For those with a higher basketball IQ

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by cytheguy, Mar 9, 2011.

1. cytheguy

cytheguy Well-Known Member

May 23, 2006
    Why, with 15-20 seconds left and only down by 2, did we rush two shots (missing both)? Why didn't we let the clock run down and set up a better shot than two desperation shots? Had we made either shot, we would've given Colorado plenty of time. I just don't get it.

2. cyclonepower

cyclonepower Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2006
    WDM
    how about scotty's 3 before the end of the half?

3. Tre4ISU

Tre4ISU Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    Good question. I believe that shot by JVB was the set up shot. He shouldn't have taken it, but I think the intention was to get him that shot. I think in that situation, you take the first available good shot, 2 or 3. It came down to a poor decision by JVB IMO, not coaching. If you waste time, then if you still don't make a shot you are that much further in a hole.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rhoadhoused

Rhoadhoused Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Student
    Ames, IA
    You answered your own question. We take a shot early and we get a chance to get another shot.

If we let the clock run down there is no second shot.

Both of those could've easily gone in. JVBs was a little suspect but he put a pretty good stroke on it and if it rolls the other way of the board we would've gone up 1.

5. cycfan1

cycfan1 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Student
    Ames
    As the 12th place team in the Big 12 - you take a 3 at the buzzer to win it.

Not saying I would trust this team to set up that kind of play at the end, as our end of game plays seem to fall apart.

6. acgclone

acgclone Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Because we don't have anyone that is CLUTCH, and we have a rookie coach.

7. CycloneWanderer

CycloneWanderer Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Male
    Leadership Development
    Wandering
    Take the first good shot you can get. He got off a good shot, just left it a hair short and still nearly got the bounce.

8. isudizzle13

isudizzle13 Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Civil Engineer
    Mankato, Minnesota
    +1

Nailed it here. The play design was to get Jamie on the 3. He shouldn't have taken it and reset the offense (coach will usually provide second option if play wasn't there).