Human Organs For Sale?

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by alaskaguy, Nov 15, 2007.

1. alaskaguy

alaskaguy Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    U.S. federal law bans the sale of human organs. However with the demand for kidney transplants far outstripping the number of donors, some economists are urging the adoption of market-based innovations to increase supply. I have linked a paper authored by economists Gary S. Becker and Julio Elias, who argue that monetary incentives are the most efficient way to boost the number of organs available for transplant, and should be introduced.

Link:
    http://home.uchicago.edu/~gbecker/MarketforLiveandCadavericOrganDonations_Becker_Elias.pdf

2. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Advertising sales
    Ankeny
  3. herbiedoobie

herbiedoobie Active Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Military Training Scenario Writer
    Germany
    Organ donation is roughly analogous to college athletics. Everyone manages to make money in the process, except the one who is actually providing the "material". They are expected to sacrifice their body for "free" or are looked down upon, by those same people who are rolling in the dough.

4. cmoneyr

cmoneyr Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2006
    IT
    Ames, Born and Raised
    ...But your dead, I don't think anyone is forcing you to give up a kidney while you're living or be an outcast. You should do it because it's the right thing to do, what kind of compensation would you propose for the dead?

5. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

That would make a Terry Schiavo case a little more intriguing, wouldn't it? Technically you could donate a kidney and just live with one.

6. cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
    IT
    Ames, Born and Raised
    Well technically you could donate your eyes to some blind kid and be fine, but I highly doubt people would look down on you if you didn't.

7. keepngoal

keepngoal Jobless Jerk
    Staff Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Human Organ discussion in one thread and fast food burgers in another.

*sigh.

-keep

8. cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
    IT
    Ames, Born and Raised
    What! Where is this discussion of fast food burgers?! I want in.

9. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Network and Server Admini
    What can you lose....1 kidney, 1 lung, half liver, gallbladder, appendix. Am I missing one?

10. keepngoal

keepngoal Jobless Jerk
    Staff Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Testicle?

-keep

11. cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
    IT
    Ames, Born and Raised
    Keepn, just because you may be able to survive this long with one doesn't mean the rest of us are willing.

12. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Network and Server Admini

There is no way I would lose that badboy. My junk is staying with me till I rest in the soil.

13. alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
    An excerpt from the linked article....

"Interestingly, in Iran payment to live donors of organs is legal, but the Iranian theocratic government outlaws the use of organs from cadevers for transplants because that is assumed to violate the Koran."

Personally, I found Table 5 to be interesting. Table 5 considers the most important arguments that have been advanced against payment for organs by comparing that system with issues raised by a volunteer army (see page 45).

14. iceclone

iceclone Member

Nov 26, 2006

Page 45 ????

This is completely unreasonable. At best you can expect us internet posters to click on the link and read the abstract. Getting to page 45 is just way out of line :wink:

[/soapbox]

15. CTAClone

CTAClone Addict

Mar 28, 2006
    First Assistant Director
    Amerika
    About 5 years ago I signed up for a Liver Transplant. It was a free website you can log onto and sign it just in case you needed a new liver. You could also order a shirt with your rank and number on it to wear while you went out drinking. I'm wondering where I stand on the list, but alas I can't find the website anymore.

16. cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
    IT
    Ames, Born and Raised
    That's an excellent idea, preemptive organ signups. Can I call dibs on a heart, nothing from a baboon though please.

17. alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
    According to the paper the median waiting time for a liver transplant was 430 days during calendar year 2002. However a factor that should be considered when reviewing the aforementioned statistic is that 15% of the population that is waiting on a liver transplant dies while waiting.

The risk of a living liver donor dying as a result of a liver transplant is estimated at no more than .33%.

The average cost of a liver transplant in the US is $335,000. The estimated market price of a liver is $37,500.

The paper analyzes the morality issues connected with selling human organs (pages 25-28).

The paper concludes that permitting people to sell their organs would dramatically increase the supply of organs available for transplant while not not appreciably increasing the cost of transplant operations.

18. herbiedoobie

herbiedoobie Active Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Military Training Scenario Writer
    Germany
    Are you saying that dead people have no bills? Or, more precisely, the relatives and former dependents of dead people should just "play ball" with the doctors, hospital administrators and insurance companies that make money off the transplant?

Maybe you should suggest that the "right thing to do" would be for the people making a profit off the transplant should do it for free? I mean, it's "the right thing to do."

19. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    She already took mine, so this is just the next logical step.

20. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    Can you rent organs for awhile?