How good was/is Bubu?

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by Firefighter4Cy, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Firefighter4Cy

Firefighter4Cy Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Firefighter
    Stuart
    My memory is fading and I can't remember how good Bubu actually was. I know he could create space and get the rim, but was he an outside threat as well? And I'm sure all of this was covered in the other Bubu threads, but didn't want to slog through all those threads to find this out.

Also, what is the possibility that he ever plays again? Or is just being reinstated enough satisfaction for him?

2. Rural

Rural Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Please, for the love of god…….

3. ISUCyclone06

ISUCyclone06 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Quality
    Greensboro, NC
    This could be another great long thread!

Bubu was going to start this year before the transfer of Kane. He had improved his shot and was playing the best ball of his career. How good? Who really knows but he would be giving us minutes and not riding the bench.

4. Stewo

Stewo Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Male
    Commodity buyer
    Iowa
    The best way to look at having Bubu back on the team is that he can give you quality minutes most of the time. However, he tends to make plays some times that are real head-scratchers. In other words, not very consistent. He is solid defensively however.

5. SpokaneCY

SpokaneCY Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Manager of Natural Gas
    Spokane, WA
    I'd argue ONLY because they needed to see what Morris could do as a true freshman - not because Bubu had anything other than bottom of the bench PG skills.

6. RayShimley

RayShimley Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Post-doc Fellow
    Stillwater, MN
    High energy, solid on ball defender. Very good at drawing fouls and a good FT shooter. Has shown some ability to hit the three, but seemed to be the only guy on the floor without a "green light" the past two years.

7. SpokaneCY

SpokaneCY Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Manager of Natural Gas
    Spokane, WA
    He averaged 2.8 ppt last year to go along with 1.2 apt with .8 tog all on 12 minutes. PROLLY 2nd team all B12... :pcute:

8. JWIL4CY

JWIL4CY Active Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Insurance
    Urbandale
    hopefully we will find out soon

9. BuffettClone

BuffettClone Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Is he really going to be getting any minutes though? We have Kane and Morris is really playing well for the PG spot and I don't see Bubu as a SG unless its for defense. I have nothing against him but I just don't see how he fits in this team at this point of the season.

10. Bigman38

Bigman38 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Male
    Council Bluffs, IA
    The Bubu debate is always a good way to see who actually watches and understands whats going on in the games and who just looks at box scores.

11. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

My impression is that it was a self imposed thing

12. Scott34

Scott34 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Cedar Rapids
    Is Bubu starter quality probably not but he is a very solid guy off the bench. I for one would welcome him with open arms as we have a pretty short bench.

13. jkclone

jkclone Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Male
    Student & Iowa State Fan
    Urbandale
    I don't know if it was true but others have said his 3pt shooting has really improved. They said he was going to start at SG so maybe he is the 3pt threat we need to get us over the top.

14. pourcyne

pourcyne Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Did the judge rule that Fred has to play him?

15. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

I have no doubt that he would be a solid addition to his team. The tough part is how the basketball program/athletic department decides to handle it. If they decide he's back, I think we're a better team with him.

16. RayShimley

RayShimley Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Post-doc Fellow
    Stillwater, MN
    Could be, I have no inside info on that. Just seemed to be the only guy on the floor who wouldn't throw it up every time he was open from three (which was often because opposing teams seem to catch onto this tendency quick). Looks like he was 1 for 5 last year, which doesn't tell us much, but the year before he was 5 for 11. So he definitely has the ability to hit them at a good clip.

17. Scott34

Scott34 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Cedar Rapids
    Does it matter? He said he is ok to play for now so why does he have to sit?

18. cyguytillidie

cyguytillidie Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Male
    Des Moines
    He averaged a triple-double in the CCL this year, so really good. Probably first team All-America.

19. EddyCy

EddyCy Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Eddyville, IA
    In before Triple Double................in CCL. :shocked:

20. That's neat.