getting away game tickets

Discussion in 'Football' started by isubeatle, Jan 11, 2010.

1. isubeatle

isubeatle Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Web Designer
    Des Moines
    In Oct. my wife and i are going to try to go watch the football team in either Austin for the TX game, or Norman for the OU game. We'd prefer to go to Austin, but we'll take either one.

Since both are big name schools with lots of fans etc, how tough will it be to get tickets for those? How many tickets do they give ISU to sell to fans? We're going to also be going with my wife's parents and 2 other friends of ours, so 6 tix total.

thx

2. Cyrocks

Cyrocks Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I don't have the slightest clue on how to get the tickets, but you, sir, have my admiration for making the road trip to either one of those places. You and your wife are a great Cyclone fans.

3. Drive4cy

Drive4cy Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2006
    You won't have a problem finding scalpers outside of both venues. The fans don't get ultra excited for Iowa State coming to town so the prices aren't bad, either. In my experience going to Big 12 south venues I've always had sat well for barely over face.

You can always try stubhub, too but their always a little higher than it will be on gameday outside the stadium.

4. JRE1975

JRE1975 Active Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Lakewood Ranch, FL
    If you want to sit with Cyclone people get the tickets in the corner of the stadium from ISU ticket office. We do not sell out our allotment in most cases, so you will not have trouble getting tickets.

Next summer just call the ticket office. If you are in the NCC you for sure will not have any issues.

Both Austin and Norman are good trips, you will see what we all want ISU to be like!

5. Al_4_State

Al_4_State Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Driftless Region
    Going through the ISU allotment is a good way. Get after it early.

A few of us are going to CU next fall. It will be my 7th Big 12 stadium (JTS, Faurot, Snyder, Memorial (Lincoln), Floyd Casey, Kyle). Going for all 12.

6. Cyrocks

Cyrocks Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Never been to Memorial, but been to K-State, Kansas and Mizzou. A road trip to Colorado would be great. My buddies and I are talking about taking the train out.

Mizzou is okay. Was not impressed with K-State or Kansas (maybe because ISU lost).

7. DRCHIRO

DRCHIRO Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2008
    Went to Austin last time we played there and am planning to go back this fall. We got tickets through ISU.

8. Al_4_State

Mar 27, 2006
    Driftless Region
    Agree on Mizzou. Decent stadium, decent fans.

K-State still has wooden bleachers. We tailgated in a sheep pasture, but the fans were pretty nice, and they liked to party.

Lincoln is a gorgeous stadium, but there is no party, and Nebraskans are stuck in the mid-90's in a lot of ways (not talking about football either. Fanny packs as far as the eye could see). Nice people.

Floyd-Casey is beyond pathetic. The stadium itself is ok, but the atmosphere, before and during the game is just pathetic. No other word for it at all.

Kyle Field is a sight, and 90% of the people are incredibly nice, friendly, and FUN. But the 10% who don't fall into that category are absolutely insane, in a very weird way. Not so much mean as incredibly uptight. We almost got thrown out of the game because one of the guys in our group let an F-Bomb fly when Tiller overthrew Williams. GREAT time otherwise.

9. tejasclone

tejasclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Technical Writer
    Austin, TX
    I would love to see DKR full of Clone fans! Obviously that football stadium is a monolith to the football gods and the campus is beautiful, but the tailgating scene is weak. You are surrounded by interstate and parking garages.

10. aeroclone

aeroclone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2006
    I've gone several routes for road games in the past. I have gotten tickets on stubhub. I usually figure out where the visitors section is and try to buy something close to there. Sometimes you can even get the same section on stubhub.

I have also purchased directly through ISU. This is a pretty good option as well. You get seated with other ISU fans and only pay face value. For OU or UT I think this would be a good way to go.

I've also purchased through the opposing school. With OU or UT I don't know if this would be possible or if they would be sold out to donors and season ticket holders, but I did that for Mizzou this year, they had something like 4 tickets for $100 total in their end zone right next to the ISU section. It was a great deal.

11. isubeatle

isubeatle Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Web Designer
    Des Moines
    thx for the info guys. My in-laws live in Dallas now so i've been wanting to go see a football game down there for a while now. Austin and Norman are both about 3hrs from Dallas so we'll fly in to Dallas and then drive from there. i can't do car rides over 3 hrs, so there's no way i'd drive all the way to Austin from Des Moines.

12. terryk

terryk Active Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Self employed contractor
    Grimes
    Rember to bring this up during ticket renewal

for 2010. I would be willing to use my donor level to help you out.

13. swiacy

swiacy Active Member

Apr 9, 2009
    I have been to all Big 12 North except CU. Tix are not a problem. My son went to OU, said the whole stadium stood on the seats ahead of them the whold game. Am curious if that is the case. The times I have been at Big Red, we were either getting walked over or we were winning in a shocker, so keep that in mind. But their fan base is older than the normal fan base and were not very energized. But was probably due to the nature of the game.

14. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Advertising sales
    Ankeny
    Id like to hit up OU or Colorado next year. Been to TAMU, UT, MU, KU for games, and to NU and TT for other events. Havent been to KSU, CU, Baylor, OSU, or OU

15. terryk

terryk Active Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Self employed contractor
    Grimes
    alarson

maybe the boss will win a door prize and buy you tickets for those games. :))

16. superfan

superfan Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2006
    AST, GN&C
    League City, TX
    You shouldn't have any problem finding tickets to either game. The only time I ever even heard of ISU selling out its allotment was at Toledo (or at Iowa, of course). As others have said, if you want to be sure of being in the visitor's section, go through the ISU ticket office. However, since both games are pretty far from Ames in big stadiums, sometimes you can get a better deal going through the home team or through StubHub. Beware, ticket prices (especially at OU) are obscene - borderline NFL prices.

Example - last year for A&M, we hesitated on buying tickets through ISU. Best seats we could find through A&M were waaaaaaay upper deck. About a month or two before the game, ISU released its tickets back to A&M, all of a sudden we found 1st-level seats. Had we gone through ISU, probably would have been in the nosebleeds because of our donor level.

Both the Longhorn and Sooner fans were very gracious, particularly the Texas fans. Southern hospitality is great. Unless you're being rowdy or profane (I'm looking at you, Al - lucky R.C. Slocum didn't kick your *** :wink:) I doubt you'll run in to any problems.

For reference, 4 years ago the "visitors" section was in the vicinity of sections 8-13. It sounds like that's changed after the remodel and the visitors are now in section 32. If you don't go through ISU, just call the UT ticket office and ask them where the visitors section is. Parking around Austin sucks though, so be prepared to either come early if you want to tailgate or you might get stuck in a parking garage or on the shoulder of a street.

[​IMG]

Visitor's sections at Oklahoma are sections 35 and 36.

[​IMG]

Parking was better at OU (granted, we got in town at 5 a.m. - ugh) there's some small paid lots around the stadium. There is parking at Noble Arena (bball stadium) for free with a shuttle to the stadium. Be forewarned - traffic in Norman is horrible. Bunch of two-lane streets that are jammed post-game.

Have fun! Hope to see you around at the Texas game!

17. Al_4_State

Mar 27, 2006
    Driftless Region
    Well, the crazy part was that the folks we were tailgating with, whom were A&M fans had been just as profane. It wasn't anything over the top either. But I guess Mr. Slocum does not "use that kind of language in front of women".