Giddy For Snow

Discussion in 'CF Archive Bin' started by alaskaguy, Nov 8, 2007.

1. alaskaguy

alaskaguy Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Anybody else get excited about snow?

I've lived in every type of climate imaginable, but really enjoy x-country sking and snowmachining.

We don't have a road system up here so in the summer the only way to travel is by plane. Four wheelers are worth a crap on the tundra.

During the winter, enough snow and one can travel anyplace by snowmachine. Heck, during the winter routes are staked and you feel like you are on a highway when traveling by snowmachine.

Just have to express my enthusiasm for all the snow we are having today!

2. keepngoal

keepngoal Jobless Jerk
    Staff Member

Jun 20, 2006
    what is snowmachining? is that snowmobiling?

-keep.

3. SuperCy

SuperCy Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Superhero. Founding memb
    Smallville/Metropolis
    What are you doing out of your cave?

4. alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
    Lower 48: snowmobiling
    Alaska: snowmaching
    Eskimo Villages: Snow-go's

5. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    My boys are getting up every morning asking for snow so they can go out and play in it. My guess is since I am in the market for a new snowblower, it will probably not snow much at all this winter.

6. 06_CY

06_CY Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    The only time I want snow is when I go skiing, but I dont see that happening this winter.

7. mwitt

mwitt Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    I think snow sucks.

8. ISUFan22

ISUFan22 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Healthcare IT Project Manager
    Denver, CO
    Someday, we're going to get a blizzard game in Ames. Close to a foot of snow on the ground before the game and at kickoff it starts snowing like mad. Fans basically have to dig their way into their seats, ala Patriot and Bill fans.

And on that day, I will be very, very happy. And then, I most likely won't want it to happen again for another 10 years.

But I've never been at one of those nasty snow games and I want to badly. One of the best stories I've heard is about an ISU-CU game in Ames years ago. Good times.

Methinks we won't be seeing snow this weekend though...with 60 degree weather and all.

9. cybsball20

cybsball20 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Financial Analyst
    Des Moines, IA
    I agree... I can't drive in it, already totaled my mustang after my second wreck in the crap... I can barely even walk in the stuff, cracked my tailbone my senior year the first snow on my way to weights at 5 am, aparantly they don't clear snow untill 6.

10. cloneu

cloneu Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Financial Analyst
    Urbandale
    I don't mind having a couple of inches from around Nov. 20 to Jan 5. Then it can get to be about 40 and no snow.

11. mwitt

mwitt Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Was it about 15 years ago or so? My parents always tell me a story about going to a game against, I believe, Colorado, where it was snowing badly and so windy that little mwitt couldn't walk up the hill to the concourse without being blown over.

12. alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
    Tradeoffs

During the summer I have to mow the lawn

During the winter I have to shovel snow

I spend a lot more time mowing the lawn than shoveling snow.

13. 06_CY

06_CY Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Why would you be driving your Mustang in the snow anyways?

My buddy from Cali saw snow for the first time when he came to ISU. He walked outside Maple and fell on his ***; he turned around and went back inside, skipping all classes for the day.

14. alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
    Snow means no dust, snowmachining, ice fishing, snow boarding, dog sledding, x-cross country and down hill sking, hot chocolate, and hot toddies.

15. cybsball20

cybsball20 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Financial Analyst
    Des Moines, IA
    Moved up from Florida, it was my only car, have to get around some way...

16. mwitt

mwitt Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    All else being equal, you'd be right. But girls don't wear skirts in the winter.

17. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Sterling Heights, MI
    I'm going to be very mildly depressed until the first snow falls around here. It's due to the lack of daylight I get, and it just happens to me this time of year. Of course, if the climatologists are to be believed, it's going to be too warm in Iowa to snow this year or ever again so I may just be SOL for the rest of my life :wacko:

18. CloneCubbie

CloneCubbie Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Progressive Ins
    Gods Country (Ames), Iowa
    I would LOVE a snow game... I was hoping that this Saturday would be the one, just so we could all talk about that Colorado snow game from years past. Alas, with a high of 62 predicted... I don't think we're going to see any flakes. :no:

19. mike4cy

mike4cy Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Urbandale
    Snow looks best in someone else's yard, on under a globe made of glass.

20. superfan

superfan Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2006
    AST, GN&C
    League City, TX
    I left for Texas a week before the first snow last year. Every day of winter without snow I died a little inside. Northwest side of H-town got some, but never got down to my part of town. I think it was two years ago Galveston got their first snow in over a hundred years.

Why can't there be global cooling?