Game worn I State helmets

Discussion in 'Football' started by Me State, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Me State

Me State Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2007
  2. 1100011CS

1100011CS Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Marshalltown
    I don't understand this:
    Why?

3. RayShimley

RayShimley Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Post-doc Fellow
    Stillwater, MN
    $250.00. I'll just wait for the next logo change and pick them up at the AD thrift sale for 90$!

4. Tedcyclone

Tedcyclone Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    vegas hedge fund
    West Des Moines

i had the same question. that doesnt make any sense. so the rest of the helmet is as is, but they replaced the logo with a new one? not so authentic anymore.

5. everyyard

everyyard Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Male
    I am sure they are game used, but most recently probably were practice helmets...hence no decals.

6. 19210

19210 Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Does this mean we might be tweaking our helmets this year or just trying to get rid of some of the more battle tested helmets to get newer ones.

I just think the helmet is missing something and is kind of blah. I know don't start a uniform thread!

7. hawkeyeh8r

hawkeyeh8r Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Ames
    i think the athletes sold them to cys locker room in order to make some quick cash. seem like the USC/tOSU syndrome has hit ames iowa

8. cybsball20

cybsball20 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Financial Analyst
    Des Moines, IA
    I'm pretty sure they put new decals on each week any way, don't they? This would explain a new decal on the helmet.

9. everyyard

everyyard Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Male
    no, they don't. I am telling you. they were likely game worn a few seasons back but recently have been practice helmets. Now, the gamers move to practice helmets, new gamers are ordered, and practice helmets get new decals and are sold. Happens all the time. UofI ALWAYS has helmets of this type on ebay.

10. Tedcyclone

Tedcyclone Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    vegas hedge fund
    West Des Moines

nah, i think im on board with the practice helmet story.

11. Clonefan94

Clonefan94 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Graphic Designer
    Schaumburg, IL
    There was a recent study that came out, I can't find it anywhere now, but heard about it on local radio here in Chicago a few months back, about the safety of certain helmets in the league. Some of them were rated very poorly and they were the favorite helmets of NFL and college players. At least one even received a "not recommended." I wonder if a mass selling off of helmets has anything to do with this.

12. IST8CIVILENGR

IST8CIVILENGR Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Civil Engineer
    Pittsburg, KS
    $ 250.00 ... Wow thanks Cy's Lockerroom for gouging anyone and everyone you can... I will just continue with my helmet project on
    http://helmethead2.zoovy.com/
    They have game used and they also have a great collection of replica ridell and schutt helmets for 1/2 that price!!!

13. IST8CIVILENGR

IST8CIVILENGR Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Civil Engineer
    Pittsburg, KS
    Look what you did ... I thought that the White Stripe on the Secondaries helmets at the Spring game were pretty B.A.! Would be sweet to see a little tweak and please more games with the Gold Jersey's = Possibility of All Gold Uni

14. hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
    Ames
    an all gold uni would look awful....even our current ones look better than those would

15. I'll never understand this. The university can sell a game worn item. But if the university gives (aka: transfers possession to) the athlete the same item and the athlete sells it while he's still a student, then the player is ineligible...yeah, there's nothing wrong with that?

16. hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
    Ames
    y its hypocrisy at its finest. an athlete can sell anything else they own so why not their jersies/helmets/etc? if the university gives it to them, its legally theirs and they should be able to choose what they do with it

17. cyclonefan59

cyclonefan59 Member

Jul 3, 2006
    retired
    Clarksville, Tn
    you guys ever think this is a way to help out out the football program??? or do you just like to complain??

18. isufbcurt

isufbcurt Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Male
    CPA
    Newton

Yes they would come through the locker room every Thursday night before the game shine the helmet and redecal it.

I know this because every Thursday I would take the stickers off my helmet so I would get new ones.

Also, to the poster who said these are probably practice helmets.. ISU uses the same helmet for both games and practice.

19. wesley_w

wesley_w Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2006
    Ames, Iowa
    A few years ago I built a home office in my basement and wanted a helmet to put in there. I wanted to just buy one from the athletic department and even talked to Jamie Pollard and he said they couldn't sell them because of liability issues. But he even referred me to one of the university lawyers in Beardshear and she told me the same thing. And I even seem to remember hearing they even cut them in half when they were done being useful.
    Curt, did you get to keep your helmet after your senior season because way back when I don't think the players even got to keep their own.

20. isufbcurt

isufbcurt Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Male
    CPA
    Newton
    Yes my helmet is up on my fireplace mantle between my 2 framed Bowl game jerseys