Inflatable electric cars

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by alaskaguy, Jun 5, 2008.

1. alaskaguy

alaskaguy Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    These electric cars can travel for up to 2,500 miles on a single electric charge (the distance across the US is roughly 3,000 miles). If you buy the car online, it gets shipped to you in two cardboard boxes, and the estimated assembly time is less than two hours.

Different models of the car will be made of various polymers, carbon fiber, and/or other strong, ultra-light-weight materials - the same stuff that protected the Mars rovers´ sensitive electronics as they fell and bounced along the planet´s surface. XP Vehicles claims that the car will be one of the safest on the road for drivers, passengers, and pedestrians.

If you´re concerned that an inflatable car may be too tempting for a tire-slashing juvenile delinquent, XP Vehicles says that their car bodies are actually pretty difficult to pierce. The cars have multiple chambers, so a single slice wouldn´t pop it like a balloon - "somebody would really have to go at it" to cause major damage, the company says. And, in the case of vandalism, you can repair it yourself.

Links:
    XP Vehicles, Inc: The worlds safest, most economic, longest range, most durable vehicles.
    Inflatable electric car can drive off cliffs

2. LindenCy

LindenCy Keep and Pride - It works
    Staff Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Writer
    Chicago, IL
    It says there are no direct sales to the public yet...I wonder how much this costs.

3. alaskaguy

alaskaguy Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    The company's website states, "that they will offer consumer priced vehicles based on volume runs" Now that makes the pricing about as clear as mud.

The website also discloses that they are working on the "backpack car."

"This Ultra-Ultra light vehicle packs into a user backpack for use in emergency situations. This is a sub $1K vehicle. This is not for sale but custom NRE contracts can be specified for similar efforts."

Link:
    XP Vehicles, Inc: The worlds safest, most economic, longest range, most durable vehicles.

4. balken

balken Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Does it have a decent cupholder?

5. mustangcy

mustangcy Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Bloomfield
    The article said 10K....if this is true I will buy one for sure.

6. LindenCy

LindenCy Keep and Pride - It works
    Staff Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Writer
    Chicago, IL
    I missed that, thanks.

7. majorcyfan

majorcyfan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Male
    Retired Sales Mgr
    #7 majorcyfan, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
    ZENN Motor Company here's a link to a car I went and looked at in Ames.....Address is car lot across from McDonads on S. Duff in Ames. Something like Amescars, Inc. 30 mile range at 25 mph TV 8 had a segment on these you can bring up and look at around 16,000 for the 4 dr van wagon I looked at, can get AC too. In near future will have highway speeds electric auto for around $25,00 think is what they said Currently costs a penny per mile to operate for the car, truck and van they are selling there. Too slow right now for travel on the highways but looks great for around town as a business delivery and city of Ames use them now

8. Phaedrus

Phaedrus Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Military Contracting
    Khorasan
    I guarantee you that the DOT kills it.

I never understood the supposed "safety craze" that is used as an excuse to allow the DOT to attempt to eliminate competition against the Big Three automakers.

Here, in Germany, if you can put a horn and lights on it, you can license it to go on the road.