How did you like these officials?

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by Psyclone Brian, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Psyclone Brian

Psyclone Brian Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    (retired) Military
    42°00'50"N 93°
    I thought the officiating crew of Tom Eades, John Higgins, Mike Sanzere, did a pretty good job. The only exception was a foul call against Ejim. I know the official didn't have the greatest angle on it (because I agree there was a foul) I just think he caught the wrong guy.

2. cmjh10

cmjh10 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Iowa Falls
    They let a lot of stuff go. I like that, no need for the refs to determine the games. There were times though, I thought it was getting too physical, and they needed to step in.

3. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

I thought it was perfect, particularly in a big game. Let them play, but call it when the contact makes a difference.

4. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    I liked them when they called fouls on Michigan. I hated them when they called fouls on us. Obviously, they missed about 57 on Michigan, and called 13 too many on us.

Other than that, they were human, and that's high praise for a referee.

5. Ciclone

Ciclone Well-Known Member

May 5, 2008
    Clive
    They were fine (except the guy who looked like G.W. Bailey).

6. pulse

pulse Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    I thought they did a great job. They didn't call those 2 ridiculous flops.

7. I booed, but not as much as normal. Which made me both sad and happy.

8. MaccloNe

MaccloNe Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    IT
    Not sure why Michigan thinks the refs cost them the game. McOgre should have fouled out, but they didn't call obvious fouls on him.

9. casey1973

casey1973 Active Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Female
    Ames
    The refs did a good job and stayed out of the game. I wish we could pencil them in for the rest of the season.

10. brentblum

brentblum Brett Blume
    Staff Member

Jul 26, 2007
    We will see Higgins and Eades quite a bit this year...I'll be sure to bookmark this thread. :smile:

11. HoraceGrant

HoraceGrant Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Anytime Higgins is a part of the crew you know the game is going to be officiated excellently. A world class official.

12. kberyldial

kberyldial Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Didn't frosted tips call one or both (KU AND OSU) of the debacles against us last year? I tried to watch the hand check fouls and it looked like both teams did a nice job of not doing it. I thought the game was called well. There were a couple of phantom fouls. Niang backpedaling was one but I remember a Michigan player getting one when our guy flew out of a rebound and it was called from the opposite side of the court.

13. ISUAgronomist

ISUAgronomist Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Ag Research
    Close Enough, IA

My opinion of Higgins will never change. He's a turd.

14. 85clone

85clone Member

Jan 2, 2010
    I didn't even notice the officials. So I guess in my book, they were great.
    Not that I saw much hand-checking going on, but given the point of emphasis this year, I thought there would be more fouls called on both teams.

15. Clonefan94

Clonefan94 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Graphic Designer
    Schaumburg, IL
    This is kind of how I felt. I didn't notice them and I didn't miss them. That's a good thing. They probably could have called more on both sides, but I'd rather they let them play than dictate the pace of the game.

16. BBHMagic

BBHMagic Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    I liked them just fine. It seemed to me that the first half was called in line with the new rules and they kind of let the second half go a little bit. It will be interesting to see as the year goes along if they stick to the new rules. They've said in the past they would enforce the rules more strictly but always end up being more lenient as the year goes along.

17. ken

ken Member

Dec 28, 2008
    There was the time Kane got fouled on a drive and they counted the basket. No one in our section thought it should've counted, but we didn't mind.

18. mkadl

mkadl Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Cornfield
    I like invisible refs!!!! Didn't notice them. I am a homer and wanted a few calls but thats normal.

19. I made a comment about continuation and several chuckled. I felt like Richard Pryor.

20. ken

ken Member

Dec 28, 2008
    My bad, it was Hogue. Just watched the game again. What a great game by our guys.