Husker fans vs Hawkeye fans

Discussion in 'Football' started by Let's Go State, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Let's Go State

Let's Go State Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Far Western Iowa
    Yesterday I was approached by two random husker fans complimenting the cyclone win and discussing the game highlights. It was a great exchange finishing with...'man we miss playing ISU and KSU... Screw Missouri'

The two hawk fans I saw chose to heckle and make fun of Tulsa as a high school team in which i refrained and said 'have a nice day'.....

I think Kirk Ferentz is a class act.... I believe that most of their Athletes are generally decent, and some fans have some class..... But why is it so damned hard to find them to have a decent conversation....

2. KFitzy87

KFitzy87 Guest

Husker fans are wayyyy more classy in general than Hok fans

3. CYlent Bob

CYlent Bob Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2006
    engineer/surveyor/rancher
    The Winterset Metroplex
    I saw this thread title & thought to myself "That would be a GREAT matchup for Thunderdome!"

4. Sloup

Sloup Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Ames, IA
    Husker fans are pretty pretentious, but respectful to opposing fans. They're the fan base you hate to get along with.

5. MIClone

MIClone Active Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Biologist
    Central Michigan
    I guess I'd have to vote that it's a draw. In my experience, both of these fan bases have more than their share of jerks. But then again, there are a lot of fan bases out there that are really bad (e.g., Penn St., N.D., any SEC team). ISU fans just tend to be in close proximity to these two and these two seem to enjoy being jerks to ISU fans.

6. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Stereotype much? What makes you think all people are the same, regardless of who they root for? At church this morning I had three Hawk fans AND a Husker fan come up and congratulate me on ISU's win. What's it mean? Four people have a little class. Nothing else.

BTW--I responded in kind.

7. Let's Go State

Let's Go State Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Far Western Iowa
    Fair enough. And my perspective may be scewed that I work in agriculture - frequently with Nebraska graduates that have degrees in agriculture. I doubt that many of the irritating run-ins that I have with Hok fans have a degree. And rarely do I work with agriculturalists with a degree from Iowa... rarely.

8. Hawkeye11en1

Hawkeye11en1 Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Colorado
    There are dooshers like me in every fan base.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Male
    Economist
    Cincinnati, OH
    Nebraska still seems to think they're a big deal (and they were at one point), but they are generally pretty nice. At least some of their fans tend to have degrees from UNL, from what I can tell, though.

Iowa seems to think they're a huge deal (when they never were), and they aren't on the nice side. They, also, seem to have problems with, you know, most of their fanbase being non-alumni or non-local...

10. baller21

baller21 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    project manager
    Ames
    everybody say Cootah!

[​IMG]

11. temperflare

temperflare Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Insurance Industry
    Bondurant
    The difference is Nebraska has the hardware to back up their arrogance. Iowa has... well... nothing.

I can at least RESPECT Nebraska's program. Besides, we all know beating Nebraska is/was a much greater accomplishment than beating Iowa.

12. Fanbases have general identities that are different. Claiming every fanbase has the same people in every spectrum is a little off key because every school has different cultural backgrounds, different tradition, etc.

13. Wardecker

Wardecker Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Nebraska fans have been a puffed up bunch since Devaney brought the program back from the grave in the 1960s. But Texas stole their mojo and made them doubtful and insecure. Iowa fans have been the same since Fry who brought the program around in the 1980s My dad talks about how insufferable they were in the Evashevski days.

Time to steal what mojo the hawks have left.

14. CyBroncos

CyBroncos Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2010
    West Des Moines
    Both think they are elite programs. Based on tradition and hardware Nebraska has the right to think that. Iowa fans, meanwhile, are delusional...but we already know that