Favorite DSM Car Wash?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ficklone02, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Ficklone02

Ficklone02 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    CPA
    City by the Bay
    I have noticed a trend recently that the avg price for a spotless car wash has escalated from $5 to around $12.....my favorite place used to be the Phillips66 at the intersection of 86th & 80/35, it had brushes and left your car sparkling...now I can't seem to find a good one for less than $10. Any favorites around town that seem reasonable? Thanks in advance for anybody's input!

2. Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
    CPA
    City by the Bay
    Anyone have any input here?:smile:

3. CyDude16

CyDude16 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    SuperFan
    Heads in the sky
    I always liked the one over by legends and wynsong theatre. It has brick and like red and black siding on the roof, last i saw it was closed though?

4. TarHeelHawk

TarHeelHawk Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Beer Guy
    W. Des Moines
    I can't remember the name of the place, but the wash at the corner of University and 22nd and 86th always get the "best of Des Moines" vote in Cityview.

That being said, I think the best car wash anywhere is the one that's done in the driveway with a hose and sponge.

5. AIT

AIT Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Johnston, IA
    The one closest to my house I guess. I'm also not an automatic car wash kind of guy, so maybe I'm not selective enough.

6. DavClone

DavClone Member

Apr 12, 2006
    30 minutes from Hilton
    #6 DavClone, Apr 4, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
    I usually let the rain take care of it. I got a new vehicle so I may have to change my ways.

7. TarHeelHawk

TarHeelHawk Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Beer Guy
    W. Des Moines
    To answer the original question, there is an auto-wash next to the Kum&Go on Mills and 50th, and the most expensive wash is 11.00, but prices start at 8.00.

There's an identical one in front of the Hy-Vee at 74th and University.

8. Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
    CPA
    City by the Bay
    i live pretty close to their i'll take a peek next time i drive by...thanks

9. CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
    SuperFan
    Heads in the sky
    Last I saw, which was maybe may or june of last year it was closed for an unknown reason, but i'm sure it's open again.

10. Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
    CPA
    City by the Bay
    i'd be happy if my car was nice and shined up for $8....i'll try that one thx.

11. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    I never use car washes. I'm old school and do it by hand. I spend a lot of time caring for my cars finish and that will all be wiped out after a couple of times with those high pressure wands. I guess I have used car washes on cars that I didn't really care about.

Before anyone says anything, I'm aware that I'm weird.

12. CyinCo

CyinCo Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Engineer
    Clive, IA
    There is one on Hickman near the ice arena for the Bucs. I don't know what it is called but it does a really good job. It is NOT touch free though. In fact, that is what I like about it. Touch free sucks. It never gets the tough stuff off. Yeah, I know there is a risk that someone drove through with a rust bucket and now pieces of that rust bucket are caught up in the mops.

There is a guy that scrubs the front and back of the car prior to entering the tunnel and then the tunnel has the "old fashioned" mops that hang from the cieling and spin on the sides. It also has an air dryer that the machine pulls you through at a nice slow space.

I suppose if I had a Ferrari, I wouldn't go there but I trust it with my WRX.

13. illinoiscyclone

illinoiscyclone Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Student
    Ames
    #13 illinoiscyclone, Apr 4, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
    I sort of understand this now. I was washing my mom's new 08 tiburon (I know my mom is a dummy) at a brand new carwash back home last summer with the wand and it took the paint off of her front bumper.

14. CycloneDaddy

CycloneDaddy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Johnston
    That one is open for business but there is never anyone there because everyone thinks it is closed. The machines don't take the new dollar bills (at least I believe that was the problem) though so be careful about that and sometimes it won't take your credit card either.

I also like the tunnel on Merle Hay Road next to Bennigans restaurant. You can get your car washed there for around $6 and you get free vacuum.

15. Chipper

Chipper Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Is Mister Car Wash the only one in the area that will shampoo my carpet or detail work? Any recomendations?

16. Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
    CPA
    City by the Bay
    Curious to know what materials you use when you wash it at home. I've actually never shopped for materials, so I have no idea what's out there.

17. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    About any car wash stuff is fine. You just have to make sure that you always have a clean sponge and you're not rubbing small pebbles into your paint.

To dry it I just use one of those rubber rags.

For wax/sealent I use some stuff called Zaino.

18. SeattleClone

SeattleClone Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2006
    I'll use an automatic a couple times in the winter to keep the grime/salt in check. During the summer I usually try to pick a time when I can do my car and bike at the same time in my driveway. I just use Maguires car was solution and the same brand of wax on my bike (my car isn't worth waxing). Also I'm currently using a regular chamois but I'm thinking of switching to a Sham-WOW so I can dry my car and clean up hooker blood at the same time. :biglaugh:

19. CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
    SuperFan
    Heads in the sky
    Don't forget to buy the Slap-Chop, so you can Slap-Chop a hooker when you feel like it.

20. HOTDON

HOTDON Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Fort Dodge, IA
    My least favorite is the one at Karl Chevrolet. They game me a freebie, but the frickin' thing is never open when I'm down there. They are all automatic bays; THEY CAN BE OPEN WITHOUT PEOPLE BEING THERE. THAT'S THE POINT OF HAVING AUTOMATIC BAYS. I've had a ticket since January that I haven't been able to use.

I also got a free one when I bought my car there, but had to wait 30 minutes to get in because of all the people in line. Seems like both of those issues could be addressed simultaneously.........