I would consider this season a success if....

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by SpokaneCY, Mar 16, 2014.

1. SpokaneCY

SpokaneCY Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Manager of Natural Gas
    Spokane, WA
    What are your expectations?

For me, a sweet 16 appearance would tie a nice ribbon on this season (even though a championship would be cool) and I would be comfortable with that. Not saying we shouldn't strive for the whole enchilada, but....

2. Final42b

Final42b Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Ames
    It already has been a success. Sweet 16 would put the cherry on top.

3. MNclone

MNclone Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Production Engineer
    Burnsville, MN
    Success even with a loss on Friday.

4. HFCS

HFCS Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Art Director
    LA LA Land
    I'll only be bummed if we can't win this first game. UNC just rattled off a dozen ACC wins in a row, I won't be devastated if we lost to them. Beyond that it looks like we'd have a sweet 16 road game against one of three teams playing a stone's throw from home. I think it's a pretty tough draw personally.

The winning streak, the Michigan win, the OK State OT wins, the Big 12 tournament run, great year as long as the guys play hard down to the finish.

5. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Sterling Heights, MI
    It's a success if One Shining Moment is played over celebrating Cyclones.

6. cyclone101

cyclone101 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Central IA
    ...I disagree. No sense in playing this well all season just to get bounced in the first round. Stay hungry Cyclones.

7. Gtown25

Gtown25 Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Grinnell, IA
    this team has surpassed my expectations so far. enjoying the rest of this crazy ride. remember, this was supposed to be a rebuilding year

8. Rural

Rural Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Fred reloads.

9. digZ

digZ Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Colorado
    I think with the high seeding, and the current bracket sweet 16/elite 8 is a realistic expectation.

They have to play well all game though, no more first half shooting/layup breakdowns.

NC Central should be a win. They don't pose any significant matchup problems for us, and Fred has shown he doesn't lose to teams where he has the matchup advantage. Expect Niang, Ejim, and Kane to feast inside. This isn't a lengthy athletic B12 defense we're playing against...

Providence/UNC: Don't know much about providence, other than they beat Creighton. Again I can't imagine they have great personnel matchups to beat us. UNC is a different story, need to keep McAdoo/Johnson off the glass and need Morris to shut down Paige. UNC goes as he goes, and if he can get shutdown I don't think UNC has the offense to keep up with us.

At that point we're likely playing UConn/St. Joes/Nova. I think we can own UConn, their offense is also run through basically one guy, and they go as Napier goes. I admitedly don't know much about the style/personnel of St. Joes/Nova so I can't make accurate assumptions about a possible matchup against them.

After that no matter what we're playing a quality team, so it's likely going to come down to the wire and who makes clutch plays.

Just my quick analysis.

10. LutherBlue

LutherBlue Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2006
    All I want to see is our guys playing like they did this weekend because they really put it together. It was beautiful to watch. If they can keep that up, I'll be happy to let the chips fall where they may.

Sometimes you get beat, the other team is just better that day. But if we play well, I'll be satisfied.

11. JUKEBOX

JUKEBOX Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    I just want to keep winning...

12. madguy30

madguy30 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I can't expect a Sweet 16, but it would be a good showing for this team.

I'll be very happy if they play well Friday and come out with a win as well.

13. Cy83ag

Cy83ag Active Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Farmer
    Earlham
    It is already a success, now the expectations have been raised. The next step is to get to the sweet sixteen and beyond.

14. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    Correction: One Cyclone Moment.

Back on track: Regular season has already been a success. Tourney success would be Sweet 16, or playing to our capabilities and playing in Dallas.

15. CloneIce

CloneIce Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Already a success, the rest is just icing on the cake.

16. CoKane

CoKane Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Cedar Rapids
    Sweet 16 at least. Sucks our game in the Sweet 16 will require us to play Villanova or UConn in New York if we get that far.

17. mb7299

mb7299 Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Male
    they are having fun and get a participation ribbon for having a good year :)

18. cycloneworld

cycloneworld Facebook Knows All

Mar 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    NE Oklahoma
    I already think its a success. Even the biggest homer didn't see a 3-seed and Big 12 conf tournament title coming. We were all HOPING to be in the NCAA discussion. Now we are talking about our road to the Elite 8 and Final 4.

Barring an embarrassing upset in Round 1, this season has been a success.

Now the team has a chance to make it a great and memorable one.

19. digZ

digZ Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Colorado
    I think the best thing about this tourney is there really isn't an unbeatable team, so much parity. It's not like two years ago when it was a foregone conclusion that UK was going to steamroll everybody. Every team has holes whether it's depth, scoring, defense, inexperience. No way to a championship is going to be easy, but no way is totally out of the question either.

I hope our guys come ready to play every game and they have a chance to do something very special.

20. iowast8fan

iowast8fan Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Ankeny
    If we win our first game. Need to avoid the Cinderella upset to avoid erasing what has been an outstanding year so far.