Fed up with US Cellular!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by stormchaser2014, Nov 15, 2013.

1. stormchaser2014

stormchaser2014 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Anyone with US Cellular has probably been angry at them the last few months. First they screw up billing for August so no one has to pay. Then they start changing everyone's due dates. In October they charged me for August plus October, then the August charge disappeared. Now it's back on my November bill plus a "Restore from Suspension" fee for my phone being turned off for about 6 hours. So now I have a $200 phone bill with a different due date again in December.

With all the money they are making and some markets being bought out by Sprint, I think they should have just let August slide since it was their fault anyway.

Seriously considering switching, but US Cellular is the cheapest for me since it's just a single line.

[HR][/HR]Concerned Third Party

2. CarlHungus

CarlHungus Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Mortgage
    Ankeny
    Switched from them last month and very happy I made the decision

3. cmjh10

cmjh10 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Iowa Falls
    Three words

Ver-I-Zon

4. CySmitty

CySmitty Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Mechanical Engineer
    Longmont, CO
    What do you pay for page plus? There are a bunch of MNVO out there that can beat them. Page plus, Airvoice, Ptel

5. NATEizKING

NATEizKING Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Hilton
    Anywhere else that can beat $50 a month with 5GB data?

6. Goldfinger

Goldfinger Member

Nov 5, 2009
    I went in earlier this week and talked to them about all the problems. They said it was related to switching all the lines over to 4G. they told me we (northeast Iowa) would go 4G on Friday the 15th. So far nothing I've seen today is 4G. They did give me a year early upgrade on a new phone, went Moto X

7. cdekovic

cdekovic Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Ames
    The reason they had the billing snafu is because of their switch to provide Apple's iPhones. Apple required the switch to move up to their security standards. Needless to say the conversion didn't go well. But I gotta tell you, it would take a bancruptcy for me to switch from US Cellular. Verizon is a racket IMO.

8. baller21

baller21 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    project manager
    Ames
    I have Straight Talk. It's only 3G but $45 mo. for unlimited talk\text\data.

9. cowgirl836

cowgirl836 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009

husband hasn't said anything about it being due to Apple........the billing system change has been a long time in coming and was implemented before neither the system provider nor US Cellular were ready. Which all the people working in the system (including my husband) could see months ahead of time, but unfortunately, they were not high up enough to force the conversion to be put on hold.

Cue the last eight months of 70+ hour weeks :realmad:

10. Gunnerclone

Gunnerclone Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Cheddar Production
    DSM
    Does US Cellular have pagers? Serious question. At this point in time I can't reveal why this is important.

11. SaraV

SaraV Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Having worked in health care IT previously, I was extremely surprised USCC didn't have a back-up/back out plan if the upgrade didn't work. To have a major system go down like that for that period of time is really not acceptable...but we've stayed so far.

They changed our bill due date, too, ftom the day after a payday to a day before a payday. *blech*

12. cowgirl836

cowgirl836 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    from what i know, the company building the system was on the hook for anything that went wrong and it was somewhat of a game of chicken between them and uscc ( who would be in trouble for not implementing by the deadline). well more things went wrong than the higher ups expected and the company responisble for fixing it hasnt been so great at that. again, not anything husband's group didnt see coming.

13. stormchaser2014

stormchaser2014 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Well the only one I would switch to is Sprint, Verizon sucks in my area. My best friend has Sprint and she said she loves it. Price wise they are about they same. I'm on there website now but while filling out information when buying a phone, the website freezes up when trying to enter a username.

14. CyCloned

CyCloned Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Accountant
    Robins, Iowa
    The biggest problem I have had with US Cell is the phones. They really try to force you into a data plan, and they only have a couple really junkie phones that don't required a data plan. Also, if your phone dies before your rewards period you are stuck paying $200 for a piece of crap phone and $35 to activate it. Make sure you keep your old phone!

They do have good coverage, and that is about it. Their customer service is at the Mediacom level.

15. JY07

JY07 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    DSM
    if you go w/ the newer at&t sim cards instead of t-mobile's you can get LTE

16. ArgentCy

ArgentCy Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Male
    I only have a personal data plan for a 4g hotspot. Besides all of the stupid billing problems my data usage has also almost doubled. I think they are niw counting both upload and download. At $25 for only 2 GB's and $10 for every additional GB it sucks balls. i dont have a lot of options thoug being 10 miles from any town.

17. cyhawkdmb

cyhawkdmb Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Insurance
    CB
    Suck it up! They are a great CyFan sponsor!!

18. StClone

StClone Active Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Wisconsin
    My wife runs her business through them and she has bills that should be under $125/month are running $1,100. And my car insurance had a recent convergence and did same thing until we dropped them. Had a similar problem last spring with dental/health claims; they'd say we never made co-pays and started action against us. Private companies all no Gov. agency.

19. iowa_wildcat

iowa_wildcat Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Male
    Retired
    Ames
    Love my Wine III phone and US Cellular service. Never a dropped call regardless where I travel. The billing issue was easy to solve with one stop at the Cellular office on South Duff here in Ames.

• Like Like x 1
  20. AllIowaTeams

AllIowaTeams Active Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Grimes
    I personally wouldn't go with Sprint. Not because the company is bad, but their coverage is horrible unless you're in a pretty good sized city. I would be in Granger, Bondurant, etc. and have no signal. If you spend all of your time in Des Moines or Ames then it's fine.