How fast do we really want to run our offense Saturday?

Discussion in 'Football' started by clonedude, Oct 5, 2011.

1. clonedude

clonedude Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    Does anyone think it would be a wise decision to go jet tempo on Saturday? I don't.

I don't think we'll all of the sudden start huddling or anything like that, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us use most of the play clock before snapping the ball. I just don't think you want to get into a track meet with Baylor at all.

I wouldn't hurt to really get the running game going this week. How is Baylor at stopping the run? It would be in our best interest to keep the ball out of RGIII's hands as much as possible.

Thoughts?

2. RING4CY

RING4CY Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Photographer
    Ames, IA
    Playing Baylor is the perfect example of "a good offense is your best defense." Use your offense to keep Griffin on the sidelines.

3. Judoka

Judoka Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Timbuktu
    Depends on if we gift them 30+ points or not.

4. cstrunk

cstrunk Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Field Engineer
    Tyler, TX
    I think it would be wise to use more of the play clock before the snap. But I also think that we need to try to push the tempo at times, just to keep Baylor's D off balance.

5. HiltonMagic

HiltonMagic Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    CA
    Whatever speed it takes to score. Don't worry about keeping him off the field, they'll score no matter what. Have to be able to score enough.

6. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    I'm just glad to see a thread about football.

I think running some clock would be good, but I also believe that we have to do what works for us. If the uptempo is the pace we're used to running, we can't completely get away from it.

7. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    I'm just glad to see a thread about football.

I think running some clock would be good, but I also believe that we have to do what works for us. If the uptempo is the pace we're used to running, we can't completely get away from it.

8. clonedude

clonedude Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    That's what scares me.

Baylor is going to get their points. The only way to limit their point total might be to limit their possessions? If they get very much into the double digits in possessions, I'm afraid to think what they might put up on us?

9. mcblogerson

mcblogerson Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I think if you have an opportunity to get a quick score on jet tempo, you take it and not worry about the defense. I think our best chance at winning this game though is still to slow it down and run the ball as much as possible to eat clock and minimize TOs

10. InCytful

InCytful Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    I think it takes our offense scoring 35 points at least to win this one. I think our D is good enough to hold RG III to that. I don't care if they need to go fast or slow to do it, as long as they eliminate the penalties and turnovers. When you get down to it, We haven't scored more than 24 points in regulation in any game thus far this year, including the Iowa game where we scored 20 in the 3 OT's. SJ and co need to add a couple of scores to that. Kickers need to make their field goals. It would be nice for a change to have a lead and need to work the clock with our running backs, not SJ having to lead 2nd half comebacks. :yes:

11. MIClone

MIClone Active Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Biologist
    Central Michigan
    If the jet helps us to move the ball and score points, then that is what we should do. Running clock during a three-and-out does us no good against Baylor.

12. bawbie

bawbie Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    tempo has to be tailored for the situation.

On the first couple plays of a drive, they need to slow down. Having a 3-and-out while being on the field less than a minute is killer for the defense.

But once you get a first down or two, and get into plays 5,6,7 of the drive, and have the defense on their heels - that's when the jet needs to kick in and keep the defense reeling.

I hate ripping on AA, but this is some he (and the coaching staff) seemed really bad at last year. they'd go fast when I thought they shouldn't, then slow down when they need to speed up.

13. bawbie

bawbie Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Nice post. 35 is the exact number I came up with too.

14. dualthreat

dualthreat Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    We need to limit baylors possessions no doubt. If we have one turnover or one missed fg that might be too many.

15. GoClones123

GoClones123 Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Clive, IA
    If we can run the ball effectively then why not? Eat clock, score touchdowns, keep their best weapon on the sidelines. IF ISU can manage to not turn over the ball, which I believe is JAMES WHITE. Want a game of ball security, run it with JW, that eats clock and minimizes turnovers.

Then when the running game is full on - take your shots with Money or Lenz, I believe we can be really an effective run spread team.

16. HiltonMagic

HiltonMagic Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    CA
    Cutting down on turnovers will be more important than tempo. Can't give them any extra possessions/free points. Make them work for every yard.

17. dualthreat

dualthreat Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    This might sound dumb but on ncaa football video game, I play offense like baylor. I'm 21-5 online and I can score in bunches. I know exactly how to beat me too...

To beat me, you've gotta be able to run the football and work the clock. Limit me to 4-5 possessions in the whole game. Then you need to stop me when I'm on offense one or two times. I throw picks sometimes and those can be killer.

Basically the same formula to beating baylor. Hold them a few times and CAPITALIZE on our opportunities

18. awd4cy

awd4cy Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    The main thing I want to see is us running the ball a lot (mainly because Baylors run defense is terrible and I would like to see us chew clock like KSU did). It is also going to be important that our defense is not on the field all the time and is not gassed. I really like our chances if we can just keep this game close going into the 4th quarter becasue how how good of a 4th quarter team we are and how bad of a 4th quarter team Baylor is.

19. yler4cy

yler4cy Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Engineer
    Ankeny, IA
    #19 yler4cy, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
    I think that we need to play the offensive scheme that we have played all year. We have had drives this year that have taken multiple minutes, but it seems that when we try and slow down or speed up that is when we get into trouble. i.e. penalties or turnovers. I just want us to play a mistake free game, which will be tough with our history so far this season. If we do this, I believe in Wally that he can put a game plan together for RGIII. I really think that ISU struggles with mobile quarterbacks, see UNI and UCONN games, but think that Wally's game plan will be the difference maker.

As mentioned in the other 40 post this week alone, we just need to eliminate as many mistakes as possible.

One added note, Baylor has 7 turnovers this year through 4 games. 3 alone against KSU.

20. Klonz

Klonz Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Project Manager
    Grimes, IA

This... we can't come in scared... we have to come in with our game. So far I've had some times when I'm impressed with our offense... but in three years I've been most impressed with our D... most of the time. We are only in year 3 of the Rhoads/Herman/Burnham project - and wouldn't give it up for anything!!!!