Hoops starting lineup for exhibition

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
Sounds like the first two off the bench will be Morris and Long followed up by Bluford. Guessing Edozie or Gibson see some minutes if we have foul trouble in the post and SDW sees spot duty here and there like Long did last year.

DrewCo

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 14, 2008
Quad Cities
SDW (or Bluford) are the guys who can come off the bench firing away and give that spark.Morris is the guy off the bench that can come in and run the offense and get the right guy the ball in the right place and not turn it over. In other words, I expect:SDW is the FIRE IT UP guy off the benchMonte is the CALM IT DOWN guy off the bench
Replace SDW with Bluford and I totally agree

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
That's probably the next phase of discussion: Long, Gibson, Bluford, Morris, SDW .... I assume it would depend on opponent and game situation (fouls, matchups) ... If Fred starts a true freshmen and then brings another true freshmen first off the bench with regularity — I'm intrigued.
Tyrus first off the bench was a no brainer. This year it may be who gets their first two fouls dictates the situation.

DrewCo

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 14, 2008
Quad Cities
I don't think Thomas is on the same level as Babb yet, but I don't think it's crazy to call him a better shooter. I think that's pretty accurate.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I don't think Thomas is on the same level as Babb yet, but I don't think it's crazy to call him a better shooter. I think that's pretty accurate.

Nothing against Babb at all, because he established himself as a tremendous Cyclone, but I don't think he was ever mentioned as the best shooter in the nation for his class.

It won't be long before we're in awe of Thomas's shooting.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Personally thought SDW would start over Thomas. He looked much beter in the CCL than Thomas, and the RS year should have given him a leg up. SDW was not a bad recruit either.

Huh? From what I saw, I thought Thomas was the better player. I know SDW had that explosive game, and I thought he looked pretty good overall, but not as good as Thomas.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
IF SDW is the 4-5th guy off the bench, that is an unfortunate headscratcher for me. I expected more from him.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Nothing against Babb at all, because he established himself as a tremendous Cyclone, but I don't think he was ever mentioned as the best shooter in the nation for his class.

I thought KU has the best shooter in this class? I remember the KU guy beat Thomas pretty bad in the 3 point contest last spring. Of course that is just a snapshot instead of how well guys shoot over time.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
IF SDW is the 4-5th guy off the bench, that is an unfortunate headscratcher for me. I expected more from him.

Bluford, Thomas, Kane(some of the time), and Long. That is 4 other guys that can play his position. So I think it is a case of having too many guys at one spot than it is a reflection of SDW's ability. Hopefully, the position is even more crowded next year with Vaughn. :)

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
I thought KU has the best shooter in this class? I remember the KU guy beat Thomas pretty bad in the 3 point contest last spring. Of course that is just a snapshot instead of how well guys shoot over time.

Frankamp and Thomas were definitely considered the top 2.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Frankamp was a pretty intimidating shooter in that contest.
I won't say that he isn't outstanding, just that Thomas has been mentioned as the best shooter in the class. Not by all, but by credible sources.

DrewCo

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 14, 2008
Quad Cities

Exactly my point Erik! Babb was great, and was could get hot from three, but Thomas as a shooter is on another level.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

There is clearly 2 guards (Long and Morris) who will come off the bench before him. 3rd guard in will be SDW or Bluford. But he's just a RS Fr, don't give up on him yet!

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Last year Babb shot 41% from the the field and 38% from behind the arc for reference. I think some of the expectations for Thomas are a little ridiculous.