Good article on Eustachy and Gillespie

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by ISUChippewa, Sep 16, 2009.

1. ISUChippewa

ISUChippewa Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    I found this on CBSSportsline.com the other day. It does put LE in a very good light. As for Gillespie, I stopped liking him when he went to Kentucky and supposedly tried to steal Weasel Johnson away from us, but if he is suffering from alcoholism, maybe there's a good reason why he comes offf as such a pr!ck.

Anyone want to take a side bet on how long this thread takes to turn into either an indictment or defense of LE's performance at ISU?:wink:

Gillispie's tale rings familiar tune to recovering Eustachy - NCAA Division I Mens Basketball - CBSSports.com

2. Tornado man

Tornado man Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Ames, IA
    LE comparing alcoholism to cancer? Good...god...

3. Haverhill

Haverhill Well-Known Member

Exaggerating a fact to make a point. I do it all the time. I hate when people discount alcoholism as being nothing, or as if it is none of their business, and I think it's freaking ridiculous that people think that way. If we don't help people with the problem, they will continue to make the same mistakes. I'd rather help someone after a first mistake (or even third) before mistake six or seven takes an innocent life in a drunk driving situation, etc.

I can say I am proud of Larry for the leaps and bounds he has made to this point in his journey to sobriety, and will always be proud to call him a Cyclone.

4. IceCyIce

IceCyIce Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Safety Man
    Grimes
    I too was a LE fanatic. I liked his drive and energy on the court.

5. Go2Guy

Go2Guy Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Chemical Engineer
    Houston, TX
    I'm surprised the LE rehab articles keep appearing; the reporters seem to keep reprinting the same stuff.

6. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    A lot of people have drinking problems. LE's story is a good one since he has been clean. Many others are not.

7. jbhtexas

jbhtexas Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Arlington, TX
    Having watched a parent and several other relatives die from cancer, I can say that I agree with one thing in that article: That Eustachy is so full of sh--.

8. jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
    Arlington, TX
    Insinuating that alcoholism is in any way comparable to the horrors of cancer goes beyond exaggeration and ends up right smack dab in the middle of stupidity.

9. Tornado man

Tornado man Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Ames, IA
    I hate when people like LE elevate a behavior, like alcoholism, to the level of the disease of cancer. It's obscene.

10. herbicide

herbicide Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Ankeny, IA
    Since this is the 10th post, "What is the 11th post in this thread, Alex?, for $1000."

11. TykeClone

TykeClone Burgermeister!

Oct 18, 2006
    The answer is - An answer that would show up on the hit syndicated show "Jeopardy"

12. gogagig

gogagig Well-Known Member

May 21, 2008
    OK i'll go- Iowa State used to be good at BB. Now ISU BB is like ISU FB. In FB season, BB season can't get here soon enough. In BB season, FB season can't get here soon enough.

13. herbicide

herbicide Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Ankeny, IA
    You couldn't of waited one more post, could you!

14. jaretac

jaretac Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Frigidaire
    They both destroy lives, seems like a good comparison to me. The only difference is that with alcoholism you do it to yourself (unless you are hit by a drunk driver), with cancer you normally have no control over it (providing your not a smoker).

More Americans will die this year because of alcohol than have died in all the wars since WWII. It is a problem.

15. jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
    Arlington, TX
    That's kind of a big difference, and it isn't even close to being the "only" one.

See this post...

16. Cydkar

Cydkar Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    So alcoholism is like suicide and cancer is like dying in an airplane crash. Unless the pilot is committing suicide, of course. Your "only" difference is HUGE.

17. clonecard

clonecard Member

Oct 21, 2006
    Re: LE

HUGE congrats to LE for staying sober. I have been around cancer and alcoholism and the latter is insidious as to how it totally cripples a person with very little awareness. Everyone sees it but you until everything is gone and then maybe you realize something is wrong.

18. isuforlife

isuforlife Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2007
    If Bruce V. would have handled that situation right Larry would still be coaching here

19. Cydkar

Cydkar Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Uhmm, his last 2 years we sucked. If that would have continued he would not still be here.

20. Billups06

Billups06 Member

Apr 18, 2006
    I don't want to get into or start this debate, but Stinson, Blalock etc were coming in his next year. I would be thrilled to still have Larry here.