Gill hired

Discussion in 'Football' started by acoustimac, Dec 15, 2011.

1. acoustimac

acoustimac Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Associate Professor
    Lamoni, IA
  2. Clones21

Clones21 Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Des Moines
    He should of went on to be a coordinator some where.

3. CycloneWarning

CycloneWarning Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Tend to agree. Couple years as a coordinator and he would have gotten picked back up by a MAC school for HC. If he struggles at this little crappy school, he may be kissing his career goodbye.

Course, it is not like he needs the money. Maybe he wants to take a step back and work at a school with much less pressure.

4. BleedCycloneRed

Sep 1, 2009
    Construction Management
    Chicago, IL
    Liberty is also a school with a strong religious message, which I think ties in with Gill's thinking. They may been a major impedus for his going there. Leslie Frazier got his start at Trinity College in Lincolnshire, IL. Similar situation (although Frazier had not be recently fired).

5. Drive4cy

Drive4cy Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Great hire for Liberty.

6. trajanJ

trajanJ Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2008
    He doesn't have that skill. He's never been a coordinator at any level. This is actually a great job for him. A very religious school like this might attract players that will believe in his message.

7. TRZA

TRZA Active Member

He is one of the best head coaches in college football today. Don't be surprised if some big name programs start calling him in a few months.

8. GoSTATE71

GoSTATE71 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2008
    LOL because of all that success in a BCS conference right?

9. ManofCyience

ManofCyience Active Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Ames
    So after his 5-19 record at Kansas, this means that Liberty will win the National Championship in two years :jimlad:

10. Tredici

Tredici Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Electrical Engineer
    Chicago
    People give the guy too much hate for his 5-19 record. I can see Kansas program struggle for years to come with or without him.

11. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009

Nice analogy to the Les Frazier at Trinity situation. It could be just a starting point for him that could lead to other things. The difference is that Trinity is fairly small-scale (never having played even a Division IA team in anything) and Liberty has a big-time athletic program and can actually compete with Division I schools in football, basketball, and especially baseball. Liberty could be a destination job.

12. ISpyCy

ISpyCy Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Male
    Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
    Part of what drew Liberty to hire Gill was his religious beliefs. I think this is a good hire for him, but also think that Kansas let him go too quickly. Sure, he wasn't having much success within his two year tenure, but it takes time to turn a team around...not to mention it was fun beating up on his Jayhawks while we could.

Best of luck to him; I think this will be a more rewarding venture for him.

13. ItsCyence

ItsCyence Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Brookings, SD
    I think he can succeed at this school. Hope it happens.

14. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Male
    Advertising sales
    Ankeny
    Hell, its not like he even did wonders at buffalo. He had one decent season where he squeaked out an 7-5 season against a MAC schedule (3 wins in OT, another by 2 pts), and then regressed back to 5-7 in 09.

I never understood the huge love for the guy. I mean, sure, after that 8 win season maybe you go 'ok, maybe he deserves a shot somewhere'... but the love some had for him was way over the top.

15. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Male
    Advertising sales
    Ankeny
    It wasnt just that they were bad... it was that they were epically bad and showed no signs of life. 1-16 against conference, with that lone win coming against a colorado program that was its own disaster, will not help you at all. It wasnt just that they lost, it was that they lost tremendously. They had a good streak of games where teams were hanging 40, 50, 60, even 70 points on them.