Gottlieb giving isu some respect

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by cyclones12321, Feb 26, 2012.

1. cyclones12321

cyclones12321 Active Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Us Cellular
    Newton Ia
  2. CYlent Bob

CYlent Bob Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2006
    engineer/surveyor/rancher
    The Winterset Metroplex
    I never thought he hated ISU. I just figured that he made a comment without watching enough tape to know the truth, and then doubled down on the original opinion instead of reevaluating his position. Now, he's going to be ISU's best buddy on ESPN to try to make up for the mistake. That's not the worst thing he could do here.

The worst thing he could do would be to get a do-it-yourself lobotomy and change his name to Trev Alberts.

3. ISUagger

ISUagger Active Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Student
    Ames
    He played it off more as a bad loss to k state than a good win for us. I'm just happy he took the time to mention it though.

4. cayin

cayin Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    he brings up the "questionable call" again while ignoring all the fouls KSU got away with in that first match. for reference there is 4 fouls in just the you tube highlight alone that were not called on KSU. They were all on made shots. That does not include all the pushing, pulling, checking, and bumping they were getting away with throughout the game that were not in that little video.

5. CycloneVet

CycloneVet Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Male
    Veterinariian
    Cedar Falls
    He says our defense is still suspect, **** him.

6. cyhawkdmb

cyhawkdmb Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Insurance
    CB
    I believe he said something along the lines of... Talking to K-State staff, they felt like they let one get away in Ames.. With the last second shot and non call... It wasnt Gottleb saying it, just passing on what he had heard.. Honestly he could say today that he felt like ISU was a FF team and people on here would *****...

7. Clone5

Clone5 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Iowa
    Do you honestly think he's wrong?

8. cyhawkdmb

cyhawkdmb Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Insurance
    CB
    #8 cyhawkdmb, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
    Baylor Game? And how many bunnies did we give up yesterday... We did play hard at times... but also gave up some easy ones...

9. gogagig

gogagig Well-Known Member

May 21, 2008
    I like how they showed their tv room- as if to say- "we actually watch all games"

yeah right...

10. madcityCY

madcityCY Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Architect
    Madison, WI
    "bad defense" is partly true. We play good perimeter defense. Our post defense is far from great, and we don't guard the rim very well.

The most frustrating part is making a team go 30 secs without really getting a shot, then they finally get a pass in to the post for an easy layup at the end of the shot clock. We do that too often.

11. kilroy

kilroy Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Land Surveying
    hills to flat lands
    This, no love. el well.

12. Cincyclone

Cincyclone Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2012
    I'd say our defense is the biggest weakness of this team.

13. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Sterling Heights, MI
    I wouldn't necessarily say that, I'd say our defense has problems guarding teams with a credible lane presence and teams with a legitimate point guard. If our opponent has both of those things, God help us.

14. Sloup

Sloup Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Ames, IA
    That's probably the biggest criticism about this team, but it's not completely awful, so I can live with it. I'm sure Fred knows it's there.

15. cyclone87

cyclone87 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Grad Assistant
    Ames, IA
    defense isn't bad, sure there are some issues but that is true for every team. We guard the perimeter very well imo.

16. madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
    Architect
    Madison, WI
    Yeah - we are doing pretty damn well this year considering our personnel "imbalance". When we play our short, guard-oriented lineup, and not having a 6-11 shot-blocker type, we are going to have to live with that weakness. We have other strengths.

17. That should be expected since we don't have a true center and despite Royce's size and strength, he's at a disadvantage against guys who are 6'8 and above.

That's not to say that there's nothing to be done about it; I think we're a little slow off screens, especially down low, and Royce's quickness to help out at the post has been suspect (hence all the scoring off of cuts). Overall, though, the coaching staff has done an outstanding job switching between defensive sets and forcing the opposing offense to mix it up.

18. madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
    Architect
    Madison, WI
    agree completely, see above.

19. jay moe

jay moe Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Educator
    southern iowa
    Defense has been an issue, but we also give teams all kinds of problems offensively. Defensively yesterday, for the vast majority of the game, we were very good, but had some lapses, but kSU does lots of backscreening and cutting which is difficult to contain for an entire shot clock.

20. Senolcyc

Senolcyc Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Finally giving in and being forced to admit that Iowa State is a tournament team, while still getting in his digs, is not showing respect.