzou fan.

15. Farnsworth

Farnsworth Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Des Moines, IA
    I'm so fed up with this money grubbing ****. Don't come taunt us because you have 2 huge tv markets to fill your spot in a major conference while you know we are already ****ed.

16. QBUMizzou

QBUMizzou Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Huh?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
    Des Moines, IA
    #17 Farnsworth, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
    I like how you lie to not gain hate from the OP. Truth is, we travel VERY well, Mizzou has little supporters in their big cities (KC for example, they claim that market, but they are all ksu or ku fans). However they can push cable companies tv sets just because they are in the general area, even though most in the MO landscapes are pro team fans, for either KC or STL. But it doesn't matter, cause they force the market.

18. Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
    Des Moines, IA
    you can say it isn't right, and I'm not blaming mizzou for anything, but you guys will come out ok no matter what due to tv sets, and you should realize the fans of this board are getting ****ed over big time due to this single fact.

19. edr247

edr247 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Basically, he doesn't want you to pretend that you're a friend to ISU, as your school is likely going to be fine, while his is facing potential athletic oblivion. Could be wrong though. /interpretation and summary

As for who's fault this is? Well, I think this has been brewing for some time now. Whether it was the Big Ten foolishly sticking at 11 members after picking up PSU back in the early 90s, or the Big Ten declaring it might expand to as many as 16 members a few years ago... or the Big 12's completely lopsided merger and power structure that led to grumblings amongst members... or the Pac-12's desire to match the Big Ten and SEC in revenue...

Or perhaps it is just plain, old-fashioned American greed. We're talking about college sports becoming less about amateur athletics and more about the money. When conferences went from being about institution wide cooperation among universities in a geographic region, to being about how many TV sets were available. Is it Mizzou's fault? Perhaps. But probably they're as much as fault as every other school that let things get as bad as they are now. We all created a monster in the BCS, and now it's threatening to quite literally rip the concept of college football apart.

20. el tornado

el tornado Active Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Agree, Big10 started everyone wanting the greener grass on the other side of the fence.
    Someday schools will lament being in a superconference and yearn for the 8 to 10 team geographical setup with true rivals.