For those freaking out about DL recruiting

Discussion in 'Football' started by ChrisMWilliams, Feb 2, 2011.

1. ChrisMWilliams

ChrisMWilliams Publisher
    Staff Member Bookie

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Hack Blogger
    Bondurant, Iowa
    I am working on transcribing CPR quotes from today and I thought that this one was worth posting. I see so many people worry about numbers at each position. I think that this is a good example of the need to trust the men (or women) in place to do their jobs. Here's what Coach Rhoads had to say about numbers by position in the 2011 class.

“We establish numbers and needs at every single position group. It is very systematic.” ---

“As we look at the numbers that we currently have on scholarship at the close of the 2010 season or about a year and a half before when we know what they are going to be, we start to assess what our needs are and how many at each position we want. Then we identify them and evaluate them and secure them. That’s where we ended up with this class. We are very close to all of those numbers at every position. Some people might panic saying ‘you’re low here or you’re high here.’ In truth, we are about right on the money with the numbers we want at every position group.”

2. gocubs2118

gocubs2118 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Student
    Illinois
    You're telling me armchair coaches on message boards don't know more about recruiting than the coaching staff? Shocker :jimlad:

3. CYCLNST8

CYCLNST8 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Male
    Urbandale
    We're freaking out about production; not numbers. It'd be nice to bring in a high school senior with some impressive stats as opposed to a juco or moving a DE inside. Cyclone fans are dying to see some more quarterback pressure.

That being said, I am cautiously optimistic about this season's squad. We've seen flashes.

4. Cyclonestate78

Cyclonestate78 Well-Known Member

May 23, 2008
    I trust CPR. End of story.

5. d4nim4l

d4nim4l Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Analyst
    West Des Moines, IA
    We'll see what Nelson brings to the table this year but what we have seen for penetration from our DTs has been constant improvement. Rump from 2009 to 2010 definitely developed and McDonough progressed as the season wore on. If the guys we have are developed right, and force teams to double team anyone other than our inside guys, then things will change pretty quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  6. snowcraig2.0

snowcraig2.0 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Male
    Engineer
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Just to play devil's advocate, what else is Rhoads going to say? That we really wanted some DT but we missed out on all of them?

7. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    No, how about that we really wanted some DT's but they missed out on the Cyclone Express.

They'll regret it later.

8. Rhoadhoused

Rhoadhoused Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Student
    Ames, IA
    They have even had numbers on how many players they want at each position NEXT YEAR. I'm sure we wanted on of those DTs but we are obviously not in a situation where we can't just take one more DT next year. It is a non issue.

9. kcclones

kcclones Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Male
    Sales
    Kansas City
    coach is a great man and i trust him but also believe he is only going to say positive things in a presser. we won't see how much it will hurt this year is a couple years down the road

10. ajk4st8

ajk4st8 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Ankeny
    Why dont people freak out about how pathetic the offense is?

That is the story line here folks.

Id love to see the offensive scoring totals last year when you take the 5 defensive/special teams TDs out of the equation.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cyhart

Cyhart Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Des Moines
    I'm not freaking out by any means. But i'd feel a bit better about those quotes if it wasnt for Louvan Green. We tried to get a DT and lost him to a lowly Mt West team at the last second.
    If its so systematic, then we were trying for a DT for a reason.
    But, im certainly not freaking out. I like this class.

12. UNIGuy4Cy

UNIGuy4Cy Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Accountant
    Polk City
    What he said, QB and WR play over the last two years had been average at best.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Omaha Cy

Omaha Cy Well-Known Member

Who is on the 2012 D-line at the moment?
    Rony Nelson, and Jake McDonough come to mind immediately. Who else has playing time under their belts that would be in this group?
    Knott, Klein will be seniors in 2012 as well.

All that aside, I feel the defense this fall is going to be pretty salty and surprise a lot of people.

14. Stormin

Stormin Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    People freaking out obviously don't remember how bad things were when we started true Freshman Matt Scherbring, at DT. We were notoriously thin at DT back then. I think we only had 4 on the entire roster IIRC.

15. theyork

theyork Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Artist in residence
    hedgesville, wv
    did you trust the chiz too?

16. Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
    To compare the two of them is silly. One guy loves ISU and the other guy never gave a **** about ISU.

17. CYcoFan

CYcoFan Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Ames

Really Chris?

Everything I have read calls for an upgrade at D-Line, it doesn't really get into numbers......

Your post does nothing to address the lack of production from the D-Line and quite frankly CPR's quotes don't address the production of the D-Line they just address the numbers. Thanks for playin.

18. Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
    No reason to be a ****.

19. mt85

mt85 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    I commend the effort Chris, but I fear this thread will evolve into the same cast of characters rehashing their fears for what seems like the 10,000th time.

20. ISUAgronomist

ISUAgronomist Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Ag Research
    Close Enough, IA
    Ever think that offensive 3 and outs hurt the defense because we sure had a lot of those.