Favorite place of all time?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 4theCYcle, May 7, 2014.

1. 4theCYcle

4theCYcle Active Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Altoona, IA
    What is everyone's favorite place they've ever been to, whether it be US or abroad and why do you like that place so much?? Is it because of the people, culture, scenery (both people and environment), experiences with another person, etc.? I'm a person that loves to travel and would take personal experiences over materials any day. I like to learn about other cultures, as it seems to give me an appreciation for what I have back home. Traveling is definitely an addiction.

It's a tough decision, but I'd have to go with Scotland for the scenery/people. The highlands were pretty cool and hiking around Edinburgh gave me an appreciation for their country. My friends that went all had a blast and it'd be a country we'd probably go back to.

My least favorite would have been South Dakota to the black hills as a kid. I ended up getting sick outside of Perkins and threw up everywhere.

2. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Can't say I've been a ton of places, but Key West in February was just awesome. In the middle of a crappy winter, sunny and 80, low of 70 every day we were there.

3. pourcyne

pourcyne Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2011
    For a learning experience, it has to be Pompeii and Herculaneum. It's a trip back to 79 AD. These old cities are stunningly fascinating, and you will learn many truths about mankind, things you never, ever realized before. While you're there, you must also visit the museum where many "finds" from the digs are displayed in Naples. Extraordinary.

4. CoKane

CoKane Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Cedar Rapids
    Your mom's bedroom. Booooooooooooooooooooom

5. Luth4Cy

Luth4Cy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Ames, IA
    Family farm.

6. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

That sounds awesome and would be high on my list of places to see.

7. CycloneNorth

CycloneNorth Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Clarksville, TN
  8. pulse

pulse Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Hilton.

9. 4theCYcle

4theCYcle Active Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Altoona, IA
    So they still have "your mom" jokes in middle school? They must let anyone sign up for CF.

10. CoKane

CoKane Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2013
    Cedar Rapids
    Relax. It was a joke. I thought the extra long boom took the place of a jimlad.

11. mcblogerson

mcblogerson Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Ohio
    Favorite place overall- Railay Bay, Thailand, amazing scenery, friendly locals, great food

Other great places I've been:
    Krakow, Poland- great food, good partying, beautiful architecture, lots of hot chicks.
    Hong Kong- it's like a cleaner, nicer, cheaper and more scenic NYC
    Amsterdam- hookers, weed, booze. It's a carnival of sin, like what Vegas thinks it is.
    Rome, Paris, Budapest- all have excellent history, architecture, food, scenery
    Cusco, Peru- amazing scenery and history, friendly people, good food and booze.
    New Orleans- awesome food, great party city
    San Francisco- great city and great jumping off point for Yosemite, Redwoods, desert, ocean, Napa.

Worst places:
    Nebraska as a whole, I did like the SAC air museum though
    Columbus, OH- it's a soulless generic borefest full of chain restaurants, lame OSU tards and nothing of interest to do.
    Houston, TX- it's a smelly dump and the locals are mostly garbage too which explains the smell

12. Incyte

Incyte Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2007
    I loved Ireland in general and Galway in particular. However I also love my family farm down here in South-central Iowa too.

13. cychhosis

cychhosis Well-Known Member

May 12, 2006
    Retired Teacher
    S.E. Iowa
    November 18th, 2011 is my favorite place in all time.

14. bigdaddykane

bigdaddykane Active Member

Mar 3, 2014
  15. WhatchaGonnaDo

WhatchaGonnaDo Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Male
    Bavarian alps in Germany. Stumbled into a hostel and spent the night in Füssen drinking at biergartens and riding bikes around the area. Rode up to the Neuschwanstein castle the next day. Swam in the spring fed lake near the castles.

Just beautiful around there.

16. enisthemenace

enisthemenace Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Runnells, IA
    Pretty much any golf course. I know others have been more fortunate than me, but Troon North is the coolest course I've played. The greatest place for me though is down the street. Waveland.

17. cowgirl836

cowgirl836 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Probably Scotland for me as well. Didn't get to make it to the Highlands, but I so badly want to go back. I loved the culture and scenery. I just love everything Scottish. I'm definitely doing a return trip to the UK and Ireland.

Chattanooga or Nashville for the US and then the beach in Negril and the Reading Room in Kildee for the memories :)

I should probably put the family farm on the list as well :p

Least favorite.......

the Dakotas in winter and the middle of Nebraska aren't terribly exciting.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TOFB4ISU

TOFB4ISU Member

Nov 6, 2010
    The QC
    Starved Rock State Park in Illinois, for reasons that can't be explained

19. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Rome, Italy

20. CyCrazy

CyCrazy Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Male
    Asst. Super.
    Roland
    Ames
    Red Rocks in Colorado
    Okoboji
    Mexico
    Jackson Hole, Wyoming
    When and if I ever retire Germany will be #1.