Irving Pic Holding Stop Sign At Riot

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Re: Irving

There are some really dumb ****s here if you believe what you say that he may not have been a part of the problem, he was just holding a sign. You don't have to throw a bottle at a cop to be a part of a riot. Based on the pic alone he should be kicked off the team, and if video proves anything else, expelled.

How would you feel if your son, daughter or wife was driving home and got hit because another driver never saw the missing stop sign? How can you even think of defending somebody that does something so stupid, clearly illegal, and just plain ****ed up? Athlete or not, he deserves what is likely coming.

i continue to lose faith in humanity when I see all these comments blaming police, defending rioters, defending spectators (wake up, they do contribute to the riot just by being present, psychology and laws state so), and saying that it's stupid to cancel VEISHEA. Some people have their priorities and moral compasses calibrated towards the wrong setting.

I agree with a lot of what you say except the part where just being present makes you a rioter. Thats a way too general and naive statement.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames

Heard a basketball member was a part in taking down one of the poles. Not gonna say who it was but hopefully nothing comes out of it.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Being at the scene doesn't make one guilty. You can actually be outside at night. I know a few who were on Welch when the mob showed up. So if there is a pic of them, they should be arrested?

The guilty ones are the one who actually did damage. I can't imagine a photo of Irving holding a sign is any type of evidence of wrong-doing. It puts him at the scene. If witnesses come forward and say they saw him pull it down, etc then that is a different story. But he may have legitimately picked it up and said something like, "holy ****, they tore out a sign."

Let's focus on those who actually did damage. There is plenty of video out there.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

I agree with a lot of what you say except the part where just being present makes you a rioter. Thats a way too general and naive statement.

Not necessarily a rioter, but studies about mob mentality prove that as the crowd of spectators grows, the intensity and mob mentality of the rioters turns increasingly violent and/or vocal. If 5 people watch, it isn't a riot, if 500 people watch, a few are going to join in and the rest contribute to the environment whether they intend to or not.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA

There are some really dumb ****s here if you believe what you say that he may not have been a part of the problem, he was just holding a sign. You don't have to throw a bottle at a cop to be a part of a riot. Based on the pic alone he should be kicked off the team, and if video proves anything else, expelled.

How would you feel if your son, daughter or wife was driving home and got hit because another driver never saw the missing stop sign? How can you even think of defending somebody that does something so stupid, clearly illegal, and just plain ****ed up? Athlete or not, he deserves what is likely coming.

i continue to lose faith in humanity when I see all these comments blaming police, defending rioters, defending spectators (wake up, they do contribute to the riot just by being present, psychology and laws state so), and saying that it's stupid to cancel VEISHEA. Some people have their priorities and moral compasses calibrated towards the wrong setting.

Why would they be out driving around in the middle of a riot?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Being at the scene doesn't make one guilty. You can actually be outside at night. I know a few who were on Welch when the mob showed up. So if there is a pic of them, they should be arrested?

The guilty ones are the one who actually did damage. I can't imagine a photo of Irving holding a sign is any type of evidence of wrong-doing. It puts him at the scene. If witnesses come forward and say they saw him pull it down, etc then that is a different story. But he may have legitimately picked it up and said something like, "holy ****, they tore out a sign."

Let's focus on those who actually did damage. There is plenty of video out there.

Respectfully, that is hogwash. You are no longer presumed innocent if you are standing there with a grin on your face holding a stop sign in the middle of the riot. If I'm seen holding a bloody knife over a dead body when somebody hears a scream, should I not be a suspect?

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
My gosh there's a lot of holier than thou judgmental ****ers on this board today! And probably not one who was actually near the situation to know exactly what happened. But sure, go ahead and judge based on relatively no information. You Halkeye fans should all get together sometime (at least that's who you sound like).

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

Why would they be out driving around in the middle of a riot?

I'm pretty sure there are still legit reasons to be driving at 11pm and last I checked my in-dash navigation unit doesn't give me an alert for oncoming riots in the roadway.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
My gosh there's a lot of holier than thou judgmental ****ers on this board today! And probably not one who was actually near the situation to know exactly what happened. But sure, go ahead and judge based on relatively no information. You Halkeye fans should all get together sometime (at least that's who you sound like).

Because there is no video or photo evidence of what occurred last night. If being having the ability to know right from wrong and make adult decisions based on what is perceived to be a riot in progress, consider me guilty of being judge mental.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA

I'm pretty sure there are still legit reasons to be driving at 11pm and last I checked my in-dash navigation unit doesn't give me an alert for oncoming riots in the roadway.

If you see a riot going on, why would you drive in the middle of it?

There are also legit reasons for being outside at night. I had some friends that were out and about, having nothing to do with the riot. So according to your logic, they are wrong for walking, but someone driving into a riot is okay?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
There are staff members and professors with DUIs yet a student holding up a stop sign should be expelled. Maybe you feel both should be banned from the ISU community, but it just does not work that way.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Agreed. How about we let the facts come out before we dig the guys grave and start calling for him to be kicked off the team.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Not necessarily a rioter, but studies about mob mentality prove that as the crowd of spectators grows, the intensity and mob mentality of the rioters turns increasingly violent and/or vocal. If 5 people watch, it isn't a riot, if 500 people watch, a few are going to join in and the rest contribute to the environment whether they intend to or not.

Agree. But there are many factors on why someone might be present. Take me for an example. In 2004 i worked at a campustown bar during the riot. We closed early and i walked out onto Welch wearing my employee shirt. A police officer began macing everyone in my vicinity and luckily none of it hit me. I was shocked at the indiscriment nature of it. So, I was at ground zero but i definitely wasnt a rioter. There were plenty of innocent bystanders that night in 2004. Who were caught up in the melee. It's Veishea. People are out. They arent all trouble makers.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Respectfully, that is hogwash. You are no longer presumed innocent if you are standing there with a grin on your face holding a stop sign in the middle of the riot. If I'm seen holding a bloody knife over a dead body when somebody hears a scream, should I not be a suspect?

A suspect? Absolutely. Guilty beyond a reasonable doubt? No.

Irving is guilty of bad judgement. At this point, that is all we can say.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

You know, no one has mentioned that, and it feels dirty to speculate. But he was there, and he was a part of the crowd. I would say he's definitely paying a higher price for it than anyone else involved.
I have said this.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I'm not saying you are guilty by being present, so long as you are making an effort to leave or remove yourself from the situation that descended on your proximity. If you stay where you are and don't try to remove yourself from the immediate riot area, Iowa Law says that you have committed a crime.