Garage door opener ?'s

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cytech, Mar 9, 2008.

1. cytech

cytech Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Hiawatha, Iowa
    So had a 20 year old garage door opener crap out on me last night. Would like some recommendations if anyone has any. The door is 16 foot wide and 9 ft tall current opener is back 11 ft from the door. Also can I replace it myself or am I going to need to find a hand.
    I have installed one a long time ago but I had a hand with that one, I know it is pretty easy just not sure if I can do it on my own.

2. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member Bookie

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    I had mine crap out a few years back. It was cheap and quick to just hire it out. I think we got new springs, a new opener, exterior keypad, everything for under $400. Plus it was all done in a day.

3. twittkop

twittkop Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Sr Software Engineer
    Marion, IA
    Call Dan's Overhead Doors in North Liberty. We moved into a new house that didn't have a garage door opener, less than a year ago. They install a single piece rail and the operator we got has a lifetime warranty on the motor. I think it was around $400 for the operator, keypad and installation.

4. cytech

cytech Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Hiawatha, Iowa
    Bah I am a do it yourselfer I don't need to have someone do it for me. I was just hoping for some tips on installation by myself.

5. CyPlainsDrifter

CyPlainsDrifter Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    I have done a few and always alone. It's not that bad. Just read the directions and think ahead. It will go fine.

6. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    You can also replace the bottom panel of the garage door for about $300 if someone you know and respect tries to rip it off...

7. BCforISU

BCforISU Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Madison, WI
    I installed one last year with my buddy helping me out. They are really easy to install anymore, plus you should pretty much have all the mounts already from the old one. I got one from menards for under $200. Took us a couple hours to get it up and running, I went with the screw drive, much quieter than the chain style. I am a do it yourself type, I have put two in, one for me, one for my buddy, nothing to it. Always nice to have help, at least they can hand you a beer if nothing else. Good Luck!

8. cytech

cytech Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Hiawatha, Iowa
    Yeah I did one with help before too, so I know pretty much how it goes. I just got the old one taken down kinda messy but got it done. I went ahead with the chain drive again because I don't really care how loud it is. Plus the guy at lowes says they don't sell many of them. And I figured since the last one was a chamberlain that it might be easier to go with a chamberlain again since most of the remotes will still work.

9. BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
    Madison, WI
    good enough, they all work the same. How old is your shorthair?

10. kinda personal to ask about a guys manscaping habits dont yah think? :wink:

11. cytech

cytech Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Hiawatha, Iowa
    The picture is old she is 13 months old now and still more then a handful. She wants to help out with the opener but is proving to be more of a distraction.

12. BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
    Madison, WI
    they only get better, I can't wait to get another one. The one on mine is my dad's, he is only 5 months now, but I want to find a solid liver female next may, but looks like I will have to buy from west coast area. good luck with the opener.

13. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    Make sure to use a ladder.:smile:

14. cytech

cytech Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Hiawatha, Iowa
    If you don't mind coming this way to get one the breeder I got mine from has great dogs. My dogs mom is a champion show dog as are alot of her off spring( I am not into that type of thing) and the dad is a master hunter.

15. BCforISU

Feb 17, 2008
    Madison, WI
    do they have solid liver pups ever? guess I can't tell if yours is or not, I have agents in your area so I am there quite a bit, may be an option.

16. cytech

cytech Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Hiawatha, Iowa
    Mine is solid liver and roan except for a silver tipped tail. The mom is solid liver and roan and the dad is white. But there was 3 liver and roan pups when I got mine. I got my pup end of feb last year so I would guess he probably just went through a litter.