FAWcast 108: Monte not an NBA player?

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by isu2014, Jan 10, 2017.

1. isu2014

isu2014 Active Member

May 16, 2011
    Male
    Oskaloosa, IA
    #1 isu2014, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Hey guys,

I was re-listening to the latest FAWcast and I heard a statement that I didn't catch last time. It's at the 15:07 mark. I think it's Adam Gray that says "There's not an NBA player on the team..."

Have expectations for Monte really dropped that far, or did he just not think about him when saying that? I even think Deonte will get a shot at the league with his body type and skillset, but I'd think we CERTAINLY have Monte as an NBA player. He's currently mocked 36th overall to Boston.

Link to FAWcast here.

2. rholtgraves

rholtgraves Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    I think he can be a second round pick but I don't know if he makes a roster. He still isn't a great outside shooter isn't extremely quick or that great of an athlete also not a great defender. But who cares really? All that matters for ISU is that he is a really good college PG. Oh yeah, and the most reliable draft site has him 40th right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. CyTwins

CyTwins Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Ankeny
    Monte will get drafted and be a serviceable backup PG in the NBA IMO

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Yeah, there is still room for a good ball handling, great passing, low mistake floor general in the NBA.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. cbclone16

cbclone16 New Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Male
    Not sure he is an NBA player. His outside shot is inconsistent and he can't create his own shot. He is a great college point guard, but I don't see it in the NBA.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. isu2014

isu2014 Active Member

May 16, 2011
    Male
    Oskaloosa, IA
    That was my thought. I never thought that Monte's NBA potential was in question as far as making a permanent roster spot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AdamJGray

AdamJGray Administrator
    Staff Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Male
    Monte has a shot at being drafted in the 2nd round. One thing to remember is right now he's mocked in at 36th but you know some international players will jump in there pushing that back. And then who knows later in the 2nd round.

From there I think he's a D league guy for a couple years and than overseas. I hope I'm wrong as I'd love for him to be a pro.

FYI this isn't a knee jerk comment from me. I've long said that as good as Monte is, I didn't think he was an NBA PG.

• Agree Agree x 10
  8. Stewo

Stewo Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Male
    Commodity buyer
    Iowa
    I think this season has proven that he's not an NBA guy. That said, I'm not an NBA scout and have no idea what I'm talking about. So, yeah.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Rabbuk

Rabbuk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    He reminds me of a worse shabazz Napier

10. CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
    Ankeny
    Career 38.1% 3 pt shooter

• Like Like x 1
  11. AdamJGray

AdamJGray Administrator
    Staff Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Male
    Remember how shocked people were that Kane and Ejim didn't make a roster? Ejim was Big 12 POTY.

Making the NBA is REALLY REALLY hard.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. CycloneBBFan

CycloneBBFan Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Male
    I hope Monte earns a fat paycheck after college be it the NBA or Europe. I think his dream was always to help his mom. For all he's done for ISU I pray his dreams come true.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. isu2014

isu2014 Active Member

May 16, 2011
    Male
    Oskaloosa, IA
    Those are really valid points. I just think that he's good enough as a floor general to be at least a backup somewhere. Here's to hoping he can make that happen!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. isu2014

isu2014 Active Member

May 16, 2011
    Male
    Oskaloosa, IA
    On the flipside, not a lot of people expected Niang to do quite as well as he has, or Nader to get drafted (and tear up the D League). Another one that comes to mind is Bryce DeJean Jones. I think some expected him to get a shot, but not play meaningful mins in an NBA game. It's super hard to predict who will transition to the pros, you're right.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. MartinCy

MartinCy Active Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Male
    Cedar Rapids
    Spot on. A lot of people don't understand this. A maximum of 15 players (13 active) on 30 teams doesn't leave room for a lot of new spots year to year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. cbclone16

cbclone16 New Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Male
    Stats don't always tell the story. Thomas is a career 37.7% 3 point shooter. Now, does that mean Monte is a better shooter than Matt? No. Point is, anyone can watch the game and tell he struggles with that.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Cy$

Cy$ Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Being an a-hole
    Ames
    hard to tell since there's still a long time away. This draft is suppose to be very good so my guess is no but there's a long time to go. Teams will be concerned about his offensive game at the next level. I'm not sure how well he'd do defensively in the NBA either. Checking PG's in the NBA (Curry, Westbrook, Wall, Harden, Irving, Lowry, CP3, Lillard, etc) is a lot different than college players.

He's certainly better than Isaiah Cousins who got drafted by the Kings with the 2nd to last pick, so that range is where I see him going if he gets drafted. A team that needs a backup PG or a team that needs guards for training camp/D-League depth would look into him I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
    Ankeny
    I wouldn't say Matt or Monte are inconsistent 3 pt shooters actually. I don't understand how you can say a 38.1% 3 pt shooter struggles shooting the 3 pt shot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
    Ankeny
    Monte is a better NBA prospect than both Kane and Ejim. Ejim was a tweener and Kane was too old. I think Monte will get drafted and make a roster as a backup PG but wouldn't be blown away if he doesn't.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  20. jkclone

jkclone Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Male
    Student & Iowa State Fan
    Urbandale
    I don't know how anyone was really surprised neither made it. I thought Kane had a decent chance but the NBA's fascination with the next young guy killed him.

I also thought BDJ, Nader, and Niang would make it. BDJ and Nader just have the bodies. Niang is a tweener but is good enough he was going to get a shot.

Morris will make it and be a successful backup. He fits the needs for a backup well. Someone who can come in distribute the ball and not screw up while the starter gets a break.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1