How was dickie v during the game?

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by EvilBetty, Nov 18, 2013.

1. EvilBetty

EvilBetty Member

Sep 7, 2012
    i loathe dickie v but was wondering what people thought of his commentary during the game. I was at a bar and couldn't hear the announcers.

did he actually give good fair analysis of the game or did he just slop over michigan until the very end when we won.

2. Cincyclone

Cincyclone Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Was great IMO. Very complimentary of ISU. Clearly did his homework on both teams and talked up Hilton Magic a TON. It was basically a 2 hour long recruiting video for the Cyclones.

3. Jambalaya

Jambalaya Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Dickie seemed to really enjoy himself, and gave Hilton, the fans, ISU, Hoiberg major props

He did fawn all over Michigan 80% of the time, but it was great having him here in Ames

4. gogagig

gogagig Well-Known Member

May 21, 2008
    I could hear him, but I was not listening.

The few seconds I did care to listen, he was fantastic and very complimentary to ISU

5. The_Architect

The_Architect Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Focus Town
    I watched the game on DVR last night after returning from the game. He was great.

6. intrepid27

intrepid27 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Executive Recruiter - Ag
    Marion, IA
    I was OK with the performance shortly after the game when he started blubbering about Michigan STATE. I've never seen an announcer in any sport get so mesmerized with the top 4-5 programs like **** V can. He knows more about the top 5 any given point then he does the other 300+ teams put together.

7. peteypie

peteypie Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2007
    I will say the crowd was great. They drown out ****'s voice for most of the game.

8. coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Male
    KC
    If you didn't like Dickie V before, you will still not like him. Probably nothing anyone on this forum can say to change your mind. If you like good publicity for ISU, you will like the fact that he was here and enjoy the national exposure like the rest of us.

9. nhclone

nhclone Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Wasn't too bad, very complimentary of Freddy and Hilton magic. Had a few moments where my brother and I exchanged a "what the **** is he talking about" look.

10. ribsnwhiskey

ribsnwhiskey Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Ames
    The crowd was loud enough most of the game to drown out his voice quite a bit. Now that he's been to Ames and Hilton, I will tolerate him a lot more than I used to. In general it was really a big deal finally getting a visit from him.

11. deadeyededric

deadeyededric Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Parts Unknown
    I normally can't stand him, but I didn't think he did a bad job yesterday. I also thought the crowd was drowning him out a lot. How loud was it inside? A couple people have told me they didn't think it was near what the Kansas game was last year. Sure seemed similar.

12. Jambalaya

Jambalaya Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Look for Dickie's next few games. He has a habit of rehashing good experiences or venues on the air, on national TV

I'm sure there will be many more ISU props from Dickie V as long as we keep winning

13. CTTB78

CTTB78 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2006
    I could hear the play by play guy clearly, even with the great crowd noise, but I had a hard time making out 50% of what Dickie was saying. His voice seemed kind of muffled. He was OK toward ISU, but talked more about MI until the last three minutes.
    I was surprised that he brought up the infamous Johnny Orr interview when Johnny told him he 'kick his a.. when he was at MI". I could not believe that he tried to say his Detroit team cost Johnny a national championship. Did I hear that right?

14. cyclonedave25

cyclonedave25 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Sports Performance Coach
    Chicago, IL
    Yes, you did. And then he started going off on a tangent and the other guy quickly changed the subject and helped guide him back on course.

Other than that, I thought he did a great job.

15. fsanford

fsanford Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Oh c'mon only 1 answer here, Dickie V was "Awesome Baby."

16. CoKane

CoKane Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Cedar Rapids
    I gotta say that at first I didn't want him here at all, I found him annoying at times during games, but I wouldn't mind having him back in the future.

17. cyclonedave25

cyclonedave25 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Sports Performance Coach
    Chicago, IL
    I hope he comes back for the Big Monday game vs Kansas.

18. I will be in the lower deck for that one. He will hear me boo the refs. Hard to boo the refs when you are in nosebled heaven.

#AllWeKnowIsBooTheRefs

19. huntt26

huntt26 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Instructional Technology
    po' dUnk
    The whole broadcast and outcome was great... except for when they showed the Ohio State game from last March toward the end of the game. Yuck.