In Lexington

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by stateofmind, Nov 19, 2013.

1. stateofmind

stateofmind Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Male
    IT
    Ankeny
    I'm staying in the Hyatt that is joined to Rupp Arena. Have any of you gone to a game there? Should I spend the money going tonight against Texas Arlington? Is nose bleed worth the experience or do you need to get low to feel like a part of this snoozer?

2. tzjung

tzjung Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Male
    Health Care Technology
    Ankeny, IA
    You should go! That way when you get back to the office you can tell me how it was!

3. Gunnerclone

Gunnerclone Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Cheddar Production
    DSM
    Bring me back a Tyler Ulis jersey if you go...he made a great decision and I want to show my support for that.

4. ZJohnson

ZJohnson Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Snottsdale, AZ
    Driven by it but never been in. I think any time you have an opportunity to see a game at a historic arena, you jump on it. I saw a crap game at Assembly Hall(Indy not Illinois) a couple of years ago and it was worth it just for the experience. That place is a **** hole, but something I won't forget. Too bad there wasn't a game going on at Hinkle at that time as well, but I did get to tour it.

5. Buster28

Buster28 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2011
    University Archives
    Ames
    I have never been, but if I was there instead of you, I would get a ticket and go just for the fun of it. Ask yourself, "why not?" If you can't come up with a legit answer, then go and have fun!

6. GoSTATE71

GoSTATE71 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2008
    Anytime I have an opportunity to watch a college sporting event in person, I always go! Let me justify it for you: Rupp arena is one of the best venues in college basketball (flame me for saying that I dont care, but its historic) plus you'll get to see arguably the greatest recruiting class of all time play together. That alone would be enough for me to go. Top 10 team in action, probably 5-6 guys on the court going to the NBA, historic venue, what else are you doing on a Tuesday night in Lexington?

7. tjh1984

tjh1984 Member

Feb 11, 2009
    New Orleans/Chicago
    I went to a game there once, saw Kentucky play Indiana. I sat first row on the second level and the seats were great. That balcony goes up a ways I don't know how good the view would be if you are row 20 in the second level

8. stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
    Male
    IT
    Ankeny
    Oh, it's happening, I just wondered if cheap tix were worth it.

9. IP Guy

IP Guy Member

Jun 16, 2007
    The upper deck tickets are fine. The atmosphere will still be good, and you shouldn't have any view disruptors.

10. greatshu

greatshu Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2007
    KS
    I agree with you. There are few basketball arenas that you should go if you have a chance. Rupp is definitely one of them.To name few: Rupp, Allen Fieldhouse, Cameron Indoor, @ Indiana, @ Gonzaga, and @ Butler.

11. CoKane

CoKane Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Cedar Rapids
    I'd say go for it, and then compare it to what Hilton is like when we play some crap team.

12. Dingus

Dingus Active Member

May 23, 2013
    WA
    Seriously though, Ulis made such a bad decision for himself it's not even funny. He'll only play next year if the PG Harrison doesn't go pro, and he'll get recruited over for his Soph year. He'll transfer after he gets recruited over again during his Soph year and be playing here in 17-18.

13. 1Nation

1Nation Member

May 16, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    If you sit in the upper deck you're sitting on a bench. I can't imagine low level tickets being expensive for this game. I've attended several at Rupp and if you have the opportunity to sit close to the action why wouldn't you?

14. NATEizKING

NATEizKING Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Hilton
    I'm not seeing how this scenario is a bad decision.

15. cyrocksmypants

cyrocksmypants Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Being Totally Awesome
    Honolulu, HI
    Go for it. And bring me back a jar of hair grease from that scumbag coach of theirs.

16. stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
    Male
    IT
    Ankeny
    So I'm looking out my room and it overlooks the bar/restaurant in the Hyatt. It's packed, two hours out. There are mobile bars in the lobby. The hotel is connected by this "mall", and it is crazy busy. I'm getting really pumped. Some little hottie was going to sell me her brother's ticket, but she wanted face, which was $40. I'm guessing that I can get in much cheaper if I wait until tip. (And no, I'm sure I had nooooo chance.)

17. MeanDean

MeanDean Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Male
    Retired Civil Engineer
    Clarence IA-Jensen Beach FL
    Make sure you come back here and tell us it was a disappointment after having been to Hilton for the TA&MCC game.

18. stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
    Male
    IT
    Ankeny
    So far people are really nice but these benches are made for my 10 year old.

19. CapnCy

CapnCy Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    I stayed there once on a game day...cool as it's attached to a mall and they basically do indoor tailgating.
    Also, there is a restaurant about a block away on the corner...had unreal good food...I ate there 4 times in my short stay...can remember the name, but the outside is brown and has a bar in it, but is a more upscale place...watch the game there if not in person.

20. ISU_phoria

ISU_phoria Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Construction Project Mana
    Andover, MN
    #20 ISU_phoria, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    I've got a project in Louisville now....I definitely plan on making a game during an upcoming trip there. Even in Non conference, I love going to games of other teams to check out their venues.

If given the opportunity, I'd jump at seeing Rupp.