Internet Providers central Iowa Area

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CycloneRulzzz, Dec 29, 2010.

1. CycloneRulzzz

CycloneRulzzz Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Male
    Nevada, IA
    I was wondering who those of you who are in central Iowa have for internet provider? I'm using my labtop from a free wireless place because mediacom internet is out at our house. We had a problem a week ago someone came out didn't do anything. Had another scheduled visit today and after he leaves we totally lose internet and our home phone also through mediacom. The next scheduled day we could get in is Jan 4. So without internet or phone for about a week, what a joke. Does anyone have something other than mediacom and if so who do you have and is it reliable?

2. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    Qwest is very reliable for me. Had DSL for 10 years now and it has never been down. It is slower than cable though.

3. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Advertising sales
    Ankeny
    Mediacom. Even when its slower at night, still faster than Qwest DSL.... and some places that isnt even an option (my townhome development is tied into Hickory Tech.... 1mbps is all they could offer me)

4. serverguy

serverguy Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Call Mediacom back and ask to get it escalated and keep making your way up the chain. Also post over in Mediacom forum | DSLReports.com, ISP Information. There is a Mediacom employee (MediacomChad) over there that is pretty good at helping people get issues resolved. Good luck!

5. whirlybirds

whirlybirds Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Knoxville, IA
    Mediacom hands down. Their customer service is the best. :jimlad:

6. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    Yeah but the 3mbps I get with Qwest is better than the 0mbps he is getting with mediacom right now. I choose stability over speed. If my wife could not get on facebook it would be a bad evening for brianhos.

7. CYdTracked

CYdTracked Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    IT
    Grimes, IA
    I used Qwest and it has been a ton more reliable than when I had Mediacom and also much less in price too. Depending on your neighborhood though will dictate what your options are. I know there are spots even in the Des Moines metro area Qwest doesn't have DSL service too and you have to go through someone like Hickory Tech or Iowa Telecom

8. mg4cy

mg4cy Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Iowa
    I have had Qwest 1.5 for the last 2 years, its been reliable, but the rates keep going up as the 2 yr contract matures. They force you to bundle the land line for $30 w/ extra features you don't want. I was angry after getting the first bill because the sales lady lied about the monthly payment/fees, after asking over and over what the total and monthly fees were to be certain. I had to call back a month later and ask to cancel to get the fees back down, but the monthly payment was higher than she quoted. First year $54/mo, 2nd year $69/mo, 3rd year and on ???$$$ month. I may have to switch providers or "cancel" to renegotiate rates next month.

Any one have luck using Verizon hot spots ?

9. 907CY

907CY Active Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Male
    retired
    Northern Polk County
    Under no terms would I ever go back to IowaTelecom. When they finally got DSL it went up and down with the sunshine and then they upped their fees. I have had Mediacom DSL for about 6 years and I have had to call and scream for service several times. Call and don't stop screaming until they have an emergency tech out there. Also, ask for a rebate on down time. No facebook here, but if I couldn't access my fantasy teams it would be an ugly day.

10. HandSanitizer

HandSanitizer Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    NA
    Central US
    #10 HandSanitizer, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
    This is perfect!
    I have a ton of experience in both.

As of Today.....I switched back to mediacom Internet.

I was price for life at 1.5Mb Qwest for $39.99 (which is stupid) They have no plans of increasing 1.5Mb in my area. My house is 6 years old and I live IN town by they way.

Mediacom..I switched away from them because I didn't like their TV package, but loved their Internet.

So I am going back to them at 12Mb for 1 year at 19.95. The 2nd at 34.95. Then year 3 I will evaulate paying $62 for 12Mb or $44 for 3Mb or get what ever deal is out then. My wife gets $50 from her work for internet so I don't really care. I just know since I have had 2 laptops, 2 pcs, 1 psp, wii, 2 Ipod touches, dishnetwork VOD....My internet has sucked with qwest 1.5Mb inet.

This is from a guy who has installed over 25 Qwest DSL lines and 50 Iowa Telecom DSL lines in remote areas for people to VPN to work...

Plus as of tomorrow I will have ESPN3.com. HeyO........
    Why Qwest doesn't have that is beyond me.

my 3cents

11. Rickybaby

Rickybaby Active Member

Apr 15, 2006
    I just switched from mediacom to Qwest. Yeah, Qwest is really slow.

