Iowa State @ Kent State: Hit you coming off the bus or lay over and die?

Discussion in 'Football' started by LutherClone, Sep 13, 2009.

1. LutherClone

LutherClone Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Physician
    Phoenix, AZ
    so we're all disappointed. Nobody wanted Iowa to waltz in and leave Ames with the Cy- Hawk. Yes, we had turnover-rama on the field but I honestly think that this week's game is much more important this season. Here's why: While every game is important and I would LOVE to win the big game, I think it's much more important for a team to be able to adjust and pick itself. Teams will lose, ask Oklahoma State, Va Tech, etc, but it's most important that they can regroup for next week instead of lumbering through the land of the lost for a few weeks. I think there is added weight in this game: Get a HUGE monkey off the team's back and break the road losing streak, build momentum heading towards Big XII play, and a chance to get back to playing a clean/ penalty free game.
    Like I said, I love beating Iowa, and it sucks that we lost and don't have bragging rights (until basketball season anyways). However, I just see the Kent State game as a bigger fish to fry this year. Just my 2 cents. Your thoughts?

2. snowcraig2.0

snowcraig2.0 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Engineer
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    If we lose to Kent State, the wheels are going to come off. We might only see 30k average home attendance the next few games.

If we win this game, we could right the ship pretty quickly.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Clones21

Clones21 Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Des Moines
    We NEED to win this game. For our momentum and because its Kent State...We should take down Army easy in 2 weeks..3-1 going into K state would be great

4. ISUKyro

ISUKyro Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Teacher
    Houston, TX
    Agree with snowcraig (and that doesn't happen often ;)
    but this could be a turning point of what could be a so so season with new staff or the end of the season.

5. sdmredsox

sdmredsox Member

Dec 15, 2008
    South Des Moines
    I think at the beginning of the season everyone did the "we should beat this team, lose this game, finish ?-?" like we all do every year. I'm sure most people put this down as a win in our favor. Most of us thought we could beat Iowa, but I'm guessing a majority of us didn't lock up that game as a victory. So honestly, we're where we are supposed to be in a lot of peoples minds so I don't think we should be freaking out over the loss.

I think ISU bounces back, and knocks the snot out of Kent St. It promises to be a true test of our mental toughness as we move forward from Saturdays disapointing outcome.

PS, we'll be the ones on the bus, we'll need a road slogan for our play.

6. yler4cy

yler4cy Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Engineer
    Ankeny, IA
    I agree. Although it would be nice to beat Iowa, we need this win to turn things around. Like CPR says, we need to play "sound" football.

7. ISUFan22

ISUFan22 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Healthcare IT Project Manager
    Denver, CO
    Would be our first road win since '05 and I think it's definitely a must win.

8. clonedog

clonedog Member

Dec 12, 2008
    The Hawkeye blowout, or Cyclone implosion if you prefer, has likely put a target on our backs. Opposing teams and fans are probably moving the Clones into the "w" column if we weren't already in that column. We better be a humble team playing a "must win" game at Kent State.

9. Melvin

Melvin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Crete, NE
    This is like the UNLV game last year. ISU could have won in Vegas if not for a poor 1st half. ISU better play 4 good quarters of Football. We need a win very badly.

10. acgclone

acgclone Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2007
    We really need to get the win this weekend. The only hope we have at a decent season hinges upon us getting the W against Kent State.

Obviously our possible wins at this point are Kent St, Army, K State, Baylor and Colorado. We should expect to win versus Army and CU but it's doutful that we'll do better than splitting Baylor/K-State.

If we get this one, we can get to 5 wins, which I think would be a solid start for CPR.

11. cutshot

cutshot Member

Oct 28, 2008
    We should expect to win versus Army and CU but it's doutful that we'll do better than splitting Baylor/K-State.

I'm not sure how we "expect to win vs. anyone". We're not good enough right now to just show up. Someone pointed out that we're the ones that the opposition has gone to the board and circled as a winable game. We have to show up with all phases running at full speed.

12. d4nim4l

d4nim4l Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Analyst
    West Des Moines, IA
    I am feeling a slaughter off the bus. Not just a hit.

This team beat itself and beat itself handily. The mistakes are correctably and we have already shown we can lean on our run game for awhile if Arnaud is missing on his throws.

Kent St is not good this year but they will be fired up for this game. Judging by the emotional coach Rhoads is I have a feeling we will come out just as angry and ****** off as we should be.

13. CyinCo

CyinCo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Engineer
    Clive, IA
    If we can't pull out of our funk for the Kent State game, the season is over, IMO. Mentally, this team and the fans won't have their heart in it. This next game is huge in that regard.

14. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Being angry doesn't do much when you throw 4 interceptions.

15. CarolinaCy

CarolinaCy Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2008
    Kent State had a whopping 179 yards of total offense against BC. They averaged 2.1 yards per rush, and 5.67 yards per completion in the passing game. If we can't find a way to beat the Golden Flashes, even on the road, we will probably be lucky to win 1 more game on the season (Army).

• Like Like x 1
  16. Broodwich

Broodwich Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2006
    Web Developer
    42.186391, -93.598597
    The outcome of this game is going to be prophetic about the rest of our season.

17. Flag Guy

Flag Guy Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Material Engineer
    Maryland

In accordance with prophecy :yes:

18. bearfan08

bearfan08 New Member

Dec 19, 2008
    you can expect a split between BU and KSU just because you will beat KSU just watch this week when BU destroys Uconn and in a couple of weeks when we play kent st to know just how futile your game against BU will be. KSU and CU are horrible and your O will handle them unless you implode worse than you did against Iowa.

19. CycoCyclone

CycoCyclone Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Male
    Business Analyst
    Urbandale
    I think this Kent State game will tell me a lot about this year's team.

20. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Do they teach English classes at Baylor? :confused: