Hawkeyes starting to sweat?

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by mike4cy, Nov 27, 2006.

1. mike4cy

mike4cy Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Urbandale
    I have a feeling that there are people around the U of I that are getting a little nervous about the future, Recruiting in state talent just got a lot harder for them, not to mention the potential level of competition and media coverage. There may be a new football icon in the state of Iowa. What does everyone think? I would love to be in the mind of some Iowa fans right about now, only temporarily of course. :eek:o7dt:

2. VII_Fe

VII_Fe Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Mahomet, IL
    Not that I think your wrong, but their fan base is way bigger than ours. Ferentez is an excellent coach. And as for the Media, well we do call it the Rag.

3. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    Big 12 just became bigger in Iowa over last 15 months. No time to quit now. Can we say HyVee Cup again?

4. mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
    Urbandale
    Yes they have a bigger fan base, but I see no reason why we can't have high hopes for the future. I talked to a few Hakw fans today that seemed a little bit like "uh oh". That is why I bring this up.

5. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    At least we will now be unpredictable in football fake plays and blitzing.

6. Broodwich

Broodwich Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2006
    Web Developer
    42.186391, -93.598597
    What do Hawkeye fans and Cyclone fans have in common?

....neither one of them went to the University of Iowa.

:biggrin9gp:

7. CLONE2THEBONE

CLONE2THEBONE Active Member

Aug 4, 2006
    This is not going to be an overnight thing. We're not going to be great immediately because we got a new coach.

I'd say they have some time to relax still, not that they're great by any means.

8. JonDMiller

JonDMiller Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I think its a great hire. It brings a buzz, and he has as good a resume as an assistant as you are going to find.

But to say that recruiting in the state just got a lot harder for Iowa, to me, is a bit disrespectful to how hard Coach Mac actually made it in reality, not betting on the come.

9. CY ST8T

CY ST8T Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    I have to disagree to a point Jon. The reason is because Chizik has experience with grooming corners to be Top 10 draft picks and has more name recognition with being from both Auburn and Texas. I am a huge Mac Supporter, but also knew that Mac was outrecruited by Ferentz consistently. Mac did more with what he had such as the walk-ons I believe, but Ferentz had the name and rep. I think that Chizik takes some of this away. Speaking of Ferentz, Chizik seems alot like Kirk in that he is a quiet type who seems to think more about what he says before it comes out.

10. JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
    "Speaking of Ferentz, Chizik seems alot like Kirk in that he is a quiet type who seems to think more about what he says before it comes out."

I thought the same thing tonight, and then thought of Pollard's three main hires, and they all seemingly fit that bill, too.

11. mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
    Urbandale
    Thank you CySt8t, that is my point exactly. I am not disrespecting Mac in any way, Jon. I am just saying that Chizik could very well make it harder because of his rep, and his attitude. Don't listen to him Dan, I have a very high level of respect for you.

12. GoShow97

GoShow97 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    mass enlightenment
    homeless
    Honestly, I could care less about the Hawks. As long as ISU focuses on what ISU needs to do, other things will take care of themselfs. Who cares if they are sweating or not. One of the problems I think ISU fans have is seamingly focusing about the Hawks too much.

13. guitarchitect7

guitarchitect7 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Photographer
    There is a lot of truth to that I feel. Chizik looked stiff tonight, but you do get a good feel of what he will be like in front of the camera.

All three guys are more about getting down to buisness. They will tell it how it is, but still be politicaly correct. I think this is something we are all ready for.

14. mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
    Urbandale
    Focus on Hawks, no. Excited about a potential shift in power for the future, very much so.

15. jkoo

jkoo Member

Apr 21, 2006
    student
    couldnt have said it better myself. Cyclone fans have too long have used EIU as the benchmark for comparison for the level of sucess in athletics. We have to ignore what they think in Iowa City and be concerned with whats going on in Ames. That way in time those Hawkeyes can use us as their benchmark for sucess.:biggrin9gp:

16. PolkCityClone

PolkCityClone Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Hey Miller - shouldn't you be planning your next **** on ISU skit?

17. JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
    "Hey Miller - shouldn't you be planning your next **** on ISU skit?"

Got any ideas?

18. PolkCityClone

PolkCityClone Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Yeah, how about you dress up like a Hawk and we throw cowpies at you? ISU farmers are good at that. That way, we **** on you for a change. Sound good?

Deace, you Michigan homer, when are you coming back to KNXO?

19. mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
    Urbandale
    The guy on your show today that could barely speak was hilarious, great stuff.

20. CY ST8T

CY ST8T Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Yes, I also agree that we don't focus on the Hawks. But honestly do you think there are many teams in Division 1 football that seriously do? This being our super bowl was just a dumb excuse for getting beat. Of course ISU focuses on games week by week. It is the fans that put more into it because we all have 10 or 12 Hawkeye fans that are always there to poke fun at every loss ISU has and every negative thing that happens. Sure there are 2 or 3 that are decent, but for those 10 or 12 you know you will cheer like hell to win that rivalry game. And when it goes a little bit farther you start to have two favorite teams which are ISU and whoever plays Iowa that week. And don't act like there are not a bunch of them out there because I heard the excitement every time in JTS this year when the Hawk score was announced and them being down was the only saving grace we had in this horrible season! I will still always get up for this game, but it is not the most important game and I will never believe any excuse a Hawk can give about why it is.