How many kickers should we bring in?

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by ScottyP, Nov 4, 2007.

1. ScottyP

ScottyP Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Agronomist
    Johnston, IA via Ogden
    I know that scholarships are valuable at this point, but I was wondering if you guys think we should try to get that kid from Johnston and the guy from Marion.

2. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member Bookie

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    Yeah I agree, if you can get them both, competition is good.

3. cytech

cytech Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Hiawatha, Iowa
    Never been a fan of sticking all your eggs in one basket, so I would like to see two, though it does suck to have to use 2 in one year for one.

4. ketelmeister

ketelmeister Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Two FG kickers and a punter would be nice. But they won't offer until they see if any of these guys can kick off of natural grass.

5. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Speaking of grass, what was up with the sod yesterday? Shaggy had to put the field back together before he could attempt his field goal.

6. chadm

chadm Giving it a go

Apr 11, 2006
    Midwest
    I didn't see that since I had my head in my hands praying.

7. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Me too:wink:. They showed that part on the replay.

8. cyfreddy

cyfreddy Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Not sure how many kickers should be brought in. On a positive note Grebain was kicking better yesterday, then he has in the past.

Cyfreddy

9. CyCloned

CyCloned Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Accountant
    Robins, Iowa
    I think they should bring in one that can kick! It is completely insane the number of walk-on and scholarships kickers that have tried and failed to improve the kicking game at ISU in the past 5 years.

Maybe it is just bad luck or bad choices, but it isn't like Mac didn't give a lot of guys a shot at the job or spend a scholarship on the problem. GC came in looking to replace Shaggy and quickly figured out that Shaggy was the best of a bad lot.

10. jperickson23

jperickson23 Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Des Moines

I could be wrong but I seemed to me that Brent Blum and Chuck Reed were hinting on the call in show yesterday that it would only be a matter of time before Zach Guyer (Johnston) would commit to us. Does anyone know how Guyer is kicking off grass?

11. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member Bookie

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    Josh is a senior right? So we have 0 kickers next year.

12. Stormin

Stormin Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Chris Mahoski is listed on the roster as a Sophomore. He was given a scholarship a couple years ago but broke his leg before getting to ISU. Don't know how he is panning out. But it is safe to say, that he is not as good as Shaggy......which isn't that great.

The field goal made by Shaggy looked pretty weak. As they said in the Call In Show after the game. "It was leaking oil, badly".

13. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    How many Polaskis to change lightbulb? That is how many kickers you need.

14. Drive4cy

Drive4cy Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2006
    It's really not that difficult to bring in a serviceable kicker. I know Iowa State has made it look VERY difficult the last 5 years but it's really not. Spend 1 scholarship on a kicker you have confidence in and bring in another 1 who has potential to walkon. If we do that, we won't be in any worse shape than we're currently in. Just my opinion.

15. hoosman

hoosman Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Engineer
    Burlington
    I agree. Using 2 scholarships in the same year is overkill.

16. 83Clone

83Clone Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Ankeny, IA
    Mahoski blew out an ACL playing soccer his Sr. year. Not sure he has recovered

17. ketelmeister

ketelmeister Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2006
    Is he keeping his scholly?

18. Cypwr

Cypwr Active Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Amekeny
    My veiw of the kick was straight on from the East side and we were lucky because the holder just got the ball up off its side at the last milisecond, considering that I was just pleased that it went thru the uprights.

19. clones_jer

clones_jer Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2006
    IA
    #19 clones_jer, Nov 4, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
    So you're saying our kicking game could be worse? :eek:

I was in the endzone stands and that FG from the 7 yard line cleared the east upright by about a foot and a half - it was diving HARD left. And the punts seem to get worse and worse every week ... is his leg wearing out? The "net 8 yard" punt was a perfect storm of crappy punting and crappy coverage.

20. hawksuck75

hawksuck75 Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Student
    Eugene,Oregon
    I go to school with Guyer from Johnston, he is very pro-ISU and with an offer I think he will committ.