Fan Support Unchecked at ISU Wrestling Kickoff Dinner

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by chadm, Oct 16, 2009.

1. chadm

chadm Giving it a go

Apr 11, 2006
    Midwest
    more

2. woodie

woodie Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    GO CYCLONE WRESTLERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. cycloneML

cycloneML Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Kansas
    I bet we see a much more aggressive style than in recent past.

4. woodie

woodie Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    our new coach with his current wrestling squad should bring us home a national championship-that will help his recruiting immensely. we have a new sheriff in town!!! ole sanderson will wish he would have stayed in ames instead of going to penn state.

5. redrocker

redrocker Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    M.M.F.I.C.
    Ames - West-CY'd
    Anyone see the new Wrestling posters. They show the seniors and all the great wrestlers of the past. They left one person off the poster, guess who.

6. CyBobby

CyBobby Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Central Iowa

Yur rite woodie forget olde sanderson he's OLD NEWS!!!!!!

Go Cyclones wrestle'em into the mat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yes:

7. isukendall

isukendall Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Research Scientist
    Fort Collins, CO
    Wow, I saw a low-res version of the poster, but it got past me that they left Sanderson out of it.

I can see why, but at the same time he IS the best collegiate wrestler of all time. Seems silly to have a poster bragging about "tradition" and not including the only undefeated, 4-time national champ, regardless of what happened with his coaching career.

Is Gable in the poster?

8. clones_jer

clones_jer Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2006
    IA
    I'd have to agree. I haven't seen it (could someone post a pic or link?), but if true that seems really shallow for Iowa State.

If you want to go with that theme - put Cael in there. Maybe they could have avoided that theme altogether for a couple years.

9. Clonefan32

Clonefan32 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Don't like the idea of leaving him off the poster. He has done just as much for the image of the University as any other athlete we have ever had, maybe more. He went where the money and a novel challenge is, doesn't affect the great years he gave to the school while a student-athlete.

10. cyfanatic

cyfanatic Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I was at the tailgate tour stop in Cedar Rapids last spring...and I came away very excited after speaking with Coach Jackson! One thought I had after visiting with him and listening to him address those in attendance...Coach Jackson won't back down from any challenge! None! He specifically mentioned the challenge that is located just to the east of Iowa State! He was great!

11. CRcyclone6

CRcyclone6 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Male
    Recruiting
    Cedar Rapids

kinda like the Yankees not having any pics of Joe Torre around new Yankee Stadium. I haven't seen it either, but how can you not have the greatest collegiate wrestler of all-time not in there.

12. sunset

sunset Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Corporate Finance
    San Diego, CA
    I have to agree with the decision, leave him off. Transitions like this need to be clean in the short run. In no way shoul Cael be associated with ISU wrestling for the next few years. Eventually they will work him back in, but for now this has to be about the people taking this program forward.

13. clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
    IA
    its petty, ISU needs to act like the grown up. seperate Cael "ISUs best wrester" from the Cael "who just broke up with us"

the only reason I can possibly see is if Cael somehow has rights to his likeness and would not allow it.

14. sunset

sunset Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Corporate Finance
    San Diego, CA
    It's not petty in any way, shape, or form. It's a basic organizational behavior issue. When you have a change in leadership you make it a clean cut. It's best for the organization. You can't have thoughts/images/other residual of the former leader hanging around. The only people making it personal are the ones upset about it.

15. 1100011CS

1100011CS Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Marshalltown

16. clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
    IA
    then why put former greats on a wrestling schedule poster?

better to leave it off the table altogether, go with a pic of the new coach and his boys - a lot like football did.

It would be like if the football poster came out Chiz's first year and had all the "ISU coaching greats" and left Mac off ... its just stupid to even put it out there in the first place

has anyone got a link to this poster yet? I may be way off.

17. Cykobabble

Cykobabble New Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Hey Chris, could we get an updated wrestling schedule and roster on this site?