Iowa State Wrestling Tournament

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
The Register's latest 3A article has a lot on Coleman and Teske.

I've copied the Coleman parts below. The first part is on Teske. Teske is not only about the same weight, and same year as Alex Thomsen and has the same number of titles, but similarly expresses larger ambitions, as in international competition.

Kudoes to Marcus Coleman and all the Iowa State recruits:

Coleman (41-0) closed out his final prep match with a technical fall, as well. His 22-7 stoppage of Southeast Polk’s Gavin Babcock at 170 gave the Iowa State recruit three consecutive titles in impressive fashion.

“It was the same mentality I’ve had all week,” Coleman said, “and I’ve been preaching it: dominate. I wanted to go in there, show everybody what I’m about. I knew I was capable of getting bonus points on everyone here so I made it my goal. It feels great.”

Saturday night featured a slew of two-time champions in 3A, but all were chasing Coleman and Teske in impact.

“I’m going to miss all this,” Coleman said. “I’ll miss ‘The Well’ so much, because it’s an awesome experience. Nothing beats this.” ..

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...s-se-polk-struggles-after-clinching/98092570/

Last edited:

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
So another dominating performance by Alex Thomsen, who is still on track for an undefeated HS career:

Alex Thomsen
Underwood, JR

Round 1
Def. Ben Moyer (Alburnett, SR)

TF-1.5 3:25 (20-5)

Quarterfinals
Def. Logan Lutgen (Don Bosco, JR)

TF-1.5 2:38 (19-4)

Semifinals
Def. Zach Osborne (Mediapolis, SO)

TF-1.5 5:26 (26-10)

Final
Def. Donny Schmit (Wapsie Valley, JR)

(TF-1.5 5:29 (24-9)

And Schmit was a defending state champ as well so all 3 of Thomsen's titles came against previous champions. I can't think of another instance like that. Very impressive.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
From the Des Moines Register, I see that undefeated Alex Thomsen of Underwood is in the finals again:

Alex Thomsen
Underw, JR

Round 1
Def. Ben Moyer (Alburnett, SR)

TF-1.5 3:25 (20-5)

Quarterfinals
Def. Logan Lutgen (Don Bosco, JR)

TF-1.5 2:38 (19-4)

Semifinals
Def. Zach Osborne (Mediapolis, SO)

TF-1.5 5:26 (26-10)

Final
vs. Donny Schmit (Wapsie Valley, JR)

Those are some high scores, especially considering the short duration of two of the matches.

In their 1A article, the Register talks about his finals opponent, Donny Schmit:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...appel-handling-state-drama-126-more/98039358/

FYI, I watched Donny Schmitt and Henderson go into overtime at a north Butler tourney about a month ago. Don't know the wapsie crowd, but they came across as dbags in that one. I'm not north Linn either. Son's team was also at the tourney, and we didn't have one wrestling at the time and the crap Strom unfolded right in front of me. North Linn coaches weren't really amazing either.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Interviews after the matches were awful, and the guy asked Leisure a question about Dresser, which is dumb because it hasn't been confirmed yet, but Leisure gave a great answer. Basically said that he was ready to get to Ames and get to work, no matter who the coach is. Perfect way to answer a bad question.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Interviews after the matches were awful, and the guy asked Leisure a question about Dresser, which is dumb because it hasn't been confirmed yet, but Leisure gave a great answer. Basically said that he was ready to get to Ames and get to work, no matter who the coach is. Perfect way to answer a bad question.
McCool was beyond awful. Has that been happening for long?

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Was McCool running the interviews broadcast throughout the arena that Tony Hager referred to on Twitter (asking if people watching on TV could see them)? Just before one of the earlier medals presentations, the stream came back from commercial a little early and I could hear the tail end of one interview but that was it.

IAWrestle got some great candid interviews in the tunnels from a mix of winners, losers, and coaches throughout the finals and a ton of interviews with other placewinners and competitors throughout the week.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Was McCool running the interviews broadcast throughout the arena that Tony Hager referred to on Twitter (asking if people watching on TV could see them)? Just before one of the earlier medals presentations, the stream came back from commercial a little early and I could hear the tail end of one interview but that was it.

IAWrestle got some great candid interviews in the tunnels from a mix of winners, losers, and coaches throughout the finals and a ton of interviews with other placewinners and competitors throughout the week.
Agreed IAWrestle did an amazing job with interviews, web postings, etc. Bet Tony was on one wicked high yesterday with all the Dresser leaks and state wrestling. Anyone check on him? His heart might have exploded

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

A guy that looked like Michael Moore was doing live interviews after matches. Was painful all the way around.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
That match was the epitome of a ref interjecting himself into a match.

This. That was a total BS stalling call that came immediately after Wriedt took his shot. What's Lombardi supposed to do when he's up by 1 with seconds to go and the other guy takes a shot? Let Wriedt get the takedown?

Also, the reactions of both wrestlers said a lot. Wriedt was a total tool about winning (especially given that he shouldn't have even made it to OT), and Lombardi shook the referees' hands and didn't complain one bit. That alone tells me that Lombardi was the one who deserved to win the title.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
This. That was a total BS stalling call that came immediately after Wriedt took his shot. What's Lombardi supposed to do when he's up by 1 with seconds to go and the other guy takes a shot? Let Wriedt get the takedown?

Also, the reactions of both wrestlers said a lot. Wriedt was a total tool about winning (especially given that he shouldn't have even made it to OT), and Lombardi shook the referees' hands and didn't complain one bit. That alone tells me that Lombardi was the one who deserved to win the title.

After watching Wriedt the past two seasons, it's pretty obvious that he's just a tool in general. Stories I've heard have done nothing but verify that for me.

Furthermore, he's beaten Lombardi and Ethan Anderson in the past two finals, who both have been class acts in defeat, even after getting shoved after the whistle into the scorer's table. Kid does stuff like that in every match I've seen him wrestle.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012

Agree. To me it looked like Wriedt was trying way too hard to prove a point. His "break you" gesture, plus screaming in Rocky's face, was very douchey.

Rocky did a very good job of keeping his cool. Almost like "congrats you won a controversial match, but I have many bigger athletic goals in my future."

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
A guy that looked like Michael Moore was doing live interviews after matches. Was painful all the way around.

That was awful. Really, really bad.

One other thing they gotta change is the video board. Why show live video? We are there in person for a reason. The live video was so big you couldn't see the scores. Just show the names, school, color, score. That or make the board bigger...

nwiafan

Dec 22, 2008
Hawarden
They've had Scott Casper do the interviews in the past. I don't mind the interviews as before it was people doing the chicken dance and dead air in the arena.