How long would it take to build a new SEZ?

Discussion in 'Football' started by cyclonedave25, Sep 5, 2012.

1. cyclonedave25

cyclonedave25 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Sports Performance Coach
    Chicago, IL
    Yes, another SEZ thread...
    I was wondering how long it would take to build the SEZ? Is that something they could do in 1 off season, assuming they started right after the final game? Without knowing what the SEZ will consist of and how complicated it may be.

2. cysdude

cysdude Member

Dec 21, 2011
    cow milker
    Why don't they just make it a category...

3. CyArob

CyArob Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Nuclear Fusion
    MN
    So you expect them to start in winter? Never gonna happen.

4. NobodyBeatsCy

NobodyBeatsCy Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Sales
    Clive, IA
    I could get it done for you over a weekend.

5. jbclone10

jbclone10 Member

Apr 11, 2008
    Denver, CO
    With the amount of threads that the SEZ has created, I am guessing 85% of CF would help for free. Taking that into consideration my guess is 3 months. It would be 2 months but the remaining 15% of CF that think the SEZ is a bad idea would protest and cause some delays. :rolleyes::twitcy:

6. cyclonedave25

Jul 10, 2007
    Sports Performance Coach
    Chicago, IL
    No, I expect them to start in late fall. Waiting until December 21st would waste too many days.

7. CyArob

CyArob Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Nuclear Fusion
    MN
    I guess they could remove the stands and other items currently in the south endzone. But not much earthwork would happen immediately after the season ends.

8. dzmetcalf

dzmetcalf Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Student/Freelance Design
    Ames, IA
    it could, just depends on how intense winter is, anything like last year and a lot of work could get done during winter

9. BooneCy

BooneCy Well-Known Member

May 30, 2006
    They would have to go to the Board of Regents for a vote to most likely get a loan for the money, because a 60 million donation would have to come into avoid a loan. So, let's pretend the vote already occurred.

They would probably start in the spring, and if they did an upper deck, they probably wouldn't finish by the start of the next season. But, that is just a guess.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rhoadhoused

Rhoadhoused Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Student
    Ames, IA
    Yeah this is the timetable I would expect. Remember that they were considering removing the old scoreboard because they thought it would allow them to cut down the time it took to bowl in the SEZ from 2 years to 1.

11. CY9008

CY9008 Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Des Moines, IA
    Ya I thought the plan was to move the old scoreboard to the new soccer/track complex... Is that not happening anymore? Has anybody been to the new complex?

12. cyclonedave25

Jul 10, 2007
    Sports Performance Coach
    Chicago, IL
    I think they decided to leave it up because if they took it down the current SEZ would look too bare. I'm guessing they will eventually move it there when they officially start construction on the new SEZ.

13. cyclone87

cyclone87 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Grad Assistant
    Ames, IA
    I would think construction would take more than one year.

14. isulive2train

isulive2train Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Real Estate Mgmt
    Ciclón Nación
    So far?....too long.

15. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Male
    Advertising sales
    Ankeny
    I would guess they could start some work in the fall (such as pulling out the old video board), tear down of the south stands could happen immediately following the season (and with some work with the conference maybe we work to see that our home schedule ends earlier than this year, like it did last year), and maybe some early re-grading work, but most work would have to happen starting in spring i would imagine.

Someone with the construction knowledge would have to answer- could you get at least the lower bowl done from november to august? Otherwise you're losing a LOT of seats for a season.

16. Goothrey

Goothrey Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Student
    Austin, Tx
    Probably two offseasons depending what else might go along with the structure. Lower bowl in the first year, upper deck in the second year.

17. Let's Go State

Let's Go State Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Far Western Iowa
    If they borrowed baylors tarp that they use for their end zone, they could work through the winter......

:jimlad:

• Like Like x 1
  18. CyArob

CyArob Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Nuclear Fusion
    MN
    If it's good weather, you could have a lower bowl done (or at least done enough that it is suitable for seating) in an offseason if you started in November IMO. Weather is the greatest variable when it comes to construction. As someone said earlier, if it was like last winter, you could make some solid progress, but if it's a normal Iowa winter, you won't see much of anything until early March.

19. KneeGusto

KneeGusto Active Member

I might just grab a shovel and see how much I can get done Sunday... (If they let me.)

20. hexodat64

hexodat64 Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Ames, IA and MN
    While we're at it, why don't we just borrow their whole bowl? It's not like their using it!