Iowa State - Iowa: Iowa City Game Watch

Discussion in 'Football' started by norseclone, Sep 1, 2008.

1. norseclone

norseclone Active Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Medical student
    Iowa City, IA
    I know, I'm a bit early, but I'm going to the Kent State game, so I don't have to worry about that one. I've been trying to get tickets to the game through various channels, but I very much doubt I'm going to be successful. I've only been in Iowa City since the end of February, so I haven't had to try and find a place to watch an Iowa State game of any kind as of yet. So, anyway, I know I'm not the only Cyclone stuck in Iowa City. Where can I find a decent atmosphere (read: somewhere where I won't have to deal with drunken, obnoxious morons) to watch the game (assuming such a place exists)?

2. Swanson10

Swanson10 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Your in IC that is everywhere!

3. mplscyclone

mplscyclone Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Ames, IA

From my personal experience, I'd avoid the bars. Just straight up annoying. I'd meet up with some Cyclone fans in a tailgating lot with a dish to watch the game.

Otherwise, I'd just invite some people over to my place (if you know people) and watch it on TV....

It takes a lot of energy to put up with the Hawks fans, even if you aren't looking to start anything. If you aren't going to be with a group of people you know, it's probably better if you don't go out until after the game (if ISU wins)

4. whirlybirds

whirlybirds Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Knoxville, IA
    yep. theres no better place to watch the game than your place in iowa city

5. norseclone

norseclone Active Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Medical student
    Iowa City, IA
    While I thank you for the advice, it's not particularly helpful to me. I don't know any Cyclone fans in Iowa City and I don't have cable. I just can't justify spending the money. So, basically, the bars are my option.

6. isu_oak

isu_oak Well-Known Member
    Bookie

Sep 4, 2006
    Sorry I'm busy for the iowa game, but let me know if you want to go somewhere to watch a different game. I need an excuse to get away from the wife every now and again.

7. oskyclone

oskyclone Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Bartender
    Altoona
    I watched the Iowa- Texas game at Old Chicago...It's got a bar but not really a bar atmosphere so you could probably survive there. Plus they have good food.

8. norseclone

norseclone Active Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Medical student
    Iowa City, IA
    Old Chicago was flooded pretty badly and from what I've heard, does not plan on reopening.

9. Swanson10

Swanson10 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2008
    you could try the new BWW in Coralville if you want.

10. oskyclone

oskyclone Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Bartender
    Altoona

There goes my good advice

11. JHudd

JHudd Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Male
    Plano, TX
    I took this from the other ISU/Iowa thread for you.

12. isu_oak

Bookie

Sep 4, 2006
    There is also a brand new bar out by the Oakdale campus that I know has DirecTV. The place just opened up a week ago and doesn't even have a sign out yet, so I don't know the name. I doubt many people are even going to know about it by the 13th. If you want more details, send me a message.

13. A-town Cy

A-town Cy Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Huxley
    I'm going to be in Iowa City that weekend for the game, but don't have tickets. But will be there to tailgate and will need a place to watch the game, either a bar/restaurant/or someone's tailgate on here that will have dish set up? :notworthy:

Any ideas?

14. ornryactor

ornryactor Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Ames
    As I mentioned in another thread (thanks, JHudd!), go to The Deadwood. It's on Dubuque Street downtown, it's owned by a couple of Cyclones, and it'll be open. It's far enough away that stadium traffic won't be a problem, but close enough to the action that you can still stay parked and run around and extoll the glories of the Cyclones when we win.

15. isu_oak

Bookie

Sep 4, 2006
    And now you don't have to worry about the notorious Deadwood smoke. Not to get off topic, but I wonder if that has helped or hindered Deadwood's business?

16. cstrunk

cstrunk Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Field Engineer
    Tyler, TX
    Thanks for all of the advice, I'm planning on being in IC for the game, but don't have tickets either. We will try to make it to The Deadwood for a game watch!

17. norseclone

norseclone Active Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Medical student
    Iowa City, IA
    Thanks everyone. Deadwood is looking like the choice.

18. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Let's see. You live in Iowa City now? That's a tough one. Try Welch Avenue Station. :wink:

19. norseclone

norseclone Active Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Medical student
    Iowa City, IA
    Thought I'd resurrect this now that we're near kickoff. Any other ideas? Or will there be anybody tailgating that wouldn't mind hosting a couple of Cyclones? Thanks.

20. norseclone

norseclone Active Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Medical student
    Iowa City, IA
    There was a thread asking for Cyclone game watch(es) on the Hawkeye Report Off Topic board. I mentioned that I would likely be at Deadwood. I got this response:

"Deadwood is a 'theater arts' bar. Very similar to the mill. i imagine the game will be on one of the TV's, but its not really game watching atmosphere. You'll probably feel very out of place there in youre Cyclone gear.

...just saying."

So to the person(s) who recommended it. Anything to say about this warning?