Have you ever walked in to a movie?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ruxCYtable, Dec 19, 2013.

1. ruxCYtable

ruxCYtable Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Male
    To go along with the other thread. Have you ever gone to a movie on a whim, having no idea what to expect, and walked out with a new favorite?

Several years ago we went out to dinner with friends and they said hey, let's go to a movie. We went to the theater and picked the next movie that was starting, having not heard of it and knowing nothing about it. That movie was "American Pie," one of the all-time greats in my mind!

2. ianoconnor

ianoconnor Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Male
    Urbandale
    As of now, I have walked into every movie I've been to. Maybe someday I will mix it up and either run or crawl in, but that day has yet to come.

3. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Network and Server Admini
    We're the Millers.

Figured it would be good for a laugh or two at most. Not a huge Aniston fan.

I was so wrong. Stellar comedy the whole way through.

4. MNCyGuy

MNCyGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Des Moines
    It's been a long time since I've just went to a movie on a whim. I think the best was when MNCyGal and I randomly went to Forgetting Sarah Marshall at the Ames dollar theater That movie was a nice surprise.

5. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny
    We walked into Napolean Dynamite figuring it was some kind of action movie...never seeing a trailer for it.

Walked out with my side hurting. It was just so unexpected.

6. kentkel

kentkel Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Male
    Teacher
    Grinnell
    A Knight's Tale with Heath Ledger. Hadn't read any reviews or watched any trailers for it. My wife and I went into it with zero expectations. Excellent movie - Mark Addy, Alan Tudyk and Paul Bettany all gave great performances. If you haven't seen it, I'd highly recommend it!

My wife and I went to "While You Were Sleeping" starring Sandra Bullock, without knowing anything about it, and we really enjoyed that movie. It still ranks up there as one of our all-time favorite RomComs.

7. CYCLNST8

CYCLNST8 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Male
    Urbandale
    "Over the Hedge." Got drunk with some college buddies and went on a whim. We loved it so much we went out and got more friends to come back and watch a later showing that same night. Only time I've ever gone to see a movie in a theater twice in one day.

8. CyOps

CyOps Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Cat Burglar
    Lincoln
    We saw Cowboy's and Aliens in the theater. The older guy behind us was talking before the movie started and he thought it was going to be about Cowboy's and illegal Aliens and some kind of border dispute. After the movie he said something like "didn't see that coming".

9. Cybyassociation

Cybyassociation Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Hot Rod. Hot Rod all day long. I had no idea what the movie was. Oh man what a classic. Every time I watch it I find amazing new lines.

10. BKLYNCyclone

BKLYNCyclone Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Male
    Architect
    Twin Cities, MN
    Did the same exact thing with American Pie... Just went to kill time with zero expectations... Laughed my *** off.

11. wolverine68

wolverine68 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Professor
    Urbandale
    Brazil. Still love Terry Gilliam.

12. ISpyCy

ISpyCy Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Male
    Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
    Napoleon Dynamite - I was originally thinking some sort of nerdy superhero kind of movie, walked out of there with stupid humor one-liners stuck in my head for days. Stupid humor is what I thrive on.

13. erikbj

erikbj Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2006
    compliance officer
    hiawatha, ia
    Saw...............guys from the office wanted to see it, I tagged along without knowing anything about it. Needless to say i didn't want to walk through a dark parking lot alone for the next two weeks.

14. Cyclonin

Cyclonin Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Im pretty sure both men and women are fans. Are you either? Her dance scene in that is worth the admission price alone.

15. ruxCYtable

ruxCYtable Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Male
    I'm not a laugh out loud person. I kind of zone out when watching TV and movies (drives my wife nuts) but I'm laughing on the inside. I could not contain myself with American Pie.

16. Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Im fricken pumped! Been drinking Green Tea all goddamn day!

17. Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Are you talking about Segel's opening part? I don't want to hear about that.

18. RoseClone

RoseClone Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Rose Capital of Iowa
    I was on Christmas break from ISU and my mother still lived in Colorado so I went back there. We decided to go to a movie that we didn't really know anything about. Loved it and laughed through the entire thing. There were like 10 people in the entire theater.

You can now watch a marathon of that movie every Christmas time. "A Christmas Story"

19. MLawrence

MLawrence Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2010
    I can't remember which late night talk show it was, but Segel was promoting the movie and talking about how his mom was at the premier. Apparently he left out the details of his full frontal nudity to her.

20. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Network and Server Admini

Not a fan of her acting. HER ACTING. Everything else Im a big fan of. Especially her dance scene.