Internet Searching--Beyond Google

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by isucyfan, Mar 2, 2009.

1. isucyfan

isucyfan Speechless

Apr 21, 2006
    Dad/Student
    Saint Paul, MN
    Just curious: Do any of you use search engines or metasearch engines other than Google? There are some really good ones out there.

For example, check out Grokker or Clusty.

I've got more if anyone's interested, but it's interesting to try something different!

2. Clonehomer

Clonehomer Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Yah, but Grokker or Clusty just doesn't roll off your tongue like google. "I need to find out why Herky is a bird and not an indian scout, I think I'll Grokker it". See just doesn't work so swell. Or "I wonder how many Iowa football players were arrested this weekend, I'll go Clusty that too". See it's all about how the name sounds as a verb or a noun. That's just marketing.

3. isucyfan

isucyfan Speechless

Apr 21, 2006
    Dad/Student
    Saint Paul, MN
    I'd say that Google only rolls off the tongue like it does because it's ingrained in our searching and internet vocabulary. Kind of like Xerox, Scotch Tape, or Kleenex (brand names) now are.

4. LindenCy

LindenCy Keep and Pride - It works
    Staff Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Writer
    Chicago, IL
    I try to remember not to use google as much because I don't think they have the same ideological beliefs as me, but they are just too easy to use. :)

5. isucyfan

isucyfan Speechless

Apr 21, 2006
    Dad/Student
    Saint Paul, MN
    Google's great, but most people don't know that only one third of the internet is searchable by engines like Google. The rest, called the Deep Web, is generally inaccessible.

All search engines have different algorithms, and it's interesting to compare results. I like the two I posted earlier because they "cluster" info, and let you search within clusters.

6. cycloneG

cycloneG Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Male
    Software Developer
    Off the grid
    I've come across a few websites that I've wanted to relegate to the "Deep Web". Also, a few threads and posters on this site could some Deep Web imprisonment.

7. rdubbs

rdubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Central Iowa
    I use to be a lycos and yahoo guy...........google owns me now.

8. clones_jer

clones_jer Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2006
    IA
    Interesting fact that means nothing to anybody not in the Googe Marketing branch:

When you Google "search engines" -> google.com is the 8th one down the list!