Home Basketball Hoops

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CyMark1986, Mar 27, 2010.

1. CyMark1986

CyMark1986 New Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Anyone have a recommendation for a home (in ground) basketball system? I have been looking but the prices vary so much and I don't have a good grasp of value with this product.

Are the Goalsetters/Gorilla set ups worth the money? How about ease of set up? I would like something with a square pole as I percieve that to be sturdier than the the round.

Any input/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. vortex

vortex Active Member

Jan 30, 2010
    I put in a Goalsetter back in 2002, the only complaint I have is the white paint around the edges of the backboard and on the square around the rim basically disappeared. My boys gave it quite a work out over the years. Very solid set up.

3. CRcyclone6

CRcyclone6 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Male
    Recruiting
    Cedar Rapids

are you looking to install it yourself, or have a pro do it? My friend has his own company and does a ton of setups/installs for ****'s Sporting Goods, but also travels to Des Moines area alot to do installs?

4. nickwc

nickwc Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Ames
    awe basketball in the driveway, very good times of the childhood.

5. ISU42

ISU42 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    I sell/install Goalsetter Basketball Systems. My parents bought a Goalsetter for my siblings and I while growing up and has stood the test of time. We've had it for 15 years and it held up against the beating my friends and I put on it.
    I'd recommend getting a glass backboard opposed to an acrylic board. As someone stated earlier, the lines on the backboard wear off on the acrylic board because they're painted on the outside, while the lines are baked in on the glass backboard. Glass will be alittle heavier lifting it, but it's also cheaper than acrylic. Glass also has a truer bounce like a high school backboard whereas acrylic absorbs the bounce. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you've got.

6. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    You forgot the most important part: Glass looks cooler. :yes:

7. BigBake

BigBake Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Programming monkey
    U'dale
    Can anyone add suggestions for a portable system? I can't do an inground but we're going to check out portable systems today.

8. ISU42

ISU42 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    That is true. Also, acrylic sometimes clouds up.

9. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    Buy a rim that cannot be broken easily. People like to dunk in the driveway.

10. chewbocka

chewbocka Member

Nov 25, 2009
    I broke the rim right off our hoop with a dunk about 5 years ago. Granted, the backboard was probably 10-15 years old. I think the backboard was made of fiberglass - the rim was getting really bouncy toward the end of its life.

11. Erik4Cy

Erik4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Male
    Home Mortgage
    Urbandale, IA
    Buy a backup rim & net too, so you don't set a whole day away for friends to have an all day tourney of driveway bball, just to have a dunk and break it on the first game and run around wasting the rest of the day getting a replacement.