First Preseason College Magazine!

Discussion in 'Football' started by CLONEing around, May 23, 2011.

1. CLONEing around

Oct 14, 2007
    Ames
    The Athlon preseason mag is now on sale at Barnes and Noble in DSM. They have us going 4-8 (2-7) and finishing 8th in the conference.

2. vortex

vortex Active Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Probably not too far off. I'm thinking 5-7 is possible.

3. Sloup

Sloup Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Ames, IA
    Now I don't have to buy it!

4. CLONEing around

Oct 14, 2007
    Ames

I always hold out for Phil Steele's magazine anyway.

5. At 2-7 who else besides Kansas would be behind the Clones?
    I'm assuming it might be KSU...

6. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

I used to buy all the college football magazines that I could get my hands on. The first one I quit buying was Athlon. They seem to know next to nothing about the real teams, and their reviews, at best, read like a compilation of 6 month old newspaper articles.

7. temperflare

temperflare Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Insurance Industry
    Bondurant
    When I saw the first magazine was Athlon I wasn't surprised and for the exact reasons you describe above.

However, being "first" means a lot of football-starved people fall over each other trying to get to it. IMO, that is probably the ONLY reason that magazine sells.

Like a previous poster said, I wait for Phil Steele's magazine.

8. cyfanatic

cyfanatic Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    That was my first question when I read the OP...

9. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Yeah. And it's too bad there isn't anything decent.

Too bad that Blue Ribbon doesn't do a football book, too. At least, the Blue Ribbon of a few years ago.

The Sporting News annual used to be better before they were bought out by Street & Smith's--which I realized about high school was about Athlon level--if that.

As far as Athlon's prediction--it probably went to press even before Spring ball, so you can't expect a lot. They're just trying to get that early slice of the market.

10. Go2Guy

Go2Guy Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Chemical Engineer
    Houston, TX
    Did it mention anything about why we should drop Iowa from the schedule?:jimlad:

11. Senolcyc

Senolcyc Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010

One can deduce that they think ISU will win at UConn. So that's a small positive.

Phil Steele is the one pre-season mag still worth the money. Just an orgy of data.

12. I don't feel like I get much out of Steele's mag once I wander outside the Big 12.

Then its a bunch of faceless names and what they did 3-5 years ago. I'll bet Brett Myer will be name dropped from at least his senior season stats...as Steele reigns in his next write up using a lot of the same material he published last year, and the year before, and probably the year before that.

I like the effort, and stats, and such but its a bunch of fluff. Its nearly painful reading for me for more than about 1 or 2 team reviews. Kudos to them for what they do, but I guess the allure of all that stat happy stuff from Steele has worn off for me.

There, I put it in writing.

13. ajk4st8

ajk4st8 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Ankeny
    4-8 would be ok. I would settle for that. 6 wins would be amazing with next years O. I am so freaking pumped for FB to start!