FCS Playoff Format VS. CFP Format

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I've always wondered why division 1 doesn't adopt the FCS format for playoffs? Obviously there is more that goes into than I know, but I feel like it could have a chance of working. Maybe its just this year that got me thinking because of the top tier teams this year being so close. Thoughts?

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I've always wondered why division 1 doesn't adopt the FCS format for playoffs? Obviously there is more that goes into than I know, but I feel like it could have a chance of working. Maybe its just this year that got me thinking because of the top tier teams this year being so close. Thoughts?

$

isu2014

May 16, 2011
Oskaloosa, IA
I want an 8 team playoff. No more, no less. You have 5 conference champions, plus 3 at large for non P5, independant, or a second conference team. This year, you could hypothetically have: Alabama, Penn State, Oklahoma, Clemson, and Washington as locks, and then add in Ohio State, Colorado and one more at large. That way, every major conference is represented AND it leaves room for a non P5 like Notre Dame or an undefeated Houston, Northern Illinois, ect. It also allows for a loaded conference to have multiple shots without shutting out another conference.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Alabama and Ohio State fans don't want to have to travel 4 times in the post-season.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I want an 8 team playoff. No more, no less. You have 5 conference champions, plus 3 at large for non P5, independant, or a second conference team. This year, you could hypothetically have: Alabama, Penn State, Oklahoma, Clemson, and Washington as locks, and then add in Ohio State, Colorado and one more at large. That way, every major conference is represented AND it leaves room for a non P5 like Notre Dame or an undefeated Houston, Northern Illinois, ect. It also allows for a loaded conference to have multiple shots without shutting out another conference.

8 conference of 10 teams

conferences based on geography and historical rivalries

yes, ND has to jump into a Midwestern conference

no more nonsense of UT/A&M not playing, WVU stuck with Oklahoma schools, etc.

or Miami playing Syracuse and Pitt instead of UF

just to bring up two examples

9 conference games, full round-robin, and 3 out of conference games

conferences can/cannot have a +1 championship game, no huge matter

just needs to be consistent across the eight of them

out-of-conference is for building your SOS and resume for seeding

restrict playing lower division teams to once per season as a tune-up

8 conference champions make the playoff

seeding based on individual and conference SOS

use existing bowls or play the first round at campus sites (like FCS)

college environments are way cooler than antiseptic professional facilities, anyways, and having a home game first round would make seeding matter A TON

after that, segues into essentially the current system

remaining teams can play bowl exhibitions as they see fit

essentially group play... 8 groups of 10... into a tournament

completely objective *who* makes it into playoff

preserves importance of out of conference for CV building/the committee to seed... but nobody can gripe about being left out entirely... everybody controls their own fate

everybody else can just do what they want for a postseason

this would be in the spirit of FCS' conferences (compact) and playoff system

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Because it would take away from the Bowls, and there is so much money in the bowls right now. I would love to have a 16 team playoff where each conference champ and 6 at-larges are in, but I also know its likely to never happen.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
No way any of the little guys would ever have the depth to win a 16 or 24 team playoff

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
8 team playoff is the way to go. Each P5 conference champ gets in, if there's a high enough ranked G5 school, include them. And then two at larges (and hopefully not from the same conference). The first round kicks off bowl season, semi finals on New Year's like they are now, and then the championship is played when it is now. I don't see how this would be so hard

• Agree
Reactions: ZB4CY

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Bowls. As an ISU fan I don't want the playoff to grow beyond 8. ISU isn't ever getting in to the playoffs. But ISU can aspire to a decent bowl every now and then.

Same here. As a player I loved the bowl experience, it was a 1 game reward for a good season. A playoff would be XX number of weeks to grind without the fun (unless your the NC) of a bowl.

As a fan I still prefer to go to a destination for a week and enjoy the bowl game. I doubt I would travel to 2, 3, 4 or how ever many playoff games there would be.

Reactions: Judoka

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Same here. As a player I loved the bowl experience, it was a 1 game reward for a good season. A playoff would be XX number of weeks to grind without the fun (unless your the NC) of a bowl.

As a fan I still prefer to go to a destination for a week and enjoy the bowl game. I doubt I would travel to 2, 3, 4 or how ever many playoff games there would be.

Assuming that television still wanted them and people traveled to them to watch them, the bowl games would still exists as the exhibition games that they are now.

A playoff is only going to produce 3, 7, or 15 games. The current bowl system demands something like, what, 30-40+ or something like that? There's plenty of demand.

There's no reason that teams that lose in the first round or two of a playoff could not play in a bowl game, as well, maybe even against each other, depending on the schedule.

Teams that had good seasons can go and enjoy that "one last hurrah" with their own fan bases, and people watch football basically no matter what, so they still happen.

I think the schools that make an expanded playoff would be pretty happy for the extra games against high-quality competition for the ultimate reward for success at the end, too.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The bowl system is so unique and wonderful. I hate to see it slipping away because of the expanding playoffs.

And frankly, do most Iowa State fans really care who is the national champion? Do the fans of most teams really care? Or do they care more that their team competes for their conference championship? Beats Iowa? Beats Texas? Beats Oklahoma?

The people who care the most about the national championship (other than the fans of the blueblood teams) are the people who care the least about any actual teams (e.g. TV executives, gamblers).

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So FCS has a 24 team format (16 first round teams and winners play 8 who got first round byes) if I'm reading that right?

I'd love that. Perhaps do that and an NIT of 16 more, and no more meaningless bowl games.

I like this, although I'd go with 16 for both.

I never look at the numbers, but how much do those companies really make overall when they have light crowds at meaningless bowl games?

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
All of the talk of "taking the bowls away" Why not still have a major sponsor for these games? In a way they could be considered bowl games, just like the Semi's are with the CFP.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
All of the talk of "taking the bowls away" Why not still have a major sponsor for these games? In a way they could be considered bowl games, just like the Semi's are with the CFP.

A bowl game is much more than a sponsored event. It is a destination . . . for fans . . . and for the season.

During the NCAA tournament, I spend a lot of time getting ready for the possibilities of the next weekend, not just enjoying the weekend we are in.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron