How did Iowa State play poorly against Iowa?

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by AltHawk, Dec 16, 2013.

1. AltHawk

AltHawk Member

Sep 2, 2012
    I see a lot of posters say that Iowa State played like **** against Iowa yet still won. However, I don't really understand where this is coming from. They shot right near their season average (48% FG, 35% 3PT, 64% FT against Iowa; 49% FG, 37% 3PT, 68% FT for the season) in every category and only turned it over 10 times. This is the third Iowa State game I have watched this season (Mich, BYU) and they played just as well, if not better, than they played in those games.

Is it because Iowa State struggled getting back in transition defense and gave Iowa a lot of easy baskets, so the perception is that Iowa State didn't play well? Or do Iowa State fans just refuse to acknowledge that Iowa's collection of gingers and inferior athletes was able to hang with Fred's bunch? I guess I really just don't understand that line of thinking and would like some perspective from Iowa State fans.

2. CyTwins

CyTwins Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Ankeny
    ISU never got in a rhythm offensively and struggled getting big stops which prevented a great run that could get the crowd into the game

• Like Like x 1
  3. BBHMagic

BBHMagic Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    While our free throw percentage was near our average, that's because we finished 6-6 from the line at the end of the game when we started to dominate. Before the end of the game, we weren't playing very well and shot 17-30 (56%).

4. FarminCy

FarminCy Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Panhandler
    Right Over There
    Do you still think that ISU will be lucky to make the NIT like your prediction about 6 months ago.

SCOREBOARD!!!

5. ILiftWithRoyce

ILiftWithRoyce Active Member

Feb 6, 2012
    ISU Student
    Ankeny
    I think only the most ignorant of ISU fans will not admit that Iowa is a very good team this year. I also think most of the criticism of the way ISU played is aimed towards ISU's defense. However, this is also partially credit to Iowa's offense. It seemed that Iowa had many wide open looks during the game, at least in comparison to other teams that ISU has played. It would be hard to back up any argument that ISU played poorly offensively.

6. MNCyGuy

MNCyGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Des Moines
    I don't remember ISU's transition D looking that bad against Michigan or BYU. Maybe Iowa is just that good on the break, I haven't watched them play any other games this year, but it sure seemed like all the talk of having to stay out of foul trouble really messed with their heads on defense. And for as good as guys like Niang played, you had Kane and Thomas definitely looking out of sync compared to what they've shown so far.

Also, just because it's close to their averages doesn't make terrible FT shooting better. It was still terrible FT shooting.

7. weR138

weR138 Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2008
    TL:DR

Go **** yourself.

Scoreboard.

8. CYCLNST8

CYCLNST8 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Male
    Urbandale
  9. MNCyGuy

MNCyGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Des Moines
    Yea, I should have added, I have no problem admitting Iowa has a good team. In fact, we should all thank them in advance for how good they're going to make us look when they start B1G play.

10. djcubby

djcubby Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Male
    Bondurant
    Didn't shoot the 3 ball that well, didn't shoot FT's worth a damn. Slow getting back into transition giving up quite a few easy buckets. Not able to really get into our offense, wether that be Iowa's D our our poor play, not really sure. The only person who really got easy buckets was Niang, thanks to Woodbury's impersonation of a tree.

11. awd4cy

awd4cy Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    85-82 *****

12. Bader

Bader Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ankeny
    Validate my favorite team!!!111!!1111!!

#hawkeyetears

13. AltHawk

AltHawk Member

Sep 2, 2012
    If you don't have the attention span to read something for 30 seconds, you might want to see a doctor. Thanks for providing a mature response. You are an exemplary example for all Iowa State fans to follow.

14. 00clone

00clone Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2011
    "Before" picture model
    Iowa City area
    I'm just going to leave this here:

[​IMG]

15. Illiniclone

Illiniclone Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Iowa is a good team no doubt, but VERY GOOD TEAMS don't blow big 2nd half leads. They've done so in both of their losses.

16. ISU42

ISU42 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    This topic is going to eat Atlhawk and Clark alive. Iowa State can play better defense.

17. MartyFine

MartyFine Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Warren Co., IA
    If you have found a way to score more points than the other team, then you've played pretty well.

I would say that ISU did not have the spacing and ball movement that they have had most of the year, but a lot of credit must go to Iowa for mixing up defenses. When ISU made one extra pass, things went pretty well.

18. ThatllDoCy

ThatllDoCy Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Entrepreneur
    Chicago, IL
    Iowa played very good defense and had an excellent game plan to stop Kane. Which they did. We did a good job of staying close and closing the game out.

I wouldn't say we played terrible, but Iowa definitely gave us all we could handle. We won the game, so yes, I don't think you can say we played a bad game.

19. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Male
    Ankeny

ISU was sleep walking most of the first half. They should have been down by a lot more at half with that effort.

ISU defense was 100% better in the second half. The easy baskets all but went away. Then ISU went to work at the end and closed it out.

20. ILiftWithRoyce

ILiftWithRoyce Active Member

Feb 6, 2012
    ISU Student
    Ankeny
    Youre right, they're very Alford-era-ish in that regard. I officially renounce my claim of "very good" in exchange for "good".