Game Balls, Surprises, and After Practice Sprints

Discussion in 'Football' started by Enginerd, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Enginerd

Enginerd Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Game Balls:

Offense
    A-Rob - Nice game. Ran like he stole the ball every play. I overlook the fumble because it was a hit that will knock the ball out 99% of the time.

Defense
    David Sims - A bright spot.

Surprises:

Both lines did better than I anticipated.

Wind Sprints:

Offense
    AA - Forget the game and move on.

Defense
    Kennard Banks - Getting picked on by the Hogeyes is not a good sign for some of the offenses and QB's you will be facing in the Big 12.

Jesse Smith - Did you play?

2. twojman

twojman Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Being awesome
    Clive
    Banks was ill...

3. jbhtexas

jbhtexas Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Arlington, TX
    Wind Sprints: Offensive coaching staff for not adjusting to what the defense was giving. Robinson averaged over 5 yds/carry and only got 19 touches out of over 60 offensive plays. In the meantime, the passing game averaged a whopping 3.6 yds/attempt on 31 attempts, not to mention the 5 INTs. AA did get some nice runs out of the passing game, but still...

4. Chipper

Chipper Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Really calling out Jesse Smith when he's the one Cyclone name we hear called all day...

5. Drive4cy

Drive4cy Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Defense surpassed my expectations today with the exception of Banks. It was a miracle to only be down 14-3 at half with Arnaud's performance.

6. twojman

twojman Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Being awesome
    Clive
    Agreed, he may not be very fast but he plays his heart out.

7. ISU_Alum_2000

ISU_Alum_2000 All-Star

Oct 21, 2006
    Aliso Viejo, CA
    I thought Jesse Smith played well. He was moving pretty well in pass coverage, and broke up a couple passes to Moaki.

Jesse Smith, or anyone else on the Defense, was not the reason for the outcome today.

8. CRCy17

CRCy17 Active Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    There were at least a couple times in the first half where Banks was beaten but Stanzi overthrew the receivers, We could have been down even more earlier

9. Skyh13

Skyh13 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Yes, but on that same token, if Arnaud didn't have one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a QB, things would've been quite a bit different as well.

10. RossHallHero

RossHallHero Active Member

Jul 8, 2009

But in most cases, Arnaud wasn't missing receivers, they just weren't open to begin with but he insisted on throwing it to them.

Big difference there.

11. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    He looked to be throwing to places they were suppose to be in a perfect game but they were getting bumped and covered and not at the place they should be. He didnt adjust to the game when throwing the crossing routes. Iowa did a good job at getting physical with out WRs and taking away the passing lanes. AA forgot it wasnt practice and things that happen in games to WRs happened.

12. RossHallHero

RossHallHero Active Member

Jul 8, 2009

I agree with most of that, but I wasn't thrilled w/our receivers in a couple instances where they didn't seem to be fighting enough, but it's probably just the beer talking.

13. lovetheclones

lovetheclones Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Enginerd,

How are you calling out Jesse Smith asking if he played? Have you lost your dang mind? Sorry to break your heart, but we would have no D if Jesse was not on the field.

14. cycloner29

cycloner29 Active Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Male
    Marketing
    Ames
    Hard for the defense when they were on the field a lot yesterday. I thought they played well in the first half. Smith was making a lot of plays. As warm as it got, and with the D on the field a lot, you would have to think that we just worn down.

15. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Oh. I thought that name was pronounced "Day-vid Sims". :confused:

16. swammi

swammi Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    Retired
    Apollo Beach, Florida
    Special recognition to Lyle and Garrin on the weak side of the D. NDSU blocked them well and just took them out. Iowa tried the same and they both rose to the challenge and played great. The Hawks gave up on the weak side early.

17. ketelmeister

ketelmeister Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2006
    is that why he threw the player down out of bounds?

18. ISUFan22

ISUFan22 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Healthcare IT Project Manager
    Denver, CO
    Banks is hurt so I'll go easy on him. But that penalty was very, very stupid and a killer.

As far as Jesse Smith - what gives? Everyone expected Moo-yaki to have a huge day, as did I. He didn't. A lot of that credit goes to the linebackers and I saw Jesse on him more than just the one play he broke up.