Good ISU/Texas Preview....

Discussion in 'Football' started by cyclonefan20, Sep 29, 2011.

1. cyclonefan20

cyclonefan20 New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Saranac, MI
  2. CySmitty

CySmitty Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Mechanical Engineer
    Longmont, CO
    Its not bad. I like the way he describes Jantz. I think he underestimates James White. I also think Lenz is just as good as $.
  3. dualthreat

dualthreat Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Calling ISU wide receivers the best offensive unit. Never thought I'd see the day...
  4. isufan

isufan Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    SW Iowa
    Jeremy Allen ? who dat
  5. psychlone99

psychlone99 Well-Known Member

6. crash_zone

crash_zone Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Tiffin, IA
    I have yet to see ANYONE pick ISU to win in the national media. Why is there so much confidence in TX?
  7. MIClone

MIClone Active Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Central Michigan
    For the same reason that Michigan is in the Top 25. And the same reason that Notre Dame has been getting votes. Those programs always get the benefit of the doubt. ISU does not. We keep winning and it will come though!
  8. EYEoftheSTORM

EYEoftheSTORM Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Ames, Iowa
    Hey a good analysis and only 1 mistake (Jeremy Allen...) But I wonder why nobody will pick the Cyclones. I think we will get some love from Corso/ Herbstreit on Gameday as I think at least 1 of them will take the Clones. They do their homework on the Cyclones and see we are better than our scores/penalties/turnovers would otherwise indicate.
  9. cyfan15

cyfan15 Active Member

Oct 23, 2006
    The annoying part of most outsiders' analysis of our 3-0 start is that they mention that we're close to being 0-3. While that's true, it ignores the fact that turnover margin and penalties are the only reason any of these games have been close. It's not a talent issue, it's a correctable mistake issue. Those kind of mistakes are to be expected early in the season with all the new faces on offense, but this is the fifth week of the season (4th game plus bye week) and with our track record under Rhoads of not making those kind of mistakes, it stands to reason that those issues will be corrected as the offense becomes a more cohesive unit.

The only reason the UNI game was close was because a number of players were out either the whole game or most of the game and Jantz was a little shaky making his first start ever without our two best OL. The Iowa game we dominated statistically, but fumbles kept Iowa in it. The UConn game was a letdown game on the road six days after an emotional 3OT game, and the Cyclones still pulled it out after a horrible start. We WON our letdown game.

It's obvious the team is still finding itself, but people that don't follow our program closely don't understand that historically ISU loses all of these games when faced with that kind of adversity. Overcoming adversity is something that good teams do. The Cyclones haven't been nearly as good as they will be later in the season, but they're still undefeated against a good schedule. That counts for a whole lot more than anybody on the outside really understands.
  10. 00clone

00clone Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2011
    "Before" picture model
    Iowa City area
    #10 00clone, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
    I'm not bagging on this team, I love it, but from an outsider's point of view, ISU is lucky to not lose all 3 of those games. From an insider's point of view, we didn't roll over and die like we have in years past, that's why so many of us are so positive. However, we can't ignore the fact that if we make as many mistakes as we have in the first 3 games, we will lose a lot higher percentage of our games in the big 12 schedule. There's a lot to be optimistic about that we couldn't be in years past. Receiver play, 'gut it out at the end' play, pressure on the QB, etc., but there is also a lot to be concerned about...our turnovers and lack of opponents', penalties, F'ing field goals, again...

To repeat, I'm not saying we stink, but I think it's fair to say that we still have some things to clean up to prove to the rest of the College Football world as far as our ability to not HAVE to pull it out in the 4th quarter. I LOVE how we played in the OT's against Iowa, but truth be told, had we not missed opportunities earlier in the game, it shouldn't have been required. Love the wins, and am very happy with where this team is, but our upcoming opponents will allow us much less room for those same errors.

*edit* Cyfan15, I think we're dang near on the same page, I just am of the belief that until we prove otherwise, we WON'T get the benefit of the doubt by the non-ISU-centric media, and if you look at our performance over the last 20 years, it's justified. I'm not happy about that, but I'm honest.