I think some of you are now

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Knownothing, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Knownothing

Knownothing Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2006
    figuring out what us older folks know about ISU. We have been through this for ever. I remember when I was little it was Jeff Braswell getting hosed by the NCAA. I remember getting screwed by Jim Ciners guy to get put on probation. THe guy litterally broke the rules and did not get caught. Then quit/got fired and then ratted us out about the rules he broke. Then we get put on probation for it. Welcome to Cyclone Country everyone younger than me. For the record. It never ends. There is no end in sight. ISU is the bad girl friend you keep falling love with. That is what makes it better when we win. We win against the odds and now apparently the Big 12 and NCAA who cheat us every chance they get. Just think in 4 years when we win the big 12 basketball championship we can give every one the middle finger. Well that is until someone does a story on our coach and he get's fired.

2. CyBobby

CyBobby Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Central Iowa
    I've been around this train wreck since 1962 and U B Rite...It never gets better and right now we dont have one stinking major sport to hang our hat on...Maybe we should be named the Iowa State Trainwrecks...Cause thats what we are!!!!

3. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny
    Wow, should we call this the Debbie Downer thread??

Here is why I love being a cyclone EVEN this year.

Fball - Great win over enemy Iowa
    MBB-Again great win over Iowa, and great win over Purdue who is doing well.
    - Lucca will stay and next year should be great

WBB-Winning season and NIT bound, possible NCAA bound post season hopes.
    Wrestling-Beat then #1 Minnesota and was one match away from beating Iowa

Volleyball-amazing run in the NCAA tourney

4. JJ4ISU

JJ4ISU Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    WDM Side of Waukee
    Criner was busted during the 1986 season. He actually was let go or quit before the season ended, and we had an interim coach the last couple games. We finished that season 6-5, so he didn't lose his job for poor performance as much as cheating in one form or another.

5. Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
    NO offense but when you hang your hat on We beat Iowa who sucks and the Womens basketball team is going to make the NIsTeve Alford tourny then you know you had a down year.

6. isucyfan

isucyfan Speechless

Apr 21, 2006
    Dad/Student
    Saint Paul, MN
    It's always a good time to be a Cyclone, IMO.

Some years are just better than others.

Consider the (black and gold) alternative!:no:

7. mike4cy

mike4cy Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Urbandale
  8. isuno1fan

isuno1fan Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clive, Iowa
    Take your kick in the nuts like a man and move on.

9. SuperCy

SuperCy Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Superhero. Founding memb
    Smallville/Metropolis
    Beating Iowa doesn't give me great hope. Going on the little streak and playing well after getting handled by Texas makes me feel better than beating a medicore Iowa team.

Basketball has been inconsistent, at best. Again, beating Iowa is nice, but it doesn't make the season. Give me a nice run in the Big XII or the tourney.

Wrestling has been up and down all year. That match against Iowa wasn't even close. They dominated us. They took more shots. They were more aggressive. They capitalized on our mistakes. They did what we should have done. THis is the only sport where beating Iowa matters. Why? Because they're good. We were #1 and they were #2. That's why it matters.

WBB is just one bad thing after another. They were looking good and then all of sudden the season was in jeopardy. I don't see how you rebound from that.

Volleyball had a nice run, but who uses that as bragging material?

I'm not saying that there isn't a lot to be excited about. I just don't think that this past year is something that we can look back upon and brag about the results.

10. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny

Considering the injuries? The WBB is doing great IMO. And for a struggling men's programs....it always lifts spirits to beat Iowa anytime.

11. SlyCy

SlyCy Member

Apr 17, 2006
    North Liberty, Iowa
    You sound like a Haweye Fan talkin'. If that is the way you talk about Iowa State then I don't really want you as a fan.

And yes, I'm an older fan too that has been through some pretty bad years. I'll take building a solid program like we are now over accepting mediocrety like the past anyday.

12. clone2011

clone2011 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2007
    What if we're of the gender lacking any nuts to be kicked?

13. RyCy04

RyCy04 Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    I hate the lumps that come with being a Cyclone fan but I think that is also what gives us fans our character. I live in Omaha, home of the fair weather Husker fans. In the fall they are Husker fans (some even switched UNO fans this year), in winter they are all Creighton basketball fans or UNO hockey fans, spring they are Creighton or Nebraska baseball fans (depends on who is doing better). And they are all amazed, despite the ups and downs, how loyal we Cyclone fans are.

14. CyForPresident

CyForPresident Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Cornlands of Ayuxwa
    I've actually been thinking the same thing for the last couple of weeks. I need to stop caring so much.

15. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    Question for each year appears to be will the football team win 6 before the basketball team wins 18? Other fans from other Big 12 schools have put us back in our normal place in the Big 12 pecking roster. They do not worry about our football or basketball team after the last three years. We had them worried for awhile though.

Now even the Nebraska basketball supporters think they can beat us in Ames. You go get em, Rashon.

16. Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
    You should know by now that we are always building a solid program. Everytime we fire a coach and get a new coach we talk ourselves into it. You also know what we are talking about by getting hose at least once a year. I love my Clones and have never abandon the ship. The other thing you said annoys me pretty bad is that you don't want him as a fan. Fact is he has been a fan a long time. I always want people like that as fans. Also it's not up to us who get's to be a fan.

17. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha

Nuts or not, it still hurts.

18. c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s Active Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Then take your kick in the "insert Jane Fonda word here" like a woman and move on.

19. djcubby

djcubby Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Male
    Bondurant
    Oh please! I've been a Cubs fan all of my life and a cyclone fan for only about half of that. I guess you could say that I am a glutton for punishment (Leon Durham - ball through the legs, Mark Grace - striking out, Steve Bartman - nuff said). If I can stand all of the disappointments that go along with being a cubs fan, I can surely handle a few bumps and bruises along the way.

20. benjay

benjay Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    #20 benjay, Feb 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2008
    A wise man once said: There's no crying in baseball.

quit your ******** ladies.