If I had control of the Big XII( 16 Team League)

Discussion in 'Football' started by Boomer, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Boomer

Boomer Active Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Equal Revenue Sharing

247 Conference Network

Expansion to 16 team

Permanent Cross Conference Rivals

Big 16 West

OU
    Texas
    Texas Tech
    Kansas State
    SDSU
    Fresno State
    AirForce
    Colorado State

Big 16 East

Texas A&M
    Oklahoma State
    Mizzou
    Iowa State
    Baylor
    Kansas
    Louisville
    Memphis

Balance of Power is split up fairly well between East & West.

Adds HUGE markets, all schools still have games in Texas for recruiting & California is open up, travel is decent for the eastern schools ( Iowa State would only have to travel out to California once every four years)

We could make the other sports on POD system to limit travel

Flame Away

2. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    I'd swap A&M with Kansas State. Overall, not too bad. Maybe get Cincy instead of Memphis.

3. Clone9

Clone9 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Boston, MA
    It won't happen, but I like it.

4. Creed

Creed Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Fort Dodge
    not bad. but nobody thinks 16 team conferences will happen

5. D UP Clones

D UP Clones Active Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Current league needs to lose the 9th game

I think it is a mistake to play 9 league games. The big ten benefited from avoiding certain teams and it made it look like teams like Iowa were better than they were. It doesn't give a true champion of course and that's why the big ten had a tie more often than anything else.

I still like a 12 team league and think the conference is making a mistake if they don't attempt to get back to 12 teams and divisional play. The Big 12 needs a conference championship game.

I don't think adding teams like memphis benefits the Big 12. Plus, teams like Fresno would never meet the academic requirements. Right now, they live off partial qualifiers. That wouldn't happen in the big twelve.

BYU is the obvious team to me. I think you also might be able to convince an Arizona or ASU to move to the big 12. Then you keep the north/south split and add two states to the roster. That scenario benefits OU and Texas too because even if they lose the rivalry game, they won't lose again in the championship game.

Gives them a shot at a BCS game with one loss.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    I'm a fan of bringing in BYU and Louisville, but it also has to bring in the money to "keep" everybody happy.

7. brett108

brett108 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    Chemical Engineer
    Borger, TX
    I like it. I also like the inclusion of CSU. I love Fort Collins and would take a trip up there to see an ISU/CSU game, and it would **** off the Buffaloes. This is a great scheme, but this kind of stuff will have to wait until first tier is renegotiated.

8. CyBobby

CyBobby Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Central Iowa
    I want to see how this nine game schedule works out before adding any more teams unless your talking of adding lets say....

Notre Dame and BYU

9. cayin

cayin Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    add BYU and Colorado State. That is almost the same has having NU and CU back in the league. We get the state of Colorado back, we add one state in Utah and we get a team with a national following (BYU).

10. CydeKick

CydeKick Member

Jul 13, 2011
    I like CSU. I just don't see why BYU would want to join a conference. It seems they're pretty content being independent.

11. nickcyv

nickcyv Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2009
    I like it.

12. snowcraig2.0

snowcraig2.0 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Male
    Engineer
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    BYU has been to be one of the teams included.

13. cykadelic2

cykadelic2 Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2006
    You must not be a math major because there is absolutely no way adding schools like the AFA, CSU and Fresno would bring sufficient value to programs like OU, Texas and A&M.

14. Boomer

Boomer Active Member

Jun 7, 2010

You most not be aware of market sizes

15. cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
    I am fully aware that Larry Scott did not want any part of Fresno, AFA and Colorado State and just because a school might be in a populous area doesn't mean their are a lot of interested eyeballs who would watch them (e.g. Houston and TCU).

16. Boomer

Boomer Active Member

Jun 7, 2010

Larry Scott didn't want Fresno & SDSU because he already has California schools. It would be like us picking up Houston. makes no sense. Same for Colorado

• Like Like x 1
  17. jbhtexas

jbhtexas Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Arlington, TX
    Do not like...

1) 16 teams is too many. I just don't understand why people are so fascinated with 16-team conferences.

2) Don't like the two-hour time difference. This will be hell on the athletes and is one of the reasons given as to why the Pac-16 idea was opposed by some Big 12 teams.

3) Are you really adding California market share by adding Fresno State and SDSU? Does anybody in CA really care about those teams?

4) As someone else mentioned, there would have to be a significant relaxation of academic standards for some of those teams to be admitted to the Big 12.

Get Louisville and ND, and call it good... :jimlad:

18. cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

Any new team would have to add $20M each to the table. There is no flippin way that Fresno, AFA and Colorado State each command that much money from the networks. If they did, then the WAC and MWC would be getting a helluva lot more for their deals and there is a reason they don't. Again, work on your math skills.

19. GreenRocketCY

GreenRocketCY Member

Jun 5, 2011
    Western IA
    Boise State would be a good choice too.

20. snowcraig2.0

snowcraig2.0 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Male
    Engineer
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    My list of teams to add, from most desired to least desired: