Has McDermott commented on the transition at Iowa State?

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by Bewilderme, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Bewilderme

Bewilderme Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Minneapolis
    First of all, I'm not trying to bring up painful memories here. I'm curious if anyone has followed Greg McDermott at Creighton - has he commented on the quick success at ISU following his departure? I remember those years and the initial optimism followed by disappointment that seemed to take place each year. Greg seems like a good guy but just couldn't get it done here or in the style of the Big 12.

Does anyone know his take on our situation? Has it been completely ignored over there or is there some awareness of his failures here? I wonder how Creighton will go once Doug is gone.

Lastly, thanks Creighton for not making us fire your coach!

2. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny
    People on here acted like McD woke up and tried to screw over ISU bball each and everyday. The guy knows his X's and O's and had some pretty good players. Problem is he seemed to have trouble keeping players and had some unfortunate breaks along the way.

Best of luck to him. Glad we got Fred now!

3. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    Why should he? He took the high road while moving on. Both programs won. Why should he dredge that up?

4. Mr Janny

Mr Janny Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
    Staff Member

Mar 27, 2006
    I suspect Greg is happy for ISU, and glad things worked out the way they did. I know he and Pollard were and still are good friends. And there would be zero reason for Gmac to hold a grudge, considering he left of his own accord.

5. CloneIce

CloneIce Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Worked out great for both sides. ISU fans will forever be grateful to Creighton, and Auburn.

6. CyTwins

CyTwins Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Ankeny
    Greg is a terrific Missouri Valley coach plain and simple. They are different types of players with different expectations on how to be treated. To coach in a conference like the big 12 you have to have a different mentality and he never had it. Combine that with bad luck and it's a great thing he's in a better situation and ISU is as well

7. Cycl1

Cycl1 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2012
    M.E.
    North Liberty
    Greg is like the girl you dated, where you just never clicked right, and who while a nice person, it just didn't work out with, and you are happy where you are and glad they are happy too.

8. BigBake

BigBake Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Programming monkey
    U'dale
    Yes, he was very PC and said the right things. I dont have an article think. it was preseason and some of it focused on his son and why he didn;t recruit to isu. his reply was essenttilly "i thhought he was only a mid major talent so i steered him towards uni"

9. MartyFine

MartyFine Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Warren Co., IA
    Yes, SI had a story on Doug from last season.

McDermott was quoted as saying something like, "I was part of creating a culture at ISU, which I didn't particulary like."

No idea what that means. I just know that he should have recruited Doug to play at ISU.

10. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
  11. Cydkar

Cydkar Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Isn't it pretty clear that it would have been a mistake and Greg did the right thing by NOT recruiting him to ISU?

12. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Member

Jul 25, 2008
    It will be interesting to see how he does in the new Big East (if Creighton is invited).

13. MartyFine

MartyFine Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Warren Co., IA
    I guess he did the right thing if he intended to leave all along, but that is almost worse than the recruiting mistake.

14. besserheimerphat

besserheimerphat Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Product Engineer
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Many of coaches move around a lot, particularly if they are successful but not yet at the highest level of competition. I wouldn't read anything into it. Creighton may be the perfect fit for him finally, and a place where he can stay long term.

15. PabloDiablo

PabloDiablo Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Physical Therapist
    Omaha, NE
    Yes, but not for the reason he said, because he was going to get ****-canned. But still, yes.

16. rholtgraves

rholtgraves Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    To say that he is a great Valley coach is an overstatement. I think ISU could have gotten a better coach to begin with. At UNI the highest he ever finished was 2nd in conference. They tied for fifth the year before ISU hired him. And don't give me this crap about his style wasn't right for a major conference. That is bs. The problem is he isn't a great coach and if you aren't a great coach but you are still a hard *** then you will see lots of transfers because why put up with it if you aren't winning? Look at him even at Creighton, only one year in first place and that's only because he has one of the best college basketball players in his team in Doug. It was a bad hire when it happened and Pollard also messed up with the contract he gave to him.

17. Acylum

Acylum Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2006
    USDA
    Parts Unknown
    A culture of losing maybe? Not trying to be an ***, maybe that's what he meant. Also, does anybody else think he may not be all that excited to be going to the new Big East?

18. mkadl

mkadl Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Cornfield
    I had an ISU shirt on at the Omaha airport once, GMAC spotted it held up his fist and said to me "Go Cyclones" He initiated it. That impressed me.

19. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Member

Jul 25, 2008
    The Cyclones and Bluejays should play every year. It'd be an easy travel for fans of both teams. I think Omaha is closer to Ames than Iowa City is.