Iowa State needs 3s?

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by peteypie, Jan 24, 2014.

1. sigh

sigh Member

Apr 11, 2006
    IT
    Denver
    3's & Rebounding, I agree. I'm hopeful the overall shooting slump will be over by end of day tomorrow!

2. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Rebounding wasn't the problem against Texas - turnovers were. Regardless of whether it's rebounding or turnovers, they need to stop giving their opponents extra opportunities with the ball, because they're taking advantage of it.

3. State43

State43 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Graphic Designer
    Omaha, NE
    What is strange about saying the team that shoots the most 3 pointers per game needs to make some? You realize our offense depends on the 3 point shot more than virtually any other in the nation right?

4. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Network and Server Admini

This. Even with our struggling 3, we are losing by turnovers and missed freethrows. We weather droughts and and shooting sprees by opponents tolerably. Its those damn extra opportunities that kill us.

5. CyBobby

CyBobby Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Central Iowa
    More 3's ...More Rebounds and LESS Turnovers and we might just might beat the MildKats come Sat Afternoon.

GGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Cyclones..........

6. Stewo

Stewo Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Male
    Commodity buyer
    Iowa
    The first sentence of the story is already fail.

7. peteypie

peteypie Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Sorry to **** in your cherrios. The question mark at the end was more of a: Please Discuss type question mark. Just trying to get some discussion since it's been a week since we played.

8. State43

State43 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Graphic Designer
    Omaha, NE
    I LOVE **** IN MY CHERRIOS MY FRIEND!!!!

9. peteypie

peteypie Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2007
    #10 peteypie, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    Also, I agree the poor 3 point shooting was key in 2 or our losses along with rebounding. The other loss was turnovers.

We are far less dependent on 3's this year than last year, however 28% is no going to cut it. If we can even shoot 33% from 3, rebound, and limit turnovers, we will win a lot of games with our improved inside offense.

10. westlbcyclone

westlbcyclone Member

Jun 28, 2010
    West Liberty
    Two of our three losses share the 3s not falling as a part of the reason we lost. Against OU and KU we shot an avg of 27% from deep (23 @OU, 31 vs KU) both of those games though we also got smoked on the boards, but didn't turned it over very little (21 over the two games). Against Texas the shooting was better (34% from 3) and actually won he rebound battle (40-37) but had 18, I'll say that again 18, turnovers in that one game.

Shooting a better percentage would be great, but we still made 11 threes against Texas, turnovers were the story of that game from an ISU perspective.

11. Dingus

Dingus Active Member

May 23, 2013
    WA
    Rebounding certainly WAS one of the problems in that game (after turnovers, of course). ISU outrebounded Texas by like 10 or something in the 1st half and ended tied. Got outrebounded by 7 or so in the 2nd half and got beat by ~10 in that half. The end of game numbers don't tell the full story.

Pt regarding extra possessions spot on though.

12. isuno1fan

isuno1fan Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clive, Iowa
    Agreed, rebounding was an issue against Texas. When the game was on the line (the 2nd half) they murdered us on the boards.

13. CYUL8R

CYUL8R Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Ames, IA
    I went back and watched that game and it looked to me like we had at LEAST 5 travelling calls. Those are just guys getting too amped up and pushing too hard and making silly mistakes. We need to play loose (like the first 14 games of the year) and things will become a lot more fluid.

I just cringed when I saw that total number...18. Wow. That is not ISU BB.

14. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

I'd like to see about 20-22 threes max. We are so efficient at the twos, and several of the threes are not the best shots at the time. Clean that up a bit and I think we'd be more dangerous (and by putting pressure on the defense inside, more of the threes would be less contested).

15. CyberJJJ

CyberJJJ Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Male
    Sales & Marketing
    Johnston, IA
    My view on our 3 point shooting is different this year than last. Last year they absolutely had to fall or we didn't win. This year, we need enough of them to fall that the other team actually has to respect them from everybody and thus pull the oposing center out of the lane to allow our cutters to attack the basket, to which we are better at this year than last. However, as versus Kansas, if Niang is 0-9 or whatever he was, it allowed Embid (sp?) to still be a force on week side help in the paint. Thus we need to hit enough threes the oponent has to respect it and play us in space to allow us to score other ways.

16. allfourcy

allfourcy Active Member

Apr 26, 2012
    I could swear in most of those games when the opponent would get the 2nd chance points from offensive rebounds, they would always be 3's, versus immediate put-back 2's. I suppose that's because we have to have some guards help out so much on rebounding and guys are left uncovered. Also, its probably just my imagination because of the losses.

17. CloneZone13

CloneZone13 Member

Feb 7, 2013
    I agree with the article, except the first line. ISU has more weapons inside this year, but without the 3 ball threat, it makes it difficult to execute in Fred's system. It's all about spacing with Fred, and the 3 ball is needed to keep defenders honest.

18. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    I'm hopeful the shooting slump is clearly over by about 1:10 tomorrow afternoon.

Don't think just shoot it, Matty. We know it is going in.

19. Cardinal2001

Cardinal2001 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Programmer
    Ames
    I think we need to take a few more threes than that. We are primarily trying to bring the opponents big men out on the perimeter. This frees up both the rebounding and the inside shots.