[​IMG]

I'm not saying you will get that speed because Qwest service varies from area to area. But so does Mediacom which varies depending on time of day mostly. You might get really good speeds in the middle of the night but only 1/2 that in the evening when lots of people are using it. DSL (Qwest) is not a shared line; a dedicated connection so it is very reliable. The worst thing about Mediacom as you've discovered is their customer service. I have discovered there is good/bad with each and a lot of it depends on where you live. In one area Qwest might be your best bet; in another it might be Mediacom. Good luck.

12. CycloneRulzzz

CycloneRulzzz Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Male
    Nevada, IA

Thanks for all the input. Well after trying everything we could think of we have internet and phone back for how long I don't know. I'm in Nevada so I think it's either mediacom or Iowa Telecom and as you posted Iowa Telecom is worse. I hear you on what I have bolded although I do facebook. I also need my constant CF fix so internet is a must.:smile:

13. HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
    NA
    Central US
    Hmmmmm. Qwest isn't so hot in my area. Which is wierd because I live in the DM area. Must be too far from the CO or something.

Considering I pay $40/mo for this.

From Speednet
    1.31 Mb Download
    .58 Mb Upload
    166 Ping

14. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

1.5 is the best I could get from Qwest in Indianola. Mediacom is averaging around 18 for me now.

15. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    I went from mediacom to qwest dsl 1.5 and now back to mediacom.

Both were very reliable for me.

Mediacom is a lot faster for downloads. It's upload speed sucks donkey.

I just go with whoever has the best deal. I would probably be willing to pay up to $15 more per month for Mediacom based on the speed.

I've used VOIP for the last year and it actually seems to work better with DSL but either works fine.

16. mclatch

mclatch Active Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Systems Analyst
    Roland IA
    Iowatelecom/Windstream has been good for me. We had 1.5M for 2 years and bumped up to 15M Xstream DSL when it became available. Home phone and 15M costs $65/month - no promotions - locked in for life. They've had great customer service too - just called the other day about the modem rental. Was wondering if I could use my own and save the $6.00/month. The tech support told me I could and gave me the models that they know have been successful used. They handed me over to customer service and I asked about sending the Iowatelecom modem back they said "keep it" and they'll take off the charge.

17. Rickybaby

Rickybaby Active Member

Apr 15, 2006
    I'm in WDM and also pay $40. Qwest is advertising some obscenely good deals on TV right now; like $19.99 for any speed. As far as I'm concerned they are lying because almost nobody will get that or want it even if they can. Mediacom does the same thing. Yeah, I looked into Mediacom because I actually had decent luck with them. They offer better rates ($/mo) to their existing customers than new ones which I found strange. I've never seen that before. If you are an existing Mediacom customer (cable or phone) and add internet they give you a good deal. If you aren't or don't "bundle" you don't get a good deal. Was one of the reasons I switched; it seems they are just playing games; which I guess shouldn't be a surprise given their customer service.

I just "cut the cord" and I think lots and lots of people are doing it which is why all these media companies push the bundles so much. They don't make any money selling "only" internet. People can get phone service via the internet (voip, skype, etc) for really cheap or free and can get most of their TV services through the internet too. And yeah its either very cheap or free. I'm still checking things out but some of the networks "broadcast" their shows over the internet and you can get things like Netflix, Vudu, Hulu, etc. So that is one of the reasons I wanted the faster speeds via Qwest; I don't have a home phone (cell, internet) and don't have any TV service either (no cable, no Sat, get TV over the internet).

Anyway, that is the wave of the future; get all of your services through the internet. Was kinda funny because the DM RAG just had an article yesterday on doing what I just did. And yeah, you can read the RAG for free on the internet. While is wasn't a very good article here is a link: Be Better At Everything: How to ditch your cable bill :: dmJuice.com

18. HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
    NA
    Central US
    So I called Mediacom yesterday and they have already been here and installed it all.

Speedtest.net results again to the same location:
    11.5 Mb Down
    .82 Mb Up
    79 Ms Ping

Can tell a big difference :)

19. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    What do you guys pay for mediacom without any other services? There is no way I am leaving directv.

20. akellar

akellar Active Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Stuart, IA
    If you order by tomorrow its $20/month for the first year and I think $35 for the 2nd year. 2 year contract. I can't decide if I want to leave Qwest's reliablity but slower speeds for Mediacom's cheaper price and likely down times and frustration.