HDTV-Computer Connection Issues

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MNclone, Dec 14, 2010.

1. MNclone

MNclone Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Production Engineer
    Burnsville, MN
    Last weekend, I moved my desktop computer to the opposite side of the family room so it is close to the tv now. I thought it would be nice to connect them via HDMI....
    I can't seem to get the TV to recognize the computer.
    It is an Olevia 237T connected to an NVIDIA GeForce 210 over HDMI. I'm running Vista on the computer. The computer ID's the TV, tells me the model number, native resolution, etc. I've tried nearly every possible resolution output available from my video card.

Getting pretty frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    Does your computer automatically output the HDMI or do you have to enable the dual monitor manually?

And are you flipping your TV input to the correct HDMI input?

3. conmebol

conmebol Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I have Olevia 32" in one of my bedroom. I think the native resolution is 1366x768. Make sure the tv source is in hdmi.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
    Production Engineer
    Burnsville, MN
    I've got the computer set up to run dual monitors. I have confirmed that I'm looking at the right HDMI connection, and 1366x768 also didn't work.
    Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming!

5. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    Did you try a different cable to rule out the cable? (Yes, I realize the computer recognizes the TV but hey, what can it hurt?)

With the dual monitors, do you have to suggest VGA or HDMI manually?

• Like Like x 1
  6. MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
    Production Engineer
    Burnsville, MN

GOT IT!!!!
    Good call about the different cables. My HDMI cable wasn't long enough so I got a 3 foot extension. I propped up the computer so that the original cable would reach and viola, it worked.
    Now the bummer is that I need to get a longer HDMI cable, fish it through the wall, take the TV off the wall to connect it, and put it back up.
    This is why I ran all the cables that I would conceivably need when I originally mounted the TV!

Thanks for the help guys.

7. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    monoprice.com is your friend